FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Change the window motors (instructions from A1)

My VIN:    2848

How To: Change the window motors (instructions from A1)

When I was having problems with my window motor I called A1 electrics and asked them some questions. They sent me everything they had on the motor and instructions on how to replace it. I thought I would share what they gave me. They told me this stuff usually goes to mechanics and not private individuals because that is who they mostly sell to. Just thought it may help someone along the way. Here are their written instructions followed by the photos they sent me.

A 1 WINDOW MOTOR REGULATOR

Removal of DeLorean Window Regulator
    and
    Installation of A 1 Electric Window Regulator

Tools and Materials Needed:

Duct tape
    Long flat face screw driver ( 14” or longer shaft)
    10-12” long extension bar or smooth tool
    Large Phillips screw driver
    10 mm socket
    ¼ “ eight inch extension bar.
    Socket wrench
    10 mm x 12 mm long, fine thread machine screw ( two for two motors )
    10 mm fine thread nut ( two for two motors )
    Super glue

Note do not use electrical harness supplied.

1.Remove upper and lower interior trim panels per instructions in DeLorean service manual. Follow instructions to avoid damage and difficulty.
    2.Apply duct tape to stainless steel service access openings to avoid cutting hands.
    3.Tape moveable window to allow lowering window approx. 2”
    4.Note, when moveable window is separated from regulator, it can slide off guides and drop down into interior of door.
    5.Remove screws holding DeLorean motor bracket to the door.
    6.Remove bracket screws from window regulator and remove bracket from door.
    7.Remove elbow screw from door pull handle.
    8.Disconnect DeLorean motor terminal connection wire leads at the motor and note polarity.
    9.Move motor toward front of door so as to lower the moveable window approx, 2”.
    10.Remove the two nuts connecting the regulator tube butterfly tab to window rail.
    11.Remove DeLorean motor and regulator tube from interior of door.
    12.Remove four screws connecting door pull handle bracket and remove bracket from door.
    13.Disconnect door lock rod on one end and lower out of way.
    14.Remove A 1 Electric mounting bracket screws.
    15.Super glue black spacers to back side of bracket.
    16.Remove motor from the mounting bracket after noting the exact position of the ¼ square drive in the bracket hole,(suggest using magic marker).
    17.Place A 1 Electric motor inside door at same location as original motor by inserting regulator tube inside door through the service access opening.
    18.Insert motor mount bracket and reconnect to the motor noting the exact position of the ¼” square drive. Note, if misalignment has occurred, use ¼ ”socket extension to realign.
    19.Note that three black spacers are in place.
    20.Connect the regulator tube butterfly to the window rail and install the two nuts.
    21.Insert pull handle bracket into place but do not insert the four screws at this time.
    22.Connect the regulator tube lower tab to the pull handle bracket using the bracket hole nearest the back of edge of door or rear of car.

23.Thread the 25 mm screw one- half way into bracket hole.
    24.Install the four door handle bracket screws and tighten.
    25.Tighten the 25 mm screw the remaining length.
    26.Connect the motor wiring keeping connector’s flat side face to face. Test polarities by operating the window switch; reverse wires if necessary.
    27.Place one of the offset mounting brackets at the side of the motor through the service access opening.
    28.Place flat side of bracket to the door bottom screw hole nearest rear of car.(It is easier to install the screw from the inside of the access opening and apply the washer and nut from motor has been mounted the outside of the service access opening).
    29. Connect the opposite end of the offset bracket to the motor mount using the threaded hole nearest the red tube. Use a 10 mm short screw so as not to contact motor when tightened.
    30.Use a 10-12’ long dull rod, push the red tube toward the front of the door . Note, the red retraction tube is a guide to direct the regulator coil spring without restriction.
    31.Remove tape from movable window .
    32.Motor has been mounted. Before raising and lowering the window , loosen the two rear window rail nuts, raise and lower the window two or three times with the window switch for self alignment of the rail.
    33.Tighten the two rail nuts.
    34.Raise and lower the window. If the window tends to bind when lowering, rearrange red retraction tube to eliminate restriction .
    35.Raise and lower window several times to locate the red retraction tube in proper position.
    36.Tighten all screws and nuts.
    37.Reconnect the door lock rod.
    38.Remove duct tap from service access openings.
    39.Install the door trim panels per manual instructions.

A-1.jpgA-1_2.jpgBTAB.jpgDMChandle.jpgOEM.jpg
    -Alex
    We work jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need, to impress people we don't even like.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Very useful. Thanks for accumulating and posting
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6125

Thanks, this should be very helpful when I swap window motors next year

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

nice walk through.
    Numbering helps keep track while working at the same time.
    There was also a quite helpful video of that work on you tube fro anyone like me who can't help him self reading more than 3 lines of text

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Ha! I can't believe those instructions are still floating with A1. Byrne and I wrote those, took the pictures and sent them to A1 over 8 years ago. Wow, flashback!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

can anybody tell me where to find the adjuster bolts indicated by step 32?

Has anyone ever wondered why they supply the wrong wiring with it if it's supposed to be for a DeLorean? Makes you wonder why, for the price they want, they wouldn't just fix that problem before it ships.

-D Knight-

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    Has anyone ever wondered why they supply the wrong wiring with it if it's supposed to be for a DeLorean? Makes you wonder why, for the price they want, they wouldn't just fix that problem before it ships.

-D Knight-
    $470 for a pair is not THAT bad when you consider the other option$.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by D Knight View Post
    Has anyone ever wondered why they supply the wrong wiring with it if it's supposed to be for a DeLorean? Makes you wonder why, for the price they want, they wouldn't just fix that problem before it ships. -

I've often wondered the same thing. As far as I know it's intended for this application only, although I'll bet the electric motor is somewhat universal, and our quantities are pretty small in comparison to whatever else it is used on. So they don't bother.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3695

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by robvanderveer View Post
    can anybody tell me where to find the adjuster bolts indicated by step 32?
    found it
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402468254.725818.jpg
    Rob van der Veer

My mods? DeClock, keyless entry, Alpine audio setup, and much more.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast