FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stuck in 3rd

My VIN:    4158

Stuck in 3rd

Need a few ideas of where to start. I've only had my DMC for a year, so not real familiar with it yet, and will need the help of a mechanic, but I want to know what to start looking for. I have an 1981 Auto Transmission, and it is stuck in 3rd. Fine at high way speeds, but super slow coming out of the hole. You cannot manually shift it. If you manually put it into 1st it is the same. So I am hoping you guys can give me some direction on what to check so when I visit my mechanic, I can stay in tune with him. Thanks.
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

My VIN:    2628

Quote Originally Posted by darylfelsberg View Post
    Need a few ideas of where to start. I've only had my DMC for a year, so not real familiar with it yet, and will need the help of a mechanic, but I want to know what to start looking for. I have an 1981 Auto Transmission, and it is stuck in 3rd. Fine at high way speeds, but super slow coming out of the hole. You cannot manually shift it. If you manually put it into 1st it is the same. So I am hoping you guys can give me some direction on what to check so when I visit my mechanic, I can stay in tune with him. Thanks.
    Maybe the transmission computer/govenor ?
    That is where i would start.
    Did it used to shift fine and then just start acting like this?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Most likely the governor - search for that word on here and you will find plenty of info, including how to build a simple light box to check for operation.

You really shouldn't drive on it if it isn't changing gears.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

Check the red, 10 Amp fuse in spot #13. If you lose that fuse, the transmission electronics are designed to keep it in 3rd gear.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    4158

Hey I found it. When I went to check the fuse i notice the fuse was ok, but the wire and cli[p had backed itself out. All is well......for now. Thanks!
    Daryl Felsberg
    www.darylfelsberg.com

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by darylfelsberg View Post
    Hey I found it. When I went to check the fuse i notice the fuse was ok, but the wire and cli[p had backed itself out. All is well......for now. Thanks!
    Glad to hear Daryl! Those fuse or relay underneath connections can be a PITA.

The only reason I knew of the fuse #13 bit with keeping it in 3rd was from some troubleshooting advice I got from Mr. Swingle when my governor was shot. My trans was staying in gear late, so at 5,000 RPM and 55 km/hr in town, it would finally thunder into 2nd. If you yank the fuse while driving, it will go into 3rd when you do it. It drops the RPMs and like you said, is gutless off a start. Not for the faint of heart as reaching around and back into the fuse relay area while driving down the road is a bit tricky. I made myself a toggle switch for this purpose just to do the test. These cars are pretty silly sometimes.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior