FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Which modern engine would Mr. John DeLorean use?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

A variation of the Toyota 2GR-FE that Lotus uses would be appropriate - 276HP NA and 345HP supercharged.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    A variation of the Toyota 2GR-FE that Lotus uses would be appropriate - 276HP NA and 345HP supercharged.
    As much as engineering may dictate a particular engine, other real world factors come into play. It needs to be certified or easily certifiable in the US, the company selling it needs to have enough surplus production to fulfill the need, and they must be willing to sell to a competitor, preferably with good pricing and terms. At the time the only viable option was the PRV and it came with a transmission that needed only minor modification to fit! DMC realized early on the problems with the PRV and was already exploring other alternatives. Perhaps, if things went differently, they might have eventually bought motors from Lotus. Still leaves the transmission problem which Lotus also had. Maybe between the two of them they would have either bought or had made their own. There was a very close relationship between the two companies and they both had similar problems. As a footnote, Lotus no longer makes their own motors, they buy and then extensively modify Toyota motors. Since the Delorean is an overgrown Lotus (at least underneath) it is not too far-fetched to think they may have followed Lotus's growth path.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Yeah, that would be a good one Although the way HP numbers on sports cars are growing these days, I think if the DeLorean were still in production, it would likely have a V8 option by now (if there were engine options). Maybe the Lotus 918 V8 turbo from the later model Esprit, sticking with the Lotus theme.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    10155

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    It bolts to the DeLorean transmission? Are you sure about that? I would be VERY surprised to find out that was true. Bike engines are car engines are very different beasts. One is meant to move a 400lb vehicle, the other a 3000lb vehicle. I guess I don't know exactly what you're looking for in a car, but I think you would be rather dissapointed after the time and money spent on that swap only to gain 50 HP but lose 50 ft.lb of torque.
    Reading the web, it appears that this engine was designed to work on project cars. I am not sure how well it would preform in a DeLorean but it should handle better. I do not know how easy a swap would be. I just want my car the rev up when the happy pedal is pushed. Thanks for all the comments so far. One of the things I like about the DeLorean is that it does not come equipped with a free penis extension. The Miata originally had a 1.6 liter engine and it has been a success story.

Quote Originally Posted by anywhen View Post
    Reading the web, it appears that this engine was designed to work on project cars. I am not sure how well it would preform in a DeLorean but it should handle better.
    Hmm, well that would be interesting. I suppose it could work on very small cars that were very light. Or maybe if you were going for fuel economy over performance. Although in my experience, bikes are not nearly as fuel efficient for their size/weight as cars. It definitely would not be on my list of choices for an engine swap. Especially for that price!
    - Devon

My VIN:    10155

How much would a new fuel injection system cost? Just seeing that sweet looking v-4 in the engine bay is worth $10,000. I have driven my D from Georgia to Gettysburg and back, Georgia to Lexington and back then in 2012 went from Georgia to Key West via Orlando and back. My car ran fine but just the thought of all the 30 year old fuel system parts that can go bad does not give me piece of mind. I could spend money on my engine but its no good without a better fuel injection system. I want to do a coast to coast to coast trip one day.

My VIN:    1710

Are we talking about an engine swap on an existing 30 year old DeLorean, or is this thread hypothesizing what engine DeLorean Motor Company might source today if it were around?

Seeing how the company was founded to be an "ethical" one, where virtues like fuel efficiency, safety, and light weight were paramount, it's safe to say v8s wouldn't be what JZD would be interested in. More likely, something like boosted smaller displacement engines would be his thing, or perhaps even a performance hybrid. JZD was always trying to think ahead of the curve as far as technology goes, so V8s would be 'oh so yesterday' for him in 2013, I'd think.

I think an engine that might be a modern day equivalent to the PRV would be the Peugeot/Citroen 4 cylinder that BMW sources for the current-generation Mini. Interestingly enough, this engine is produced in the same Douvrin factory that the PRV was. The engine is emissions certified on all continents, used in a half dozen different marques, and Peugeot/Citroen is about to have a large excess manufacturing capacity on their hands: third generation Minis are sourcing entirely new powerplants. These engines also offer big MPGs, and in boosted form, they pull REALLY hard (if you've ever driven a Cooper S, they are an absolute riot). Much like the PRV, they have a reputation for being a bit particular/fussy, too.
    Last edited by louielouie2000; 10-17-2013 at 04:00 PM.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Chevy Volt or Fisker engine/motor type. Torque galore!. BTW ... watch NOVA "Making Stuff: Faster". Specifically the part on the electric Datsun sleeper that uses LiMn batteries. On the drag it will outrun the $1.2M Bugatti Veyron.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    Chevy Volt or Fisker engine/motor type. Torque galore!. BTW ... watch NOVA "Making Stuff: Faster". Specifically the part on the electric Datsun sleeper that uses LiMn batteries. On the drag it will outrun the $1.2M Bugatti Veyron.
    I hope you don't mean THIS ONE. At the end it ran mid 11's. I'm pretty sure a Veyron can beat that.
    - Devon

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    I hope you don't mean THIS ONE. At the end it ran mid 11's. I'm pretty sure a Veyron can beat that.
    That was four years ago. He since has replaced the LiIon batteries with LiMn batteries (military issue). I'd have to rewatch the Nova show to see what times he is running now. But "yes", they did claim it would outrun the Veyron.

Regardless...it would make for an interesting DeLorean
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast