FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 82 Trans Am (KITT)

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

82 Trans Am (KITT)

I didn't want to hijack Chris' thread so I started this one...

I posted pics of this particular car before, but just today, a friend of mine bought it from the previous owner. He was like a kid at Christmas! He's been a Knight Rider fan since he was 5 years old, and has been looking for a KITT ever since.

It's just converted on the exterior only, but he intends to reupholster the interior, install the dash, electronics, seats etc. in the future.
    As-is it's probably not 100% accurate but it's a start!

I said I'd help out with some research in the meantime, so I'm trying to hunt down Trans Am manuals - does anyone know if you can get PDF versions of workshop manuals, parts manuals and so on, like we can with our cars? Or would he have to fork out for printed copies?
    I know nothing about Trans Ams so if anyone can chip in with information I'd appreciate it!

(Chris, if you have any info on good vendors for conversion parts, interior trim parts, etc. that would be a great help as well!)

Thanks,
    Martin

- Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    16893

I love it! Do you mind if I ask what he have for it? One of my non-D cars is an 83 Trans Am that is black and gold. For the manuals I just bought a Chiltons. I'm not sure if you can get them online as PDFs or not. I have owned several Trans Ams and know a lot about them so feel free to ask me anything. One of the best place to get parts is Hawks Third Gen. They have some repro parts, and a whole salvage yard full of third gen Trans Ams.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have an 80 SE and got a service manual HERE. They have one for both of its brothers for ~$50, or just about anything, including a D.
    Last edited by Ron; 10-05-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    I love it! Do you mind if I ask what he have for it? One of my non-D cars is an 83 Trans Am that is black and gold. For the manuals I just bought a Chiltons. I'm not sure if you can get them online as PDFs or not. I have owned several Trans Ams and know a lot about them so feel free to ask me anything. One of the best place to get parts is Hawks Third Gen. They have some repro parts, and a whole salvage yard full of third gen Trans Ams.
    Whoa, some good leads there, thanks!

He paid 7500 Euro which converts to a little over 10,100 USD, not sure if that's a good price or not?
    I had a quick look at Hawks - great site! They have quite a bit of stuff there.
    Last edited by MML; 10-05-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I have an 80 SE and got a service manual HERE. They have one for both of its brothers for ~$50, or just about anything, including a D.
    Thanks Ron - bookmarked!
    Sadly the car didn't have any manuals at all with it, so an original one will be a nice bonus.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    5311

That's a season 4 nose.
    - Chris

what

My VIN:    6679

First cruise of my local 2013/2014 season last night and at the first stop I was parked next to my other childhood fantasy

Last edited by Tillsy; 10-05-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Chris

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Nice Trans-Am

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Out of curiosity what are the general cost difference between a nice stock D and a nice trans-am and then between a BTTF and a KITT.

Say that a nice D is $20k and a BTTF replica is $65k(?)

Nice stock TA?
    KITT (full replica)
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5311

I can't speak to a BTTF replica since I don't really know what those cost, but I can tell you that you can get a super nice 3rd gen Trans-Am for around $4k, and assuming you do the work yourself, a KR replica will run between 5 and 8 thousand on top of that, depending on the work that needs to be done. $2k to $3k more if the car isn't already black.
    - Chris

what

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast