FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Avoiding "The Cost Questions"

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Avoiding "The Cost Questions"

Over the past 4 years ive noticed the most common question I get while out driving my car seems to change with every season. However over the last six months i'd say, the most common and honestly irritating questions Im getting is about the cost of my car.

"Hey what did you pay for that?"
    "What does one of those cost these days?"
    "How much did you pick that up for man?"
    "Yo what is that worth?.......

It goes on and on in different variations and I really hate hearing it mostly because thats kind of an inappropriate question and I dont now what to say that is short, simple, and non personal to make them go away. This is a personal question, one that should not be the first thing you throw out of you mouth at a stranger. Its just plain rude! Honestly if it just one person and they seem genuinely interested hearing about the car, I will tell them the truth but more often than not there is another two people behind them about to ask the same thing in another irritating way. It makes me cringe.

Its not like they are even being polite about it, first saying "Hello, nice car, ive always liked them and would love to own one someday, may I asked roughly what should I expect to pay to acquire a lovely car like your?" (asking from an educational point of view or something.)

No, to me all I hear is " Shit dawg, how big is yo bank account fool? I gotta know what you think that whip is worth so I can judge you and know how fat yo wallet is."

Not to be stereotypical or racist but thats how it feels to me especially when its being asked by some person driving by in a hardly road worthy POS full of McDonalds wrappers, holding a joint in one hand out on their Tuesday afternoon drive to spend their welfare check. I really want to say "Keep dreaming, Too much for you sucka!" But im not an asshole like that.

I don't like going the truthful route either as it takes too much time to explain, I really bought my car for just $5,000(but it was a basket case project) but that make our cars sound really cheap and would further continue rumors that our cars are poorly made piles, So I would have to go on and explain how ive put another $13k or so into it over the last four years with thousands of hrs in hard work..... this spawns more questions that I usually dont have time or patience to answer again and again.

So for the nice people just say " it was $XX,XXX" and to the rude ones maybe I should just ask what their pile cost or what that piece of jewelry they have on cost?

Ideas?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

I usually counter with "Make me an offer". That separates those that are truly interested in learning (who can then get the ~$25K rule of thumb lecture) from those that are blowing smoke. Who knows, one of them could just be dumb and rich enough to make your day!
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I also do not like answering these questions and throwing out numbers. I consider my financial situation very personal. This may be due to the fact that I do not like to brag perhaps? I will say, at this point my bank account is nothing to brag about haha.

I usually counter by changing the subject. Just kind of step around it. Maybe talk about the market price of a decent running car, not mine in specific.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    3305

I would say "I paid its price". And I said it sometimes, some people are smart enough to realize that that was not an elegant question.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

"I won it on a raflle"
    Over and out!

My VIN:    03572

Just say, I would not sell mine for $??,000. So if the guy makes you a higher offer, take him up on it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Just say, I would not sell mine for $??,000.
    That's a really good answer!
    Chris

My VIN:    5757

I get this question at least once at every cruise night. I typically say, "enough."

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Do owners of other classic cars get this question or is this strictly a DeLorean phenomenon?

I usually answer this question by not specifically stating what I paid, rather by give a very broad price range - "You can find one anywhere from 10 to 60 grand depending on if it's a parts car or totally rebuilt from the ground up" (my estimated figures can change depending on my mood). I follow this up by quickly changing the subject like pointing out the doors, stainless, etc.

It's funny how people are so guarded about this question. I've owned a few different classics over the years, but the DeLorean is the only one that seems to raise this question almost immediately. In all fairness, I've been most active (car shows, etc) in the DeLorean. I agree that is not exactly decorum to ask this question, but I'm not sure why. I mean I dislike it because "I know it's rude" or because I was brought up this way and informed that questions like that are rude. But apparently, a good handful of other people, some even older did not get this memo. I dunno. Typically I'm evasive with my answers, if its close to the lead off question, but if, through the course of the conversation cost comes up, I may or may not answer how much I personally paid for it.
    1-800-273-8255

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast