FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 3.0 / 2.8 teardown

3.0 / 2.8 teardown

I'm doing a side by side tear down of a 3.0 Premier, and the D's 2.8 and learning alot.
    If you have any requests for pictures / dimensions / etc. Let me know. Send me a PM incase I don't see this thread.

Right now I have them torn down to a long block. My primary interest were the Heads and the upper block. Heads are nearly identical save for the injector ports on the 2.8. I am curious if its possible to have an intake spacer machined that would include injector ports for the D's intake manifold.

Anyway, any requests for pictures?

My VIN:    10186

pictures would be great to see the differences and similarities between the 2.
    looking forward to having 10186 restored in the near future.

My VIN:    16619

Take pictures of everything!

Though some ideas that come to mind that might be helpful for others planning to do a swap is: Mounting Points (To Body and Transmission), Intake Manifold and Valley, possibly exhaust manifold, etc.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

We are compiling a complete 3.0 swap thread on the other site.

I don't know about yourself, but I tried to take pictures when taking everything apart on my engine, but i either forgot, or I didnt want to keep washing my hands every 5 minutes to take a picture. I supposed you offered though, I kind of figured people would say "Take pictures of everything". Easy to say from a computer chair, a little more challenging to do when wrenching on an engine.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    We are compiling a complete 3.0 swap thread on the other site.

I don't know about yourself, but I tried to take pictures when taking everything apart on my engine, but i either forgot, or I didnt want to keep washing my hands every 5 minutes to take a picture. I supposed you offered though, I kind of figured people would say "Take pictures of everything". Easy to say from a computer chair, a little more challenging to do when wrenching on an engine.
    One tip I found useful - I asked my family to dig out any old, crappy digital cameras they had shoved in drawers after they had moved on to nicer ones. I have a couple that are just for "garage" use - you'd be surprised how durable they actually are. Can handle a lot of grease and throwing around if you don't care what they look like when you're done

That avoids the hand-washing part anyway. I just keep one in my pocket at all times and take as many pictures as I can.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

That is a decent point. I did try this but my crappy cameras are very crappy! Grainy, and blurry if you do not hold them perfectly still. So, now my crappy camera is my cell phone. Wish is a tad bit of a problem. Perhaps I need to invest in a nicer crappy camera, haha.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    That is a decent point. I did try this but my crappy cameras are very crappy! Grainy, and blurry if you do not hold them perfectly still. So, now my crappy camera is my cell phone. Wish is a tad bit of a problem. Perhaps I need to invest in a nicer crappy camera, haha.
    Reach out to family and friends on this one. I bet you'll find plenty of cameras from a few years ago tucked away in drawers just searching for a new home. I did anyway.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by m_w View Post
    I'm doing a side by side tear down of a 3.0 Premier, and the D's 2.8 and learning alot.
    If you have any requests for pictures / dimensions / etc. Let me know. Send me a PM incase I don't see this thread.

Right now I have them torn down to a long block. My primary interest were the Heads and the upper block. Heads are nearly identical save for the injector ports on the 2.8. I am curious if its possible to have an intake spacer machined that would include injector ports for the D's intake manifold.

Anyway, any requests for pictures?
    To answer you spacer question. Yes it can be done as seen in the photo. Sorry I don't have a close up. Also this engine has never been run. it was built up for a "project car" that has yet to came to fruition.

P1010041.jpg

The engine is now in the hands of Rich W. (D-rex)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    To answer you spacer question. Yes it can be done as seen in the photo. Sorry I don't have a close up. Also this engine has never been run. it was built up for a "project car" that has yet to came to fruition.

P1010041.jpg

The engine is now in the hands of Rich W. (D-rex)
    Very nice engine there.

Also, I appreciate the comments and interest. And yes, as far as taking pictures of everything, I would prefer specifics, if there is some piece you are wondering about. Like Josh said, taking random pictures could turn into a project of its own. Send me a PM if there is some specific part you want to see.

I'm almost at the point of tearing the heads off. I was told that I won't be able to use the 3.0 block (upper crankcase specifically) because 'the liners do not match up with the 2.8's crankshaft.' I haven't learned enough yet to know what that means. But I'm excited for the next part of the tear-down.

Some additional notes:
    The water pump and Y pipe of the 2.8 fit onto the 3.0 block.
    The water pump Y pipe of the 3.0 is solid and does not have the ports for the various sensors of the 2.8's opened up.
    I cannot find any external differences with the upper crankcase of the 3.0.
    Bellhousing is the same.
    95% sure the flywheel is the same. Still need to verify.
    Lots of external bits are the same - engine lift points, plugs for the coolant block drain, caps at the camshafts in the heads... things like that.

Things to do yet:
    The valve train in the 3.0 is larger, but look like they can be swapped into the 2.8 heads. I plan on verifying that. The valve covers of the 2.8 would need to be ground to fit the larger valve train.
    Why can't the upper crankcase be used in a 2.8 rebuild?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The 2.8 crank fits the 3.0 block. The mains are the same. The liner seats are different. if you wanted a 3.0 block with a 2.8 bore you would need to make a liner that is a 3.0 on the outside and a 2.8 on the inside.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast