FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Close call today

My VIN:    5482

Close call today

It had been probably 3 weeks or so since I'd last driven my car. The battery was down so I stuck it on the charger and got it cranked just fine. It fired up relatively quickly. I noticed a pretty bad miss especially at low RPMs. I pulled the car out of my garage and onto on my driveway. I noticed the car was surging and missing really bad at this point. It's never done this before. I get out of the car and go to inspect the engine.

At this point I notice flames on the left side of my engine. The flames are small and concentrated in the area towards the forward most cylinder in between the cylinder head and the left side of the air intake manifold. First thing I do is shut off the engine. Next think I do is haul-ass over to get my Dr Pepper off my work bench. Luckily I had quite a bit left. The soft drink easily extinguished the fire. Now I'm sitting there staring at everything with a heart rate of 150+ probably.

It appears the only thing damaged I can tell so far is the spark plug wires. They bubbled up from the heat. I'd say the flames were present maybe 30 seconds tops before I got it put out. I was planning on replacing the spark plugs and wires soon anyways so no big deal there. But what I'm trying to figure out now is:

1. How did this fire start?
    2. How do I prevent it from happening again?

I'd guess that this is fuel system related but I never really smelled raw gasoline or anything like that. What ignited it? Maybe the flashpoint of gasoline was near the temp of the cylinder head?

I did find a broken spliced ground wire. One side terminated on the fuel injection manifold metal and the other side I haven't found yet? Is this a ground wire for the Bosch K-jet?

With the help of a few neighbors, we pushed the car back into my garage. I'm going to start making a list of what to rebuild and replace and I'd like any input from fellow owners and experts.

This certainly was the biggest scare I've had since I've owned the car. I'm very glad I wasn't out on the road when it happened or else it may look like the other guy's car that caught fire last weekend in Pennsylvania.

Fire(2)_2013_0928.jpgFire(1)_2013_0928.jpgFire(3)_2013_0928.jpg
    Jeff

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

These K-jet setups are 33 years old in some cases. Plastic hoses, ethanol gasoline, old fittings and gaskets...........

Everyone needs to be religiously checking their fuel and electrical components! The incident rate seems to be increasing.

Anyone wanting help to go EFI and replace all the old stuff, start by reading up and after that there are several of us willing to help.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Based upon This pic.

I noticed that the hoses are attached differently then my car.?

The only reason I noticed is because, I did an oil change today and noticed that the vaccum line/hose? connected to the top of my CSV was slightly torn around the hose clamp.
    Being that the hose was connected to the top of the oil filler cap. I figured it was a vacuum line.

Now I wonder which one is Right? Or, are both?

George
    Attached Images
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Based upon This pic.

The only reason I noticed is because, I did an oil change today and noticed that the vaccum line/hose? connected to the top of my CSV was slightly torn around the hose clamp.
    Being that the hose was connected to the top of the oil filler cap. I figured it was a vacuum line.

Now I wonder which one is Right? Or, are both?

George
    Assuming your car is the lower pic, that's incorrect. The hose from the oil filler cap usually goes to the lower fitting. Functionally it makes no difference. They are both vacuum lines, and internally go to the same place.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    It had been probably 3 weeks or so since I'd last driven my car. The battery was down so I stuck it on the charger and got it cranked just fine. It fired up relatively quickly. I noticed a pretty bad miss especially at low RPMs. I pulled the car out of my garage and onto on my driveway. I noticed the car was surging and missing really bad at this point. It's never done this before. I get out of the car and go to inspect the engine.

At this point I notice flames on the left side of my engine. The flames are small and concentrated in the area towards the forward most cylinder in between the cylinder head and the left side of the air intake manifold. First thing I do is shut off the engine. Next think I do is haul-ass over to get my Dr Pepper off my work bench. Luckily I had quite a bit left. The soft drink easily extinguished the fire. Now I'm sitting there staring at everything with a heart rate of 150+ probably.

It appears the only thing damaged I can tell so far is the spark plug wires. They bubbled up from the heat. I'd say the flames were present maybe 30 seconds tops before I got it put out. I was planning on replacing the spark plugs and wires soon anyways so no big deal there. But what I'm trying to figure out now is:

1. How did this fire start?
    2. How do I prevent it from happening again?

]
    Jump the RPM relay to turn on the fuel pump. You'll find the leak. I'll bet the hose to the CSV, but could be any of them, maybe right at one of the injectors. Typically they crack at the fitting but inside the rubber jacket so you don't necessarily see a spray, more of a dribble. A spark from a loose plug wire will set it off without it being very hot.

If you really want to sleep well, replace the fuel lines and copper rings. Kits are available.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Jump the RPM relay to turn on the fuel pump. You'll find the leak. I'll bet the hose to the CSV, but could be any of them, maybe right at one of the injectors. Typically they crack at the fitting but inside the rubber jacket so you don't necessarily see a spray, more of a dribble. A spark from a loose plug wire will set it off without it being very hot.

If you really want to sleep well, replace the fuel lines and copper rings. Kits are available.
    Yep, I'm thinking new plugs, plug wires, fuel lines and whatever else would need replacing while I'm in there. Are the copper rings what seals the injectors? What else would you recommend Dave?
    Jeff

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Assuming your car is the lower pic, that's incorrect. The hose from the oil filler cap usually goes to the lower fitting. Functionally it makes no difference. They are both vacuum lines, and internally go to the same place.
    Thanks for the reply Dave. Yes, my car is the lower pic I posted.
    If the hose placement is wrong, I'll fix it tomorrow. (Why didn't DMCF know/see this)?
    Maybe they Assumed what you said about them going to the same place?

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dave. Yes, my car is the lower pic I posted.
    If the hose placement is wrong, I'll fix it tomorrow. (Why didn't DMCF know/see this)?
    Maybe they Assumed what you said about them going to the same place?

George
    It's not critical. I just looked at several cars in the shop and one here was wrong (just came in today that way).
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

The hose going to the oil cap needs to be attached to the nipple that is an orifice (small ID). On my car the other nipple is a large ID but not sure that was not a PO mod. If your on the wrong nipple your idle may not come down to 775 when the engine is hot.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6679

Don't forget to add your specific circumstances to this thread.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast