FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Extended Convex Heated Mirrors and Black stainless shift knobs coming soon!

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

+1 for no mirror engraving, at least for me.

Tom, are the black stainless shifter balls already engraved?

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Option two sounds good. (or with the outline like the original logo?)
    Attachment 22388
    I think you could place the logo like this:
    Yeah, we'll go with the outline only.
    The logo you have attached is not the original one. This logo is what DMC of Houston owns. So, I cannot do this. According to the patent office this logo is described at "stylized logo with outline". I can only use the original DMC logo because it is legally dead and anyone can use it. Original logo is what I have posted. Two dimensional without outline.

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    +1 for no mirror engraving, at least for me.

Tom, are the black stainless shifter balls already engraved?
    No engraving is the default! You got it

The Black chrome stainless steel shift knobs were done today. They are ready! I have already updated my website. Sometimes it takes a while before the updated info shows up but you can head over to my site and click on the shift knobs. If you don't see the "Buy now" buttons just restart your browser and try again a bit later.
    I have two black knobs with DMC logo and two with shift pattern. As I have said before, I will not be making any more of these.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

The mirrors are here but not available just yet

Hello everyone!
    I've got some good news. The mirrors have arrived and just like before they are very nice. I'm happy with the results and I'm sure you will be too.
    They are not available yet as I have to do some work here. Right now I'm waiting for the special double sided tape. It is a special order item and always arrives last to make sure we get fresh glue so it is as strong as possible. As of right now I'm working on the wiring for the heated version.
    Now for even better news. I'm happy to say that I have negotiated a slightly better price and I'm passing the savings onto my customers. It's not a big difference in price but it is still lower and that is very unusual in our world where prices seem to always go up.
    There will be four options to choose from. Here is the pricing:
    Heated extended convex DeLorean mirrors - $150 with free shipping
    Extended convex DeLorean mirrors (no heating) - $145 with free shipping
    Each of the two options can come with or without a DMC outline logo on each mirror. The logo is very light, thin outline rather than a heavy filled logo. You only see it when you're are looking at it fairly close up. When driving the logo is pretty much invisible. There is no extra charge for the logo.
    The logo is laser engraved in the reflective layer. The glass is not marked. It's just a perfect thin black line. It is simply PERFECT
    Pictures are coming soon...
    There is one more thing. The wiring for the heating pads will now come with all the terminals preinstalled. That means easier installation and no special tools - no soldering iron required.
    The first batch will consist of 5 heated sets with DMC logo, 5 heated sets without engraving, 5 unheated sets with DMC logo and 5 unheated sets without engraving. That's a total of 20 sets.

I will post as soon as I have some news for you.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Hello everyone,

The double sided tape is here! This thing alone costs $50!

I just need to attach it to the mirrors and then the last step will be packaging. The only problem is that I will be going out of the country for a week.
    If everything goes well I should be ready to start shipping the mirrors on Monday, December 2nd.
    Watch this space for the final update soon...
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Tom, is any portion of these mirrors flat? Or is it all convex with a super-convex section on the outside?

Tom, is any portion of these mirrors flat? Or is it all convex with a super-convex section on the outside?
    No, there is no flat section. This is just like you said, a convex mirror where the outside edge is "super-convex" - I like that description. Both left and right mirrors are the same. This approach let us almost completely eliminate the blind spot and improve the rear visibility by about 50%.
    You can see some pictures on my website. The link is in my signature below.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

Thanks for the quick reply. I want to order some of these but I'm worried about the amount of distortion caused by an all-convex mirror. How does the "normal-convex" section compare to flat glass?

I'm worried about the amount of distortion caused by an all-convex mirror. How does the "normal-convex" section compare to flat glass?
    There's really no need to worry about an all-convex mirror. All cars in Europe come with convex mirrors from the factory and they don't even have the disclaimer that's on convex mirrors made for the US market. You know, the one that says "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".
    Go to my website and click on the "Mirrors" link to see a picture showing the difference between OEM DeLorean mirrors are my new extended convex mirrors. You know, a picture is worth a thousand words.
    What you see in the mirror is not distorted. It is slightly smaller. So, if a car takes up 50% of your flat mirror it will take up 40% of a convex mirror. It appears smaller and thanks to that you can see more of the world behind you. BUT, you still see the car, it still looks the same and it is not distorted. That is why they put that disclaimer of the convex mirrors in the US. Because everything appears slightly smaller it might give an impression that it is further behind you. But the difference is not that big... If you want to change a lane and see a car in your mirror you'll know when it's too close to you regardless if it's a flat or convex mirror. I believe that the disclaimer was put on the mirrors as a way to stop frivolous law suits from people pretending to be dumber than they really are.
    The extended convex section is different. This part of the mirror does distort the picture. As it has a more aggressive bend in only one plain it actually cases everything to appear slim and tall. A car travelling in your blind spot will be absolutely invisible in a flat mirror but you will see it in the extended convex mirror. It might appear strange and very short but you will see that there is a car next to you.
    Think about it this way, you don't use the mirrors the read a newspaper that's hanging behind your car. You use the mirrors to see if the road behind you and next to you is clear. Even if the world is a little distorted you can still tell if it's safe to change a lane. It doesn't have to be perfect as the road ahead of you.

May we get some guys that have my mirrors install to chime in on this subject? Please...
    I have sold almost 300 sets and everyone was extremely happy with the mirrors. I did not have a single complaint and I've been selling these mirrors for over 8 years now.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom

My VIN:    16867

Extended Convex Mirrors

I have had Tom's mirrors on my car for a number of years now. I wouldn't be with anything else. Now,mind you, it will take a few driving trips to adapt to them, but it is not difficult. The only thing difficult would be to not have them any more. Blind spots are literally non-existent!

Dick Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Rad Dad View Post
    I have had Tom's mirrors on my car for a number of years now. I wouldn't be with anything else. Now,mind you, it will take a few driving trips to adapt to them, but it is not difficult. The only thing difficult would be to not have them any more. Blind spots are literally non-existent!

Dick Ryan
    How is this for night driving? I have an eye condition that makes me quite sensitive to bright lights at night. Sometimes I'm quite thankful when a car pulls into my blind spot because it means their headlights are no longer beaming at me through the side mirrors. Have you noticed this at night with the convex mirrors?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast