Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Favorite Mods List Thread

  1. #1
    Member aenglish87's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2013

    Posts:    42

    Favorite Mods List Thread

    As a long-time DeLorean fan and relatively new D owner I have addressed any mechanical maintenance and repair issues and have her running great and take her out and enjoy her consistently once or twice a week and now I am turning my attention to trying to determining a list of mods and upgrades I want to do (aesthetics, functionality, performance, etc) and prioritizing them for time and budget.

    Some are purists who believe it is sacrilegious to do anything at all to a sock D (an opinion I fully respect) and there are those who feel DeLorean ownership is about "doing it in style" your way whatever level of customization that may mean to you (also respected). I fall somewhere in the middle... I am aiming for some balance of some modern touches and aesthetics while maintaining the stock aspects of the car that many of us would say make it so "timeless".

    To that end, I am starting this thread to get feedback and opinion from everyone on what mods you have done or would like to do that you think are the best out there. Best exterior aesthetic mods?... Best interior mods?... Best performance mods?... Best functionality and preventitve mods?... What mods offer the best bang for the buck in D ownership experience?

    My current personal list of potential upgrade/mods interest include:
    -aftermarket wheels in a tasteful larger stagger set-up (17/18 or 18/19) in a multi-spoke wheel in the same "family" look as the stock wheels.
    -lowering springs (already done on mine)
    -DMC body skirt kit (love the way it looks and would love any feedback from anyone who has installed one)
    -I saw some cool halo 4x6 direct headlight bulb replacements on the forum today
    -Remote Auto opening doors
    -exhaust upgrade

    So...
    What mods and upgrades have you done that you love and would recommend?
    What have you done/tried and hated or felt was a waste of money?
    What mods are on your "wish list" for your D?

  2. #2
    Cock Monger thirdmanj's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    2,566

    Oh man. I thought this was gonna be a discussion about who our favorite forum moderators were and why!
    1-800-273-8255

  3. #3
    Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar
    Join Date:  Aug 2012

    Location:  Duncanville, Alabama USA

    Posts:    807

    My VIN:    6599

    Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Oh man. I thought this was gonna be a discussion about who our favorite forum moderators were and why!
    That thread subject is just waiting for you too start it...

    George
    George.



    1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Birmingham al

    Posts:    118

    mods

    Body skirt kit-- the side pieces look great, the back piece is nice but the piece for the front is a wasted of time, i kept dragging it off , so i removed it. Yes I like the kit. The very best mod on my car was stage 2 upgrade, the added power and new sound is outstanding. I have well over a dozen upgrade on my car and love them all. The wings-a -loft system is great in fact I have not put an upgrade on that I do not like. Heck after counting i can remember over 2 dozen upgrades and i am sure there are some I do not remember. My car is a really nice car and runs great every time, but i have put a great deal of money into it and do not regret one dime of it, heck I am sure there is more money going into it . I am just waiting for someone to come up with more modern looking tail lights and head lights system.
    Andy B 03513

  5. #5
    Vin3299's Doc DeLorean03's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dayton, OH

    Posts:    1,586

    My VIN:    3299

    Footwell lighting to where they turn on when you open the doors. That to me is one of those things that brings the car to modern standards.

    970452_10151622427338710_107502233_n.jpg


    SS grilles in the lower engine cover look pretty sharp too. Center brace for the louvres with the DMC logo that catches the stay of the lower engine cover.

    59352_10151720531988710_403215209_n.jpg

    Anything WingsALoft - especially remote lock/unlock and remote trunk unlock - those really bring the car to "today's standards".
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 10-15-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

    Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

    Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

    Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

  6. #6
    Senior Member Silverbullet's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2012

    Location:  Brea, CA

    Posts:    559

    My VIN:    3757

    Ok ... Mine... Auto Doors Wings aloft... and Stainless Steel Hedders Exhaust.. by far the best...

    Craig

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2013

    Location:  Woodstock, GA

    Posts:    276

    My VIN:    16893

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Center brace for the louvres with the DMC logo that catches the latch of the lower engine cover.
    My car has this, and so far I was the only one I knew who had it (it was on the car when I got it). It looks like latching the lower engine cover like that caused my lower engine cover to break pretty significantly. So I wouldn't recommend latching it like that.

  8. #8
    Vin3299's Doc DeLorean03's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dayton, OH

    Posts:    1,586

    My VIN:    3299

    Quote Originally Posted by RammJaeger View Post
    My car has this, and so far I was the only one I knew who had it (it was on the car when I got it). It looks like latching the lower engine cover like that caused my lower engine cover to break pretty significantly. So I wouldn't recommend latching it like that.
    If you install the SS grilles (which weigh collectively a good 3-5 pounds), you nearly have to do it that way. The strain that the original engine cover triangular stay puts on the engine cover is crazy - it looks like someone is bending the lower engine cover in half like a twig over their knee.

    For fun, I searched on this, and here Dave Swingle says:

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Make sure that the brackets on the sunshade are not backwards (i.e. reversed left to right).

    We install quite a few of these braces and once in a while have to make the slot for the hook slightly larger. Most of the time they work fine with the normal struts.

    There is quite a bit of variation from car to car, and you can also adjust the louver hook on the engine cover to fit the slot better (if your louver latch isn't working anyway and it doesn't bother you.
    Came from this thread:

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?64...ll=1#post93977
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 10-15-2013 at 11:41 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

    Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

    Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

    Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

  9. #9
    Member aenglish87's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2013

    Posts:    42

    Quote Originally Posted by andy blackmon View Post
    Body skirt kit-- the side pieces look great, the back piece is nice but the piece for the front is a wasted of time, i kept dragging it off , so i removed it. Yes I like the kit. The very best mod on my car was stage 2 upgrade, the added power and new sound is outstanding. I have well over a dozen upgrade on my car and love them all. The wings-a -loft system is great in fact I have not put an upgrade on that I do not like. Heck after counting i can remember over 2 dozen upgrades and i am sure there are some I do not remember. My car is a really nice car and runs great every time, but i have put a great deal of money into it and do not regret one dime of it, heck I am sure there is more money going into it . I am just waiting for someone to come up with more modern looking tail lights and head lights system.
    Andy B 03513
    Thanks for the Body skirt kit feedback Andy. If you don't mind, I would LOVE to see the list of the couple dozen upgrades you have done. I am trying to gather ideas for my own mod wish list and your "menu" would be a great help if you don't mind posting them on here. Of course any quick notes or comments you may have on any/all of them (like your note on the body skirt kit) would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks Andy!

    Edit: Andy, in addition to begging you to list out your complete list of mods, do you have any pics posted anywhere that I could check out your D and all the mods? Or could you post some along with your list? Sorry for all the requests. I appreciate it.
    Last edited by aenglish87; 10-16-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  10. #10
    Member aenglish87's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2013

    Posts:    42

    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Footwell lighting to where they turn on when you open the doors. That to me is one of those things that brings the car to modern standards.

    970452_10151622427338710_107502233_n.jpg


    SS grilles in the lower engine cover look pretty sharp too. Center brace for the louvres with the DMC logo that catches the stay of the lower engine cover.

    59352_10151720531988710_403215209_n.jpg

    Anything WingsALoft - especially remote lock/unlock and remote trunk unlock - those really bring the car to "today's standards".
    Thanks for the feedback and the pics! I love the footwell lighting and the SS grilles! I didn't know about either one. Is your footwell lighting a "homemade" mod or is there some kit that can be purchased? Are the SS grilles a DMC part? Any other ideas for me? Do you have a list of all the mods you have done?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •