FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Clobbered by the door

My VIN:    4534

Clobbered by the door

Have you ever had anyone or yourself just decimated by one of the gullwing doors? A friend of my brother's from out of town is visiting. He sat in the car and then went to get out. Being 6'2 he misjudged and hit his head on the door harder than I have ever seen anyone before. He's lucky the door bounced up a bit because if it had not I'm pretty sure he would have given himself a concussion. He said his leg got twisted and he thinks he hopped a little to try to get out easier. He's ok but my sides hurt from laughing. I've hit my head on the edges by walking into them but I've never hit my head on the way out of the car.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

It's padded for that reason
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

I haven't hit the door.. but I have been hit by the hood in the front.. I can't remember if I was putting something up there or fueling up or something, but the wind caught it and it smacked me in the head.
    Had a cut like Harry Potter. Would have been funny to dress up like Harry Potter if it was closer to Halloween when it happened!
    Now when I got to fuel up I either have something holding the hood up or I put it down so that it rests on the gas pump (Which I am sure that someone is going to say "You shouldn't do that!")

My VIN:    6125

My lift struts are shot and the weather has been cold so I've hit my head quite a few times in the past couple weeks.

Now I know why MJF complained so much about the car during filming. It's a real pain in the ass when the doors don't say up!

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

hood holder

I made a metal prop that holds the hood up in any weather.

My VIN:    4534

Oh yeah, I have had the hood hit me. It was during the paint stripping. I didn't get cut but I did get a decent chemical burn. I've had the louvers and lower engine cover fall on me while I was working. That was before I replaced the louver's struts. That hurt.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    03572

When you're a new owner it's inevitable. But now I will always lookout for the doors when I walk by a D. I always say watch out when other people are around my D with open doors.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Utah DeLorean View Post
    I haven't hit the door.. but I have been hit by the hood in the front.. I can't remember if I was putting something up there or fueling up or something, but the wind caught it and it smacked me in the head.
    Had a cut like Harry Potter. Would have been funny to dress up like Harry Potter if it was closer to Halloween when it happened!
    Now when I got to fuel up I either have something holding the hood up or I put it down so that it rests on the gas pump (Which I am sure that someone is going to say "You shouldn't do that!")
    I did pretty much the same thing. Fueling up and the wind caught it. But I think it was partly my fault, I don't think I had it "completely" open. My struts are brand new and actually hold quite well, IF you open them all the way. I just got bumped on the shoulder though, I fared much better than you
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood