FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: High Performance Brake Pads?

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    The current pads sold by DMC/dealers are ceramic and seem to be relatively low dust.
    Did I get the ceramic pads, as I thought that the ones I purchased from you were semi-metallic? When did you make the switch to ceramic?

Whatever my pads are, while they're not overly dirty (like the stock/OEM organic/asbestos pads were), they aren't super clean either, which is why I was looking into getting some RedStuff pads installed over winter hibernation... Well, that as well as for the reduced rotor wear vs semi-metallic pads... Then again, I liked how the organic/asbestos pads didn't wear the rotors at all, but then again, they only lasted about 14k miles before needing to be changed (but 9k of those miles were PO driven miles and I'm much easier on the brakes than most drivers as I regularly get over 100k miles out of pads/rotors). I'll have to think about this further...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Did I get the ceramic pads, as I thought that the ones I purchased from you were semi-metallic? When did you make the switch to ceramic?

Whatever my pads are, while they're not overly dirty (like the stock/OEM organic/asbestos pads were), they aren't super clean either, which is why I was looking into getting some RedStuff pads installed over winter hibernation... Well, that as well as for the reduced rotor wear vs semi-metallic pads... Then again, I liked how the organic/asbestos pads didn't wear the rotors at all, but then again, they only lasted about 14k miles before needing to be changed (but 9k of those miles were PO driven miles and I'm much easier on the brakes than most drivers as I regularly get over 100k miles out of pads/rotors). I'll have to think about this further...
    You don't get "dustless" pads without compromising other more desirable qualities. Part of what makes a good pad is the fact that it wears. Pads are cheap and easy to replace compared to the rotors. When you run a car on the track you can expect to use at least a set of pads AND tires IN ONE DAY! And a LOT of gas.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Not necessarily, it depends on the compound. A few years back in my amateur racing days out team had a 2900lb V8 Volvo 244 that we ran endurance road racing, incredible brakes kept us among the fastest cars. We used Rayspestos ST43 pads which are derived from a NASCAR compound. We could out brake just about every car pulling over 1.5G in decel. The had terrific feedback, required very little heat to start working, Fade was minimal unless you really cooked them. The front pads would last enough for our 24hr endurance races and another track day or two after that. The rears would then be good for another 8hrs of heavy abuse. Best of all the rotors would NOT get chewed up. High heat micro cracks would kill them after about 25hrs, they were just the good quality Stock spec Brembo rotors. Even brake dust wasnt much of an issue. They only drawback was the cost.

Called and got a quote for having a set of pads made in the st43 compound. A whopping $199 for the front and $279 for the rear. Compared to $45 and $38 for stock. With shipping that is over $500 for some pads....

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Called and got a quote for having a set of pads made in the st43 compound. A whopping $199 for the front and $279 for the rear. Compared to $45 and $38 for stock. With shipping that is over $500 for some pads....
    Wow, that's a lot!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6353

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...d-ultimate.jpg

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...es-rotors.html

This Axxis Ceramics looks to be a good deal at $50 bucks and ceramic so no dust on those hard to clean delorean wheels. then the next upgrade would be vented rotors, but have to modify or buy new calipers for that, gets pricey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2