FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DMCTalk's October 2013 Forum Member of the Month: Dangermouse!!

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

DMCTalk's October 2013 Forum Member of the Month: Dangermouse!!

My name is Dermot (no ‘n’- ). Perhaps I am an exotic Brazilian with no surname. I am a child of the 80s and picked Dangermouse as my user name as he was a favorite cartoon character of the era in the UK. Yes, I grew up in the UK, and sometimes have a funny accent. Spent my first 20-odd years in Dunmurry, less than a mile from the DeLorean factory, and as I stood in the rain waiting for the bus to take me to school, the NIC car transporters would pass me on their way to the docks, loaded up with these fantastic silver machines for those “lucky yanks”. I knew then that I would have one, one day. (and yes, I am oddly proud of my Fresh Prince parody lyrics in my profile). My early automotive practice involved working on a series of Renaults and Lancias that my father owned, before buying my first car, a 1980 Renault 5 (LeCar as it is known stateside).

Moved to the States 20 years ago and work as an Electrical Engineer in the cement industry (dry grey powder, rather than wet concrete) which has given me the opportunity to travel, perhaps too much at times, most recently to South America. I presently live in the Atlanta GA suburbs in my 4-3-2-1 household (4 cars, 3 cats, 2 kids, 1 wife) suburbs. I have a set of boy/girl twins (with my wonderful wife obviously), currently seniors in high school.

Kept an eye on ebay over the years monitoring prices of DeLoreans, trying to judge when the lines of disposable income, free time and purchase price of a DeLorean would intersect, but in the end, Fate presented me with one locally bellowing to a gent who no longer was interested in living the dream. It sat outside a strip mall for 6 months, I believe calling me every day as I passed, begging for rescue, door jammed shut (it turned out), windows slightly open, not moving. It really wasn’t the right time for me to take on a project car, but my wife told me it was Lady Fate intervening. Tracked the owner down by knocking on shop doors, and agreed a price. Only then did I start looking for on-line help, discovering DMCTalk in October of 2008 (co-incidentally I have been awarded this great honor on the 5 year anniversary of getting my car). I was shocked and surprised at the amount of help available and with everyone’s help, was able to get it operational again, but it is still very much a rolling-resto car, currently laid up with a dodgy transmission.

The following couple of years signaled a slow-down in my industry, which directly related to the amount of posts I would make on here. I like to think of ‘Talk as a community (rather than just a trouble-shooting source like my other automotive fora), where members are here for the long run, where we can get to know each other better. Undoubtedly a high point was attending DCS in Orlando and meeting many of the people on here.

I christened my car “Marmite” from the advertising motto of that delicious British vegetable spread “You Either Love or Hate It” as certain family members aren’t fans. I am obviously interested in the history of the car and its place in NI industry and have a strange obsession with locating where all the cars are now. I will get a definite clarification on that 6500 number, if it is the last thing I do. I do as much work myself on my cars as possible, learning all the time.

Also have a Triumph TR6 non-runner which I need to get to. I am a high-school fencing director during term time, and work with my son’s robotics club, but spend most of my free time doing DIY around the house. Too many projects keep me from the DeLorean, but the kids off to college next September so huge changes afoot. Ecstatic that NBCSN are now showing the English soccer live every weekend.

Congratulations, Dermot!!!
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    03572

Congratulations, Dermot. You will get more time when the kids are away at college.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Congrats! Looks like I get to ride your coat-tails for a month!

Also, very interesting to read that story. I didn't know all that.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

So judging from your story, you're the young Asian fellow in the picture?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    5302

Haha, not sure if that's a legitimate guess or you know it's wrong. But I'm the guy on the left. The Asian guy is the Mattel employee responsible for making all the Hotwheels DeLoreans a reality. And of course, the man of the hour Dermot on the right.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Congrats Dermot!

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

THanks for the kind words.

Yes, if it wasn't self evident, I am the one on the right who looks old enough to have raised two teenagers and has the grey hairs to prove it.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6313

Congrats Dermot, always a good man with the craic.
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

HELL YEAH!
    Member of the friggin year if you ask me!!!!!

Fairly accomplished title mate.

Hip hip hurray, to this individual who apart from is exquisite humor and intelligent remarks, he always posts with lean and to the point replies. Also impressively finds solutions to matters on Deloreans. Must be the Dunmurry blood in his veins.

May I also express my gratitude to his support on my 5992 restoration. I will proudly honor him by adding his name on my Drivers door.

THANK YOU DERMOT!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Congratulation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast