FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How do I get inner door handle back on

My VIN:    2848

How do I get inner door handle back on

I removed my lower door panel bit can't get it back on. How do you get the inside grab handle on. I can't screw it back in cause the door panel is in the way. Tricks tips please

What order does the grab handle go in. Do I put it on first than try to finagle the lower door panel around it
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    6313

I have put the lower panel in place first and then the grab handle. Securing the grab handle in place means reaching through the gap left by the Escutcheon and fixing two bolts in place on the bracket at the back (inside the door) of the handle. It is a royal PITA. I use a 1/4 socket on the end of an extender. Inside the socket I put some trim adhesive (holds the bolt in place but can be pulled off) (Alternatively, blu-tac for the Brits or a small ball of duct-tape for the Americans). The hardest part is getting the bolt, handle, and door lined up, especially since (on my car) some of the door lock/unlock rods are in the way.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

There has got to be a better way. How the hell did they do it in the factory.
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by Totally 80s View Post
    There has got to be a better way. How the hell did they do it in the factory.
    Leprechauns with tiny hands.
    Barry

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

The door mechanics are just plain awful. i have said it in the past and I will say it again, this car was poorly engineered. Struggle putting in those bolts, it is just how it is. I do tape the bolt to the socket with electrical tape so it does not fall out, which helps a little.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

I was able to pre bolt the front (of the car side) bolt then squeeze the bottom door piece around the door handle. I chose the front bolt because its the hardest and farthest away. I then used an extension on the rear side bolt. This way I only had to struggle with one bolt instead of two. Made it a little easier but it is a crappy design.
    -Alex

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Put the lower door panel on & screw it down / clip it in. Then screw the bracket to the grab handle and push it through the lower door panel so that the bracket mounting holes line up with the holes on the door itself. If you're taking the screws out on the sides of the handle instead of the bolts that hold the handle bracket to the door, you're in for a nightmare...

Below is the same method I use, escutcheon off, you lift up the door handle inside and hold it in place with a screw driver wedged between the handle and trim. Trim adhesive is an excellent idea to hold the bolt in the socket, prior to reading that I just stuffed a piece of paper towel inside a 10mm socket so the bolt wouldn't sink all the way down in it. You will need to work around a lock rod to get the rear bolt in but the front bolt should be easy to access without the escutcheon or mirror switch (driver side, or that rectangular piece that takes the of the switch on the passenger side).

However, I do find it much easier to do all of this with the door open instead of closed - lean on the windshield pillar and you'll be working level instead of down. Also if you get longer 10mm bolts its much easier to get them started than short ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I have put the lower panel in place first and then the grab handle. Securing the grab handle in place means reaching through the gap left by the Escutcheon and fixing two bolts in place on the bracket at the back (inside the door) of the handle. It is a royal PITA. I use a 1/4 socket on the end of an extender. Inside the socket I put some trim adhesive (holds the bolt in place but can be pulled off) (Alternatively, blu-tac for the Brits or a small ball of duct-tape for the Americans). The hardest part is getting the bolt, handle, and door lined up, especially since (on my car) some of the door lock/unlock rods are in the way.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-24-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Leprechauns with tiny hands.
    LOL!

I use the next best thing: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?99...031#post146031