FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: 4x6 Halo Headlights, where to find?

My VIN:    5628

Cheapest so far 289

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JW-Speaker-4...f1fdb8&vxp=mtr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcio View Post
    In my installation where I have replaced a H4 bulb with a D2S (along with projector optics)
    Hi Tom, it's the above comment in which I have most interest. Having some time ago read Daniel Stern Lighting I understand the need for proper optics when fitting an HID bulb - that it is not simply as easy as dropping a bulb into one of our H4 housings. How do you apply this to the DeLorean?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Hi Tom, it's the above comment in which I have most interest. Having some time ago read Daniel Stern Lighting I understand the need for proper optics when fitting an HID bulb - that it is not simply as easy as dropping a bulb into one of our H4 housings. How do you apply this to the DeLorean?
    Hi Martin!
    It's been a long time since we last talked. Good to hear from you again.
    To answer your question, yes, it's not as easy as dropping a D2S into a H4 housing. You get lots of light in exactly the places you don't want it. I tried it and it simply didn't work. I wanted my conversion to be street legal and nice to the other drivers. What I did was I got an entire headlight assembly from a BMW 7 on an auction site. The light came off of an accident car and I've paid $15 for it. It was cracked and couldn't be used on a car but the optics inside, the D2S burner and a very nice Hella ballast were perfect. I cut the headlight open and removed the entire optical system. This is comprised of the reflector with a base for the D2S, a shutter that controls the beam shape and allows switching between hi and low beams, and a lens. Then I opened up my motorcycle headlight and mounted this entire assembly inside making sure it is straight and true. For the adjustments I reused the original posts in the Honda headlight. In case of the DeLorean it will be easier as the entire headlight is moved when adjusted. It was a little more difficult for the motorcycle where only the reflector was moving. Anyway, here are the results:
    1. Off, 2. Parking lights on, 3. Low beam on.
    1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg
    As it came off of a BMW it had the "angel eye" ring on it so I kept it. I installed a 3W cool white LED to light it up. As it was a bi-xenon light I had low and high beam that was connected to the original switch. This setup was street legal and passed annual tests with flying colors.
    I didn't convert my D lights yet but I will. Just keep in mind that the outside lens needs to be polished clear. You will need to disassemble the headlight and install the reflector-shutter-lens setup inside making sure you get it absolutely straight and true. If you turn it by just 1 degree the light will probably fail inspection. You need to make it perfect.
    You will need to find an optical assembly that is as short as possible to make sure it fits inside out headlights. The BMW one might be too long. You'll have to take some measurements to make sure they fit.
    Here's an example setup I got from an Audi. It's made by Hella.
    hella.jpg
    The entire assembly is 15.5cm long, the lens has a diameter of 8cm. You can see the shutter in the picture. This is again a bi-xenon light. For a regular low beam only light the shutter is fixed. For bi-xenon the shutter is connected to an electromagnet that moves it down for high beam. You will need to fabricate some kind of cover to make it all look nice from the front. For the Honda light I used the BMW "angel eyes" ring with it's base and a small stainless bowl with it's bottom cut out.
    I would love to use LEDs with with a lens but because of the amount of heat they create and their sensitivity to high temperatures it will be difficult. The ones sold by JW Speaker have a light output of only 850 lumens compared to 1000 low beam/1650 high beam lumens for H4 and 3200 lumens for D2S xenon. So, I will probably go with xenon until LEDs improve in efficiency. Right now if I wanted to get the same brightness as D2S I would probably have to use liquid cooling and a large radiator. Makes no sense... plus, xenon will use less power.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

My VIN:    05141

Here are the pics from the plactic lens version.
    I only have the high beam in this version.

Jan
    Attached Images

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by aenglish87 View Post
    I am having just the opposite problem. Unless I am confused the only ones I see available (see the amazon link in my post 2 above this one) are the regular/low-beam ones. I don't see a high beam option. Did you just replace the bulb with a high beam bulb or did you find/buy a specific high-beam halo? If so where did you find/buy.

Does the halo stay on at all times or does the halo come on when you have the lights in the initial 'parking mode'? What do they look like when you have the lights on at night? Can you still see the halo ring or does it look like a regular light at night with the lights fully on?
    Anyone have answers for this for me?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5