FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The 5992 Hybrid Stock/ BTTF Replica

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Looking good

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Awesome stuff, looks great. What's your plan for the rear deck? Are you going to design something that fits on top of the louvres or will you be removing them for your temporary conversions?
    Yes I will be designing something that will be replacing them by removing the louver and engine cover. Hell it's just 8 screws

Made a couple more yesterday to increase my resto funding

Merci Domi
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    I have mentioned it several times but never opened a thread about it.
    To be honest and never was a great fan of the movie. I liked it, don't get me wrong. But what that movie left me wishing back in 1985, was to buy a skateboard instead of to own a time machine.

I love the De Lorean's stock look. The BTTF replica is a gig. And I may be too embarrassed at the end of the day to drive that around looking like an outdated spaceship or geekish star trek fan.

So this for me is more of a fun thing to make rather than to own. That is why I wish to make it hybrid. Create a 20 minute mount on and off conversion set. I have several ideas already designed in my mind.
    If I turn out to flop the whole idea, I'll just sell the props separately. No harm done

Nough talk.

Here is what I have created so far:

TFD switch: Made the handle fit the drum switch, created a custom plexiglass curved cover as well as a laser printed label sticker.

Mr. Fusion: Bought the Krupps grinder in yellow from Germany, painted it white, removed and sold its guts. Then created my own Mr. Fusion stickers.

The rowan contractors: Bough a 70 Amps set, polished it up painted the heads red.

The Flux capacitor: With a little help tarraa

Plutonium Gauges: Bough regular Amp and Vol gauges... changed the labels

In the mean time I have all the overhead switches ready and I am picking up the bases for it. Also custom made the TFD switch base.
    Also have ready the led flux bands.

And of course the JVC VHS cam

More coming soon...
    Nicely done. Where'd you get the graphics for the gauges if you don't mind me asking? Or did you do your own?

Might have to make a set now - your's are excellently done, but a bit spendy for me.

My VIN:    5462

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Yes I will be designing something that will be replacing them by removing the louver and engine cover. Hell it's just 8 screws

Made a couple more yesterday to increase my resto funding

Merci Domi
    Alexakos,

Where r u selling your parts? Can I find them on the eBay? Do you ship to the uk?

Ta

James

No, still need my parts! Hahahaha!
    But the props yes
    Drop me a pm for a good deal. I overcharge on eBay to strangers
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Today I finished the overheads and added a strobe controller for a visual effect.
    First I had to exchange the 220V leds off the rocker switches with 12V ones

Taraaaa

Then wired up the push buttons

Added the labels. (THANK YOU GARY FOR YOUR very detailed FB page)

On the left the strobe controller with three presets

light effects vid

Merry Christmas...

Just leave me out of it..

Holy time machine disco (and I mean that as a compliment).

However, from experience I'll tell you that will get really old really quick. Remember that long bank of lights is going to be right beside you head and just above eye level. Even when they are all on it's nearly impossible to drive at night. In my conversion I wired the lighting banks so you can have different ones active as the needs arise. My large bank is wired to do a multi light sequence, be all on, or all off depending on what I want to do with it. It also had a pot to speed up or slow down the lighting patterns and I settled around 1-1.5 seconds per bulb. Anything much faster than that would give you a headache.

The other two are blocked by the large one when driving, so they are ok, but the flashing may still be a bit of a distraction.

-Gary

Oh and just caught the shout out on the label graphics. I thought those looked familiar. Glad to be of help. That's what they are there for

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Weaver II View Post
    Holy time machine disco (and I mean that as a compliment).

However, from experience I'll tell you that will get really old really quick. Remember that long bank of lights is going to be right beside you head and just above eye level. Even when they are all on it's nearly impossible to drive at night. In my conversion I wired the lighting banks so you can have different ones active as the needs arise. My large bank is wired to do a multi light sequence, be all on, or all off depending on what I want to do with it. It also had a pot to speed up or slow down the lighting patterns and I settled around 1-1.5 seconds per bulb. Anything much faster than that would give you a headache.

The other two are blocked by the large one when driving, so they are ok, but the flashing may still be a bit of a distraction.

-Gary

Oh and just caught the shout out on the label graphics. I thought those looked familiar. Glad to be of help. That's what they are there for

Gary you are the TYRANNOSAURUS REX of BTTF building. Only difference with the original is you're still king and... not extinct :P . Where I would place my self within the category of one cell amoeba in BTTF building! hehhehe

I really appreciate your input. Yes I have thought of that as I have an override switch ready for constant on and off. I doubted I could drive safely with ANY light on of the conversion.
    Like I mentioned above, I am looking to create an on / off conversion set cause I appreciate the stock Delo look as I also want to bring the excitement of the real life replica in my country. Mine is the ONLY delorean ever been here, not to mention the movie replica.

So at the process of discovering / building those I am making a couple copies of each mainly cause I want to financially support my heavy 5992 restoration.
    And I don't want to be stepping on either your or Bruce's toes. Don't give a rat for that videowhatshisname.

I will be contacting you in the near future if you don't mind for some of the mold casting parts. That is something I am not looking into making. Looked the option of letting those 3D printed but the amount is yet too high,

thank you!

My VIN:    07000

I have something of an interesting idea (if this has been done then I'll go back to the back of the room).
    Why not hook the lights up to the door switches (in place of the cabin lights)? When open and showing off the car, the lights are on, and so forth?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast