FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Annoying little DeLorean problems...

My VIN:    1930 June 1981, Black Interior, Automatic Transmission, Gas Flap Hood

Club(s):   (DOI)

Annoying little DeLorean problems...

Hi guys,

I noticed last night on the drive home that my oil light would flicker on and off intermittently as I was sitting at red lights. As I gave the car gas, it would shut off and if the car was moving, it would be off. Soon after stopping it would flicker on again...Is this something to be concerned about? Could it be a loose connection somewhere?

Also, The brake light still comes on...Thanks Jonathan...Now I know how to get into the mechanism...could that be a loose/dirty ground issue as well?

Thanks,
    Dean

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I assume your oil level is ok? What does the pressire gauge do when this happens, if it fluctuates at all look at your oil pump or screen, if the gauge does nothing you may look at the light sensor, or the plug at the sensor. What does your gauge read at idle and at mid range?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    1930 June 1981, Black Interior, Automatic Transmission, Gas Flap Hood

the pressure goes to zero when at a stop then rises as I accelerate.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This isn't good. I've found that the oil light is remarkably accurate about telling you when there is ZERO oil pressure. The fact that the gauge confirms it is very telling.

What weight oil are you running? How many miles on the engine?

Typically very low oil pressure is symptomatic of a bad oil pump or very worn bearings - both pretty rare failure. Or a plugged pickup (there isn't a screen, so if that plugs its big wads of sludge). I've seen that happen on cars coming out of decades of storage with bad oil in the engine.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Canon20DFan
    My oil gauge drops at idle (not to zero, though) then rises significantly when driving. It's never been steady like in my Toyotas, but I believe that's normal for a Delorean.

Quote Originally Posted by Canon20DFan View Post
    My oil gauge drops at idle (not to zero, though) then rises significantly when driving. It's never been steady like in my Toyotas, but I believe that's normal for a Delorean.
    Yours and mine are remanufactured cars, meaning they have the updated pressure sensor which will not peg the gauge at all times. Mine goes down to a lower level at idle(between 0 and the first mark which is probably 15psi+/-, and rises to the 3/4 mark during travel. Cold oil shows elevated readings which is normal. The factory built cars, if I remember right, had a mis-calibrated Volvo sensor which pretty much pegged the oil gauge at all times, even when the engine was warm and at idle.

Not in charge....luckily for you Renee_1632's Avatar

My VIN:    01632

My oil gauge also drops at idle, then goes way back up as I'm driving. This has occurred since I've owned it. But mine's not remanufactured. Is that okay?
    Renee

VIN 1632

You know you're a DeLorean owner when "Run DMC" is not an 80's band, but a daily prayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Renee_1632 View Post
    My oil gauge also drops at idle, then goes way back up as I'm driving. This has occurred since I've owned it. But mine's not remanufactured. Is that okay?
    Like I said, I honestly can't remember the specifics, except that the factory oil pressure sender would make the gauge read much higher, even pegging the gauge. Now I seem to recall reading that this was done intentionally so new Delorean owners would not worry upon seeing their new cars with "low" oil pressure. I have read so much over the past 5 years that some things become fuzzy as to if they are fact or lore.

It could be that yours has been replaced with a different sending unit already. However, I think with something this critical, I would want to be 100% sure what my pressure was. Since the new sending units are cheap and easy to replace, maybe pick one up and replace it at your next oil change.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Back to the OP - the gauge reading by itself wouldn't worry me. Neither would a flickering light - if the gauge was reading high.

The light going on at the same time the gauge reads zero is scary.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I just had my mechanic do a head gasket job and a coolant system overhaul with a new rad, hoses, etc...

He put in 10w30. The level is fine on the dipstick and there is no white colouration of the oil. This was completed just last month. I only have about 200 miles on the car since then.

Maybe I should just order part 102763.

Thanks,
    Dean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast