FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The 5992 Hybrid Stock/ BTTF Replica

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

The 5992 Hybrid Stock/ BTTF Replica

I have mentioned it several times but never opened a thread about it.
    To be honest and never was a great fan of the movie. I liked it, don't get me wrong. But what that movie left me wishing back in 1985, was to buy a skateboard instead of to own a time machine.

I love the De Lorean's stock look. The BTTF replica is a gig. And I may be too embarrassed at the end of the day to drive that around looking like an outdated spaceship or geekish star trek fan.

So this for me is more of a fun thing to make rather than to own. That is why I wish to make it hybrid. Create a 20 minute mount on and off conversion set. I have several ideas already designed in my mind.
    If I turn out to flop the whole idea, I'll just sell the props separately. No harm done

Nough talk.

Here is what I have created so far:

TFD switch: Made the handle fit the drum switch, created a custom plexiglass curved cover as well as a laser printed label sticker.

Mr. Fusion: Bought the Krupps grinder in yellow from Germany, painted it white, removed and sold its guts. Then created my own Mr. Fusion stickers.

The rowan contractors: Bough a 70 Amps set, polished it up painted the heads red.

The Flux capacitor: With a little help tarraa

Plutonium Gauges: Bough regular Amp and Vol gauges... changed the labels

In the mean time I have all the overhead switches ready and I am picking up the bases for it. Also custom made the TFD switch base.
    Also have ready the led flux bands.

And of course the JVC VHS cam

More coming soon...
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Yup! Call it what you want.

You have the BTTF Bug.

Just a thought
    ED

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Nice work.

I really want to get into prop replica building - not just BTTF. I just wish I could make time for it.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I just wish I could make time for it.
    Wait for it... Wait for it...
    Here comes the line.....

"Make time? DUDE YOU OWN A DELOREAN!!!!"
    hahaahahaha
    Couldn't resist it.

But yes, it takes a lot of time researching, searching for components and finally building. But it can paying off as well.
    Unfortunately, the past couple of years I have a lot of time in my hands and needed a mind therapeutic activity.
    I made excess props which I sold on ebay and made a few bucks on the side to spend on my restoration. But no, can't make a living out of it. Not a decent anyway.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Wait for it... Wait for it...
    Here comes the line.....

"Make time? DUDE YOU OWN A DELOREAN!!!!"
    hahaahahaha
    Couldn't resist it.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Picked up my stainless steel pars from the laser cutter today.

I find I so cool to send out an item to a metal cutting company with the title "Plutonium gauges" and not have the FBI stand in front of your door asking questions...

Then Again I may have a satellite fixated over my house... Next thing you hear is the Greeks are building weapons of mass destruction!
    Oh I forgot... The US government is closed for business...

On to adding the buttons.... Took me 2 hours just to get them in place! Don't want to imagine what the wiring will take!

done...ehhmm.. Ok missing one switch

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I love this project...a non invasive BTTF conversion! I have been wanting to do this for years, a removable conversion that puts cannon and screen correct on the back burner in lieu of a quick and reversible replica. LOVE IT!

I will be following this one.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Right on Michael!
    Respect to the stainless body!

I have actually not updated in this thread a while now and i have been busy. Like I said, Not really a crazy BTTF fan... Just a crazy DIY hobbyist who may take it a step too far. For example... I made couple more than I could use this weekend...

But I have improved my all first release. In that I have added a voltage regulator on the positive of the gauges to make it functional with the 12V car voltage

Then created high quality aluminum adhesive labels that look very high quality when laser printed. Plus, it wont go bad if water drops on it, say if you were to leave your doors open at a show a a few rain drops appear. :doh:

And all lit up of course

In the mean time I already created at a metal laser cutting facility, the rear bulk head relay banks.

Selling a couple of those on ebay at high prices to raise my Delorean Restoration funds

My VIN:    Time Will Tell...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Awesome stuff, looks great. What's your plan for the rear deck? Are you going to design something that fits on top of the louvres or will you be removing them for your temporary conversions?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast