FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "cold air" intake

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

I did the same mod but never bothered with a new screw. I just leave the hose in the bracket without the screw. I can't imagine it going anywhere. Outside of DMCH the hose is really cheap so if it ever wears out (unlikely, I drive my DeLorean every few weeks at best these days) I'll just get a new one.

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    lol, did you literally jam it in? Because the large rubber end on the hose looks too big. Any pics?
    CAI.jpg

Mine came with a rubber end on the hose, and a rubber end disconnected. The end with the rubber goes to the air filter box, the other end goes in. The spare rubber ring goes in the box where I put the old bracket and elbow.

-Bob

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Kept the elbow and used a clamp on the air box connection.

To contribute to the pics, here is mine.

IMG_1624.jpg
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    6679

Since we're sharing pics, here's mine.

When I removed my elbow to connect directly to the pipe inside the pontoon, I found that pipe was not actually facing the correct direction - I had to reach in and rotate it a little to point directly out the side so that I could fit onto it. The former elbow was only protruding into the pontoon, it wasn't fitted completely onto the pipe itself. Here's the rubber fitting in place after I had corrected it, but before fitting the new pipe, so you can see inside it is directly fitted onto the internal pipe.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    Since we're sharing pics, here's mine.

When I removed my elbow to connect directly to the pipe inside the pontoon, I found that pipe was not actually facing the correct direction - I had to reach in and rotate it a little to point directly out the side so that I could fit onto it. The former elbow was only protruding into the pontoon, it wasn't fitted completely onto the pipe itself. Here's the rubber fitting in place after I had corrected it, but before fitting the new pipe, so you can see inside it is directly fitted onto the internal pipe.
    Is there some trick to connecting the elbow to the pipe in the pontoon? I am doing exactly what you're doing and I am finding that there is too much play in that pipe to get them to connect. I was worried the SS panel would have to come off to make it happen.

Chuck

My VIN:    4870

Quote Originally Posted by virtualchuck View Post
    Is there some trick to connecting the elbow to the pipe in the pontoon? I am doing exactly what you're doing and I am finding that there is too much play in that pipe to get them to connect. I was worried the SS panel would have to come off to make it happen.

Chuck
    I had the same type of issue. My elbow was flopping around when I tried to replace my hose. The only way I was able to get a good hand on it and adjust it was to remove the rear bumper and their is a access hole to get in there. I just happen to have it off to drill out some broken water pump bolts. If I fiddle with it I just know it will come right off. I wish there was a way to secure the elbow to the pontoon. That'd be nice
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

Quote Originally Posted by krs09 View Post
    I had the same type of issue. My elbow was flopping around when I tried to replace my hose. The only way I was able to get a good hand on it and adjust it was to remove the rear bumper and their is a access hole to get in there. I just happen to have it off to drill out some broken water pump bolts. If I fiddle with it I just know it will come right off. I wish there was a way to secure the elbow to the pontoon. That'd be nice
    It can be done much easier.
    The bottom end of the air inlet inside the pontoon has a water drainpipe.
    That drainpipe is sticking out at the bottom of the pontoon.

Use that sticking out piece to turn the inlet into the right position.
    Then push either the original elbow or your hose onto the inlet.
    Takes a couple of minutes to get the job done.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Thanks for all of the pics and info guys, it is really helpful! In regard to the elbow, I noticed in order to get it to "click"in place you have to twist it as you push it in and rotate to get the small dimples to line up, after doing that it will tighten up (wow this sounds really bad as I'm typing it). Once it is on there it will be pretty secure, but just a little bit of pull will make it pop off again, quite a headache so I may just bypass it like some of you guys did.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I got a longer screw and it worked perfectly. Fits right onto the stock elbow, no problem at all.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Exclamation

"It's cold! Air cold!"
    1-800-273-8255

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast