FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Buick Grand National Motors...

My VIN:    1800

Buick Grand National Motors...

Does anyone here have experience with Buick Grand National motors? A friend of mine has a zero mile 3.8L Buick Grand National crate engine that he bought new in the 1980's. The other day he metioned to me that he would sell it if I was interested.

I know nothing about these motors and have no idea if this is a rare find and what the value would be. He's willing to sell it to me for $1,500. Does this sound like a good deal?

I don't really know what I would do with the thing. I know there are a few DeLoreans running around with this swap. Not saying that's something I would do with it, but it's an idea. At $1,500 is there any room for profit?

Like I said, I know very little about these motors so any thoughts and opinions are welcome.
    Last edited by StainlessBullet; 09-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
    Nathan D.

Current owner of #1800 - June '81, Black Interior, Manual, LS4 V8 swapped

Former owner of #3455 - Twin Turbo - Aug '81, Custom Interior, Manual

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

Former owner of #5788 - Oct '81, Grey Interior, Manual

YouTube - "Going Broke Garage"

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Definitely post this over on a grand national forum. Im sure u can resell it for a decent profit, especially if its a zero mile crate motor. Have u checked to make sure its not frozen? Its been sitting for a while..
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

While I dont have any real experience with GN engines. Ive always been thinking, yeah that would be a cool period swap to to but in 2013, why?

The 3.8 is an iron block, you would be adding alot more weight over the rear of the car over stock for what? Even when they came out the basic push rod engine was old technology, the most interesting thing about it was that its larger displacement american v6 with a turbo and EFI, That was never done before the 80's. All im saying is if you really wanted to go through the enormous about of work and difficulty involved in an engine swap, why not use something more modern, lighter, efficient, powerful, etc. That said it still would be an neat vintage swap IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Definitely post this over on a grand national forum. Im sure u can resell it for a decent profit, especially if its a zero mile crate motor. Have u checked to make sure its not frozen? Its been sitting for a while..
    Will do. I made sure to check and see if it was frozen and it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    While I dont have any real experience with GN engines. Ive always been thinking, yeah that would be a cool period swap to to but in 2013, why?

The 3.8 is an iron block, you would be adding alot more weight over the rear of the car over stock for what? Even when they came out the basic push rod engine was old technology, the most interesting thing about it was that its larger displacement american v6 with a turbo and EFI, That was never done before the 80's. All im saying is if you really wanted to go through the enormous about of work and difficulty involved in an engine swap, why not use something more modern, lighter, efficient, powerful, etc. That said it still would be an neat vintage swap IMO
    I really have no interest in doing this swap to my car. I'm always buying / selling and trading stuff, so that's more what I had in mind for this engine too.
    Last edited by StainlessBullet; 09-29-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    Nathan D.

Former owner of #2923 - The "Cornfield" DeLorean - Aug '81, Black Interior, Automatic

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I'm going to agree - if it is really a NOS Crate Buick GN engine, it will be worth a lot more to someone in the Buick GN crowd. It is a heavy cast iron beast.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

If you bought this and flipped it, would he still be you friend? lol

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    1374

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This is something I always think about. If a friend sells me a motor for $1000, and I dont use it and turn around and sell it unchanged for $2000, I figure I owe him another $500.00. -P
    A can of worms doesn't open itself.

Patrick Maruska Seattle WA USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DashEight View Post
    This is something I always think about. If a friend sells me a motor for $1000, and I dont use it and turn around and sell it unchanged for $2000, I figure I owe him another $500.00. -P
    My friend knows that I buy and sell different things all the time for extra income. That's the reason he told me about this motor in the first place.
    Nathan D.