FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Found a Delorean! What do you think it's worth?

Found a Delorean! What do you think it's worth?

I sold 2867 months ago and have been searching for another D. I haven't found 'the one' yet. By chance I was working on a project for a man and spotted this Delorean through the woods. I saw the owner taking his dog for a walk and approached him. Sure enough, it's for sale. I had limited time to assess the car, but did snap some photos and get a really good feel for what is good and what is bad. I'm going to return this weekend for some time with the car.

The good:
    -Except for the one blistered area on the front frame extension, the fame looks like it's in very good shape. The epoxy in all other areas looks to have survived well.
    -16,000 miles, original owner.
    -The body is in miraculously good shape, and the panel gap around the doors is perfect(the first Delorean I've ever seen in person to have perfectly aligned doors and body panels).
    -It's all there.

The bad:
    -It hasn't been driven since the early 1990's and doesn't run. Will likely need complete mechanical restoration. Brakes, cooling system, fuel system, power steering .
    -The windshield is cracked, the dash and binnacle are shot. A pillar trim needs replaced.
    -Fascias are shot.
    -Tires and all rubber components, gaskets, are shot.

So... what does the community think this car is worth? I'm very tempted to make a play for it and save it, but I want to buy the car for the right price. I have an idea. I'm sure the owner has an idea. What's your idea?
    Attached Images

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Short answer: Your Body and soul

Long answer: Well, frame looks great. Engine must need some work. I'd say between 10K to 15K would be a good deal.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

That's a fair bit of work involved. $15K would be pushing it, but at 12 or 13 (assuming you have the skills to fix most of it yourself) wouldn't be too bad a deal. Just be prepared to dump a ton of dollars into it.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Short answer: Your Body and soul

Long answer: Well, frame looks great. Engine must need some work. I'd say between 10K to 15K would be a good deal.
    $15k is way, way too much for a car that has some cosmetic issues & hasn't run in 2 decades. $8,000-$11,000 tops, IMO.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    747, Rally D, formally 10309, Marty Mcfly 85 Toyota, 2004 Mach 1

I bought 10309 for 5k and it was better off than this D. Same problem was that it hadn't run in sometime. If the guy is serious you should be able to get it for under 10K

My VIN:    05457

Less than $10k for sure for a non-running car with cosmetic issues, I'd say $8k. Since it doesn't run, for all you know the engine has a hole in the valley and needs to be replaced entirely (though unlikely). You will need to put a lot of time and money in to get it operational and that should be reflected in the price you pay. It sounds like you are buying a frame and good body panels with everything else needing to be fixed/replaced.

Of course, at the end of the day it is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. If I were that buyer I wouldn't pay more than $8k.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    5312, (860 sold)

I paid $9500 for mine a year ago and it had been sitting in a garage since 1991.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Oh boy....
    Looking a your prices paid...I feel mugged!!!!
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

It sounds like the car gets in worse and worse shape the farther down the thread we go He did say frame and body are almost perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeaboy1 View Post
    The good:
    -Except for the one blistered area on the front frame extension, the fame looks like it's in very good shape. The epoxy in all other areas looks to have survived well.
    -16,000 miles, original owner.
    -The body is in miraculously good shape, and the panel gap around the doors is perfect(the first Delorean I've ever seen in person to have perfectly aligned doors and body panels).
    -It's all there.
    I guess it's a little hard for everyone on here to say without pictures of it.
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

My VIN:    6125

I'd say less than 10k for sure. I'd offer 7 and see his reaction. The frame looked pretty bubbled up in the front... I'd expect there would be rust hidden in other areas too that you couldn't see with the car on the ground. If you can get a jack underneath and prop it up on jack stands that would be a better opportunity to scope out the rust.

The exterior looks cooked from the sun. The tail light lenses are pretty faded to yellow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast