FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil return line

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Oil return line

I've started getting serious on my supercharger project and have prototyped the mount. I'm now figuring out the oil supply and oil return. The supply I believe is best achieved by putting in an extension between the oil sender unit and the block. I'll just tap the line into that extension.

For the return, the most common thing to do is just tap into the oil pan, above the oil line. I was wondering if tapping into #19 on this page, http://store.delorean.com/c-268-1-1-...ndipstick.aspx would work? This is a plug that fits into the bottom of the crankcase. I was thinking that this would be a way to pre-fit the return line securely and then swap out plugs. Reversible too. Is this plug common to the drain pan or just to oil passages in the crankcase?

If I have to tap directly into the oil pan, does someone have a picture of where their's is tapped? Is there a good procedure so as to avoid getting metal into the pan?

Thanks.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03572

How about a return nipple in the oil fill pipe?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I've started getting serious on my supercharger project and have prototyped the mount. I'm now figuring out the oil supply and oil return. The supply I believe is best achieved by putting in an extension between the oil sender unit and the block. I'll just tap the line into that extension.

For the return, the most common thing to do is just tap into the oil pan, above the oil line. I was wondering if tapping into #19 on this page, http://store.delorean.com/c-268-1-1-...ndipstick.aspx would work? This is a plug that fits into the bottom of the crankcase. I was thinking that this would be a way to pre-fit the return line securely and then swap out plugs. Reversible too. Is this plug common to the drain pan or just to oil passages in the crankcase?

If I have to tap directly into the oil pan, does someone have a picture of where their's is tapped? Is there a good procedure so as to avoid getting metal into the pan?

Thanks.
    That is the suction line into the pump. If it were to your return line went dry it would pull air into the pump and ruin the engine.

You need to get one of the instruction sheets for the old turbo setups and tap into the side of the crankcase. They recommend putting grease all over the drill and case as you drill to catch the chips, I'd feel better with the pan off but it's a lot of extra work.

I would not dump it into a valve cover - too high for gravity feed and would put more oil in the cam area than is probably necessary.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Helpful as usual Dave, thank you.

Does anyone have a photo or good description of where the turbo kits drain into?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Does anyone have a photo or good description of where the turbo kits drain into?
    OilReturn2.jpg OilReturn1.jpg

III. OIL DRAIN:
    14. Refer to illustration [] for the location of the hole to be drilled for the oil drain fitting.
    NOTE: When drilling and tapping this hole, use a heavy grease to keep the metal chips from entering the engine.
    The hole should be tapped perpendicular to the surface the hole is drilled in.
    15. When tapping is completed, clean the area surrounding the hole.
    16. Use a pipe thread sealant when installing the 3/8" pipe to -10 steel fitting provided.

IV. OIL SUPPLY:
    17. Locate the oil pressure sending unit next to the filter, and after disconnecting its wire, remove it from the engine.
    18. Install in its place, using pipe thread sealant on all pipe threads, the 1/8" pipe nipple supplied, then the 1/8" pipe tee, then the pressure sender inline with its original location.
    19. Into the open side of the tee, which should, when tight, be pointing straight up, install one of the 1/8" pipe to -4,
    45° fittings supplied, which when tight should point out directly away from the engine.
    20. Reconnect the pressure sender wiring.

IIRC, there is a ~1.5" plug on the left side of the block that might be more appropriate...you don't need to be this low with a supercharger.
    Last edited by Ron; 11-07-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks Ron.... of course that drain hole is on the wrong side for where I'm putting my supercharger....................
    For the supply, the instructions refer to a 1/8" pipe nipple. Does anyone know if that is just straight NPT threads? Pitch? Thanks.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The above was from BAE. From Island:
    25a. The proper installation of the oil return lines is critical to avoid oil leakage and proper oil return to the motor sump. Bag #6 contains oil fittinqs and hardware. Remove the two 45° elbows. Two holes Nill be tapped in the block next to the oil pan rail. Measure from the back outside edge of the oil pan rail forward 6 1/8 to 6 1/4 inches on each side of the motor. Mark this spot. In this application the back of the motor is considered to be the end of the motor with the belt pulley, not the flywheel end of the motor. Using the correct -drill and pipe tap that matches the supplied elbows. drill and tap both sides of the motor block. The block is thin in this area but a good thread can be made. Use plenty of pipe thread sealer on the elbows and install them in the block with their ends pointing towards the turbo oil drain holes.
    Do not use Teflon tape!
    2 DL-606 3/8 N.P.T. #10 x 45 Deg. Fittings
    1 37/64 Drill Bit
    1/8 N. Pipe Tap Letter R Drill [???]

(FYI- I put both instruction sets in Resources)
    Last edited by Ron; 11-07-2013 at 09:26 AM.