FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Vin 6298

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Vin 6298

Vin 6298 has been in storage for about 5 years. I did not intend to put it into long term storage and did not take any precautions other than keeping it safe from the elements. I have a really small single apartment garage but I at least have a power receptacle and light fixture both located in the ceiling.

I had every intention on draining the fuel tank today. Unfortunately, the automatic garage door pulley bolt snapped off as I was opening the door. This leaves the garage unsecured. I spent the day preparing the move to another garage. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. My 12V tire pump wouldn't reach the front tires, had to drive around looking for a 12V extension cord, and I blew a fuse in the car that was powering the tire pump. The tires were 5-7 PSI and it took a LONG time to fill them. That's now all behind me.

Before 1st Crank Checklist

I have a great pre-crank checklist thanks to a lot of great threads already on this board including specific advice from NightFlyer, rdarlington, Rich, WelmoedJ, DMCMW Dave, and David T. (See http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?84...t-up-checklist)

1. Drain and clean fuel tank.
    2. Assess state of the Fuel Pump and Fuel Sender to determine if replacement is necessary.
    3. Change fuel filter.
    4. Change fuel accumulator
    5. Flush fuel system
    6. Clean connections to WUR and injectors
    7. Remove the air box and GENTLY press the metering flap - check for resistance. If so, take off the fuel distributor and unstick the plunger.
    8. Drain motor oil and change filter.
    9. Replace the battery.
    10. Add a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil down the plug holes.

After first crank - before a test drive:

1. Flush and change coolant.
    2. Assess brake system
    3. Tires

Banned

My VIN:    1798

If the coolant looks OK (ie - no visible chunks floating in the header bottle after running the engine for a bit), I'd personally drive it around for at least 50 miles on the old coolant. Let the old coolant do a pre-flush of the system before your actual flush and change. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will differ.

Best of luck with the re-awakening!

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    If the coolant looks OK (ie - no visible chunks floating in the header bottle after running the engine for a bit), I'd personally drive it around for at least 50 miles on the old coolant. Let the old coolant do a pre-flush of the system before your actual flush and change. Just my opinion. I'm sure others will differ.

Best of luck with the re-awakening!
    Thanks for the tip and wishes. Hopefully I can get this car pushed the LONG way to it's new garage tomorrow. I couldn't get any help today. Wish my tires luck! I hope none of them crap out mid-push.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Yay!~
    Another D awakens from the deep sleep.
    I don't think you will have too much trouble on getting her started up. 5 years is not all that long. Limit I' d say. But a good thing you are cautious about the first fire up.

Are you planning to do any restoration? Or just a full overall service on expendables?
    oh...and WE ALL LOVE PICS!!!
    What it looks like now after 5 years of sitting. OR what it looked like before you inflated those tires, all dusty and forgotten.

Give us the show!

I can only find one picture back from December 2002 when I originally took possession of my DeLorean. I will take some pictures today before I start my work.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Awesome
    Sorry to hear you have to work on Sundays..
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)