FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "cold air" intake

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

"cold air" intake

Hey everyone, so in order to get rid of the useless stove pipe intake I purchased the "cold air" intake from DMC. I really feel like I have to put cold air in quotes because coming from the import tuning world, I am used to a CAI generally being an aluminum tube extending down into the front bumper with a nice filter at the end to catch the coldest air. Obviously with a rear engine car things are a bit different. And I am sure the air will be much colder than the hot air coming in from the closed trap door in the stove pipe. Anyway, it is basically a large plastic extendable hose, no big deal as I also took the opportunity to replace the filter with a K&N which I've always used. So my question is, what have you guys done regarding the elbow and bracket right by the section coming in to the engine bay? The new intake is way too big for the bracket now unless I got a really long screw, but even then it doesn't seem that it would be very stable. Combine that with how touchy that elbow is connecting with the duct in the fender, and I feel like the first good bump I hit, it will all fall apart. Just wanted to see what everyone else had done. Pics attached of the area and bracket I am referring to. Thanks!IMG_1834.jpgIMG_1835.jpg
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    <snip> So my question is, what have you guys done regarding the elbow and bracket right by the section coming in to the engine bay? The new intake is way too big for the bracket now unless I got a really long screw, but even then it doesn't seem that it would be very stable. <snip>IMG_1834.jpgIMG_1835.jpg
    I removed the elbow and bracket and jammed the CAI hose into the hole. Works like a champ.

-bob

lol, did you literally jam it in? Because the large rubber end on the hose looks too big. Any pics?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

lol, did you literally jam it in? Because the large rubber end on the hose looks too big. Any pics?
    Don't expect to see any difference in gas mileage or performance. As bad as the OEM intake looks, it seems to work OK unless it is not in good working order. What I have seen is scoops made to fit on the grill to direct air into the intake. Looks like it could force some more air in at speed but again, do not expect any measurable improvement. Ditto for the K & N filter.
    David Teitelbaum

Yeah even true cold air intakes do not provide a huge advantage, I did not install it looking for that. Just wanted to do some housekeeping and eliminate the factory setup, and replace the filter.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The new intake is way too big for the bracket now unless I got a really long screw,]
    Yes, use a longer screw. 4mm. I think I usually make it work with the original screw and some effort.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I think I usually make it work with the original screw and some effort.
    Trust me I gave it as much effort as I could! With the elbow and the rubber end of the intake over top of it, the bracket cannot get back to its original spot, and every time I would try to move it around or give it some elbow grease, the elbow part will pop out of the duct end just inside the rear fender. Fun stuff! I will just take the factor screw to the hardware store and see if I can get a longer version.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    16867

Cold Air Intake

In spite of all the naysayers, I pursued my desire for a "cold air intake" and am very pleased with the results. Do I have more HP? Don't know. Do I have better gas mileage? Don't know. In either case, if I do, it is probably not very measurable. BUT, I have a much cleaner engine compartment. I'd send a pic along with this, but it is waaay to late for that tonight, so I'll try to correct that tomorrow.

In essence, air enters the vehicle's engine compartment via the rear scoops (as it always has) but it travels further into the pontoon and is filtered by a huge K&N off-road filter in the pontoon. Then it has a straight shot to the butterfly intake, much higher above the exhaust than the original route. It is clean and my twin turbos love it. Hang on. I have never posted a pic here before, but I'll try to do all of this tomorrow.

If you like a clean engine compartment, wait until you see what I did with the ballast resistors. Sacrilege!!!!!

Dick Ryan, The Rad Dad
    Vin 16867

My VIN:    03572

I just removed the thermal valve in the stock pipe. Also pulled the "stove" metalwork.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6679

I removed the elbow and coupled directly to the pipe inside the pontoon
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast