FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mod & Restoration of Vin# 10480

My VIN:    10480

Cool Mod & Restoration of Vin# 10480

Hi, I'm new around these parts. My D has been stored in my grandad's barn for the past half decade. I'm just starting the process of reviving it. I'm friends with Jeremiah (DeLorean03) who helped me get it started plus a few other things that needed done. As soon as we get the basics covered, I'll be shipping it to Eddie (82DMC-12) who will be putting electronic fuel injection on. Here are a few photos right after taking the old girl out of the barn and getting her transported to my house. Yes, that is straw clinging to the back tire.

DeLorean005.jpgDeLorean003.jpg

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Looks like a cool project

Good luck with it!!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Other than EFI, do you plan on any other modifications?

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Welcome to the forum.
    Keep us update of your future plan on your car

Other than EFI, it just needs a lot of TLC, including a lot of the cosmetic stuff. I plan to keep it fairly "stock" except for the EFI, so no major changes planned.

My VIN:    6125

Welcome to the board! Cool story about the car and glad to hear your restoration is in process. It sounds like you've owned the car for a while then? I'm interested to hear more about you and your journey with the car so far.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by SherryC View Post
    Other than EFI, it just needs a lot of TLC, including a lot of the cosmetic stuff. I plan to keep it fairly "stock" except for the EFI, so no major changes planned.
    From the pictures, the only cosmetic issue that I can see is the passenger side fender appears to be somewhat overly flared out at the bottom front of the wheel arch, but definitely appears to be repairable.

The fascia paint, at least what we can see of it, looks 'solid' - maybe just a buff and a wax. Wheel finish looks great. Stainless looks fine, but you may want to go over the entire car with scotch-brite pads (I did this upon first buying my car 12 years ago and probably should again in the near future). Other than those few things, probably just needs a really good wash/detail job.

Definitely a nice example to start with and the fact that it's been in the family for quite some time makes it all that much better!

Hope to see/meet you and your car at DCS this year

BTW - FYI, there's another owner's forum - www.DMCToday.com

Thanks! There are a few issues that aren't obvious from the photos... the paint on the front fascia has completely peeled on the top, flat horizontal part. Also have some paint cracking on the rear louvers, and the A-arms need re-covered. First it looks like I'm gonna be working on the deferred mechanical maintenance issues, though... Today I discovered the windshield wipers don't work. They made a weird electrical-motor type noise, then silence. Never moved. Fans don't come on either, for which I bought a new otterstat. Jeremiah is probably coming over this week to help with a few things before it goes to Florida.

I brought the car with me from California. PO was Clives Gilton who owns/owned Don-a-Vee Jeep in the L.A. area.

Since I live in the Dayton area, I'm trying to get it ready for the show this summer
    Last edited by SherryC; 11-11-2013 at 10:33 PM.

My VIN:    3299

So, now that I am home from work, I can give some details here.

Jessica and I first saw 10480 on Saturday the 9th. Overall, most things are cosmetic. I feel that there's some tuning up to do, but for the most part, it really shouldn't take too much to get 10480 back on the road. There's just a lot of "make sure this works ad that works" to do before it gets back on the road, and with the first snow falling here tonight/today - well - guess we have plenty of time for that.

There's a good amount of cosmetic work to be done. I didn't get a chance to test out all the lights, switches, accessories, and all that other kind of stuff. We'll get there with time. Shouldn't be too bad/difficult of a restoration. Eddie's taking out the difficult part, no more KJet to worry about.

This car shows signs of being loved at a time when things were not so hectic for Sherry. Clearly, there's the SS coolant bottle, the relay kit, the RPM relay, and a new fuel pump had all been installed before I got there. Best way to say it - some things are way more important than a car, and I fully understand why it had to be into storage. Won't be hard to get back on its feet - especially with all the owners and resources we have both here and in the local area.

Here's a couple photos I took that day. They all come from my FB page:

1375061_10151842085848710_1207850171_n.jpg

1459944_10151842086333710_422527641_n.jpg

2531_10151842087108710_594090636_n.jpg

580595_10151842088178710_1049920547_n.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg
    Yep, that's a mouse nest. Thank goodness, no wires had been made into a meal by them...

1396035_10151842091088710_285872637_n.jpg

DSCF0225.jpg
    We installed some new high pressure fuel lines as well as fuel injection clamps. The previous person who worked on this car installed fuel hoses with NO FUEL CLAMPS. (/)_-)

DSCF0226.jpg
    All ready to go! Before the new hoses were installed, we did a thorough fuel system flush.

DSCF0227.jpg
    New battery and battery bolts

DSCF0228.jpg

Got the engine ready to prime the air plenum with drops of fuel to help get the engine idling.

DSCF0234.jpg

I donated my old door and louvre struts to 10480. Made working on the car a lot easier, and I truly feel it's one of those "psychological" boosts to see the doors open.

DSCF0231.jpg

10480's new plates
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DeLorean03; 12-20-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Club(s):   (DCF)

I was glad to hear the secret potion got the car running!! Here is a model of the new injector design my mechanical engineering is working on. This will be used on your car and the other one that will be showing up in January.

-Ed

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast