FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Door/Roof Alignment

Door/Roof Alignment

Hi,

The pass side door "pops" up a bit from the roofline, also when opening the door I hear a little pop/crack.

Any suggestions on how to align the door so it's on the same level as the roof line?

Here's a pic of it:

Thanks.

My VIN:    4870

I have to same exact problem on both doors. Mine rub on the T-panel a bit when opening the doors and there is a pretty big gap between the top of the windshield and the door. I did bolt the roof cage down (there was a large gap) and did not help. I will be watching this thread closely
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    I have to same exact problem on both doors. Mine rub on the T-panel a bit when opening the doors and there is a pretty big gap between the top of the windshield and the door. I did bolt the roof cage down (there was a large gap) and did not help. I will be watching this thread closely
    Remove the Tee panel. Replace the foam underneath so that it is held up. When you reinstall the Tee roof make sure you center it so the gap at the top of each door is equal. It may still rub.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

David, I don't think the T Panel is the issue here, judging by the pictures.

Your doors seem slightly bend, it occurs on some cars. The door alignment is a major issue as a result, and your doors are pushed upwards. This is why they do not line up with the header panel. You could attempt to adjust the doors by adjusting the hinge mounting and striker pin alignment, but his is a big job and may not yield a positive result.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Here is another pic. You guys really think the door is bent?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Rear of doors are at correct height? Looks like it.

Fronts of doors meet top of fender and fender beltline/rubstrip at correct height? Looks like it.

Front of both doors do not line up well with the windshield header? Last photo seems to show this, although the left one is a bit better aligned.

So 3 more questions:
    1. When did this windshield-header-to-top-of-door problem crop up?
    2. Do the doors line up with the latch strike pins? Doors latch and unlatch correctly?
    3. Was the windshield ever (incorrectly) replaced?

A little weird that both doors would do this which suggests it's not the doors....see #3
    Last edited by Rich; 10-17-2013 at 11:33 PM.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I could very well be wrong, so take that into consideration.

Rich, what is the difference between a proper and improper windshield installation? The adhesive around my windshield has failed (not holding window on anymore) and my passenger door is being quite a pain to line up.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

The doors and the hinges have a few millimeters of play.
    Try to loosen all 4 bolts (remove strut and bar prior to that) and see if there is any room of improvement there.
    My bet is there is and you may gain some better results like that!

Door Post Studs

Remove both door studs and hold the door closed manually to determine that studs have not moved. If ok, would remove torsion bar and align the hinge, again with door studs removed. Byrne

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne H&A View Post
    Remove both door studs and hold the door closed manually to determine that studs have not moved. If ok, would remove torsion bar and align the hinge, again with door studs removed. Byrne
    Unless someone already messed with the door adjustments (and that would be pretty obvious) DO NOT touch them! Try what I suggested first before ruining the door adjustments. It would be strange for both doors to be bent the same way. My suggestion is a whole lot easier to do too. Very common for the foam under the Tee roof to disintegrate and that is what holds up the front end.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast