FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Frame in Solidworks?

My VIN:    1569

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    So I started back on this a bit and right off that bat, something doesn't work out. Going by A, B and D, C does not work out right, there is a 25mm difference. What makes it really weird is that the dimension for C does not properly convert to inches (1105mm = 43.50", not 43.62"). I'm thinking the most likely thing is that the B measurement is taken in 3 dimensions, unlike A, B and D, which are only measured in the X and Y directions. But then my question is, should C be 1105mm or 43.62"?

Attachment 24702Attachment 24703
    Looks like the values in the manual can only be used as guidelines until you confirm by measuring a frame.

My VIN:    17082

I'm sure the values in the manual are for checking the frame is straight, but I figured they'd be enough to get a start. But they're really not. Which leaves me 2 options. Pull the body off my car (which is not really something I want to do at this point, but I might), or pick up a cheap rusted out frame that is straight. Anyone got a frame they don't want?
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by LordFly View Post
    I'm sure the values in the manual are for checking the frame is straight, but I figured they'd be enough to get a start. But they're really not. Which leaves me 2 options. Pull the body off my car (which is not really something I want to do at this point, but I might), or pick up a cheap rusted out frame that is straight. Anyone got a frame they don't want?
    When we developed our replacement frames. We took a roamer to 11 frames and checked for consistency. There is roughly a variance of an 1/8 inch over all. Seeing how these were not assembled to the highest standard to begin with that is pretty good.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Josh, what are the chances that you still have those measurements?
    - Devon

My VIN:    10904

A better question might be:

What are the chances a company that bases part of their business around unique customer services would part with data collected through a lengthy (pronounced "expensive") process of measuring and modeling parts, tweaking them to get em right, and testing a full up assembly to ensure it's right, for free?

I guess it never hurts to ask!

-Bob

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post
    A better question might be:

What are the chances a company that bases part of their business around unique customer services would part with data collected through a lengthy (pronounced "expensive") process of measuring and modeling parts, tweaking them to get em right, and testing a full up assembly to ensure it's right, for free?

I guess it never hurts to ask!

-Bob
    Since they can't sell the frames due to legal reasons, I'd say odds are probably pretty good!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Since they can't sell the frames due to legal reasons, I'd say odds are probably pretty good!
    Can't sell tube chassis. Stock design frames are ok to sell.

Unfortunately I can not hand over this information as it was very expensive to produce. Every bend, weld, gusset etc is a measurable point to every other component on the frame. Technically speaking there are over 1000 points of measurement on the chassis that could be checked if required throughout the fabrication process. That level of engineering and quality did not come without a price. The component print book covering all folding, forming and welding procedures with check dimensions is over 100 pages. To put this into perspective if I was to price the frame at 12k I would need to sell 67 frames to break even alone. Unless I proceed with putting a stainless chassis under every car I own and sell at a profit (not enough time or energy for that) it will take about 4 and a half years to break even.

The plus side to this is that all of the questionable frame cars I have purchased recently have a chance at a new life.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Can't sell tube chassis. Stock design frames are ok to sell.
    I'm VERY glad to hear this!!!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Can't sell tube chassis.
    what a shame, I really believed in that project...
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Unfortunately I can not hand over this information as it was very expensive to produce.
    I figured as much, just thought I'd ask
    - Devon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast