FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Idle Problem

My VIN:    3095

Club(s):   (DCF)

Idle Problem

My car started having an issue with the idle. Before the idle would go thru the high / low then after a couple minutes it would settle on 900 and sit & run like a champ. Now it wont stop the high low. I noticed that at the low it acted like it was running out of fuel. I check the fuel system - pulled the pump, checked the hoses, pulled a couple injectors - all looks good. I put it back together and did a road test. It hesitates from a stop, but after it starts moving it run strong. I even got stopped by a police officer, lucky he was a car guy & just gave me a warning. Any one have an idea what I need to be looking at next ?

My VIN:    03572

If your engine is stock, it should have a constant idle speed of 775 RPM. If you're seeing 900 RPM you have something not working. Most common is the throttle plates are not closing fully or you may have the three brass screws not screwed all the way in.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Thanx Dave- Will check that.

Everything seems to be checking out. I was looking at the micro switch & if I lift the throttle to the open point- it runs good or what sounds right to my ear. Do these go bad, or is this being controlled by the ECU & it has a problem ?

Dave- the 900 is sort of a guess - using the tack on the dash it falls btw 5 & 10 - just a shade toward 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If your engine is stock, it should have a constant idle speed of 775 RPM. If you're seeing 900 RPM you have something not working. Most common is the throttle plates are not closing fully or you may have the three brass screws not screwed all the way in.

My VIN:    03572

My tach is dead on accurate but I'm not sure if all of them are that way.
    You can press the idle switch with a tool to see if that was not being pressed enough by the throttle arm (screw).
    You can also move the throttle spool, forcing it all the way off to see if you may have a binding throttle cable.
    Do all these tests with the warm or hot engine at idle.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Dave, A friend ( who has a repair shop ) ran a few tests when I got the car & he said the gauges were off, that's what I'm going by. As you suggested I drove my car and got it warmed up. But when I got back I had it idling in the driveway and it will sat & idled fine. The tach shows a little over 1/2 way btw 5 & 10. I checked the cables & they seem ok.

Now that I have drove my car a bit, after what I thought I fixed, it runs worse that before. It now acts like it doesn't want to run. Before after I'd get moving it would get up & move. Now I give it gas it shakes and acts like it doesn't want to run at all. I reset the idle to where it was, but now it's worse. It is so bad that when I have it just sitting & running the doors shake.

My VIN:    10XXX

Are you anywhere near Tampa?
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

Hi Steve, I'm in Orlando

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast