FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: "cold air" intake

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    "It's cold! Air cold!"
    I always thought that was the line too, but Bob Gale insists the line is "Damn cold" - I haven't got around to checking the subtitles on the Blu-ray (and DVD just in case it was amended in recent years) yet.
    Chris

"cold air" intake

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I always thought that was the line too, but Bob Gale insists the line is "Damn cold" - I haven't got around to checking the subtitles on the Blu-ray (and DVD just in case it was amended in recent years) yet.
    I'd actually never heard people thought that until I got on this forum. I guess my VHS was better than your VHS.
    Last edited by thirdmanj; 11-12-2013 at 06:28 AM.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    15874

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Don't expect to see any difference in gas mileage or performance. As bad as the OEM intake looks, it seems to work OK unless it is not in good working order. What I have seen is scoops made to fit on the grill to direct air into the intake. Looks like it could force some more air in at speed but again, do not expect any measurable improvement. Ditto for the K & N filter.
    Just to follow up on the scoop line of thinking for air intakes, just for fun, I ran the calc's on the intake air speed at RPM and found that the intake air speed exceeds the car's forward speed in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, it matches in 4th, and the car is faster than the intake air speed in 5th. As far as ram effect is concerned, apart from only functioning in 5th gear, the pressure differential to the engine is neglegible after the resistance of just a couple of elbows in the intake, and totally wiped out by the air filter. In other words-- there is no ram air benefit to be had from scoops. Scoops make sense for systems that are not associated with powered air, like brake ducts and intercoolers. But the engine is an sealed air pump, and it laughs at the 0.0000000001% benefit (conservatively) of adding an intake scoop. Imagine (if it were possible) halting the motion of your entire drivetrain by sealing your hand over the intake and you have a picture of the working pressure of the engine relative to what a scoop could improve.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3