FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

"If you're going to get into Deloreans, ya gotta have a spare".
    Kirk

My VIN:    3501

Club(s):   (DMA)

If you look closely during the intro, he's in 2 different DeLoreans. One has the original OEM high nose suspension. Then in the next cut he's on the highway with a slammed down modern setup. It cuts back and forth between the 2 cars. Check it out.

I know which direction they were going in as soon as it started with him fumbling to get the key in the ignition.

Very cliche...

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by nofear365 View Post
    If you look closely during the intro, he's in 2 different DeLoreans. One has the original OEM high nose suspension. Then in the next cut he's on the highway with a slammed down modern setup. It cuts back and forth between the 2 cars. Check it out.

I know which direction they were going in as soon as it started with him fumbling to get the key in the ignition.

Very cliche...
    Or you can tell by the TRAILER HITCH on the back of the Cletusmobile that breaks down.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Wait a minute… Just saw the episode, and I smell a rat (or at least a product placement)…

Why would Jerry Senfeld have the uber app on his phone…would he really use a service like that, especially in Los Angeles (where I'm sure he could easily get another ride set up)? And their banter in the street flowed pretty well... could have been rehearsed. Lastly, between the onscreen graphics and Jerry's mention of uber, it just smacked of "paid endorsement".

I doubt that DMC-CA would provide them with a car that was working properly, and an overheating condition could probably be faked or induced pretty easily.

EDIT: I just noticed that the uber app was on the other guy's phone. But it still smacks of product placement.
    Last edited by SoCalDMC12; 01-09-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'd think that DMC-CA would stand more to lose by faking a car issue (thus affecting future sales), than to gain if it worked w/o incident on this very public video (some of the car blogs are now picking up the incident, and regurgitating it over the internet).

I do agree with as previously written, the 'thump-thump-thump' sound was most likely the fan belt broke, which causes the car to overheat, and blow out coolant out the reservoir bottle overflow, and to the ground. With the length of the cooling system on these cars, you only have a few minutes before the overheating condition starts, once the belt goes. However, as soon as that belt goes, that would have lit up the battery dash light, because that belt also takes out the alternator from the system and the car is only running on the battery.

It's a shame this happened, this will not assist the car's short term future in terms of valuation and reputation.
    Last edited by Ozzie; 01-09-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean02378 View Post
    "If you're going to get into Deloreans, ya gotta have a spare".
    Oh, stop teasing. No one has two DeLoreans.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    Wait a minute… Just saw the episode, and I smell a rat (or at least a product placement)…
    I think Hulk Hogan body slamming Andre the Giant in Wrestlemania 3 was less scripted than this Comedians In Cars episode...

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    10718

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    I'd think that DMC-CA would stand more to lose by faking a car issue (thus affecting future sales), than to gain if it worked w/o incident on this very public video (some of the car blogs are now picking up the incident, and regurgitating it over the internet).
    The more I think about it, the more I think this was a product placement for Uber...

1) Delorean Motor Company wasn't very prominently featured, but Uber was, and Uber had a lot to gain from a mention of their service. The production company could easily stage a breakdown without DMC's help, or prior knowledge.

2) If they had a spare D, it would have been on site where ever they were filming in case of a breakdown. If it was a legitimate breakdown, why wouldn't they have switched it out at Oswalt's home?

3) If they didn't have a spare D pre-arranged, it would have taken a while for DMC-CA to get one up to them in LA. (Huntington Beach to Downtown LA is about an hour drive if you're lucky enough to have no traffic... plus time to check/prep a car, and arrange for transportation.)

4) In order to film a Uber car, and driver, I'm guessing that they would have had to sign some agreements (liability, compensation, distribution rights, etc.) in advance of filming.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

...then it makes me wonder what DMC-CA's or DMC-TX's response was/is to the episode.

I had assumed that DMC-CA made that second car appear, pronto, as Jerry and Patton and the production crew, probably did spend some time at the coffee shop.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    16353

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    That was brutal. From the opening scene where he fumbles with the key, to the pissing of coolant all over the road. Not to mention all the negative comments. It just makes the car look bad.
    I couldn't agree more.

Let's face it folks, the media loves to rip into our cars about what a failure it was and still is. This is why I don't understand all the hate from owners about the Back to the Future references. I'll take BTTF jokes any day of the week, even if I've heard them a million times, over why the car is supposedly such a disaster.

I was shocked that DMC-CA gave them a car that ended up having issues. Or maybe it's just the bad luck DeLorean's seem to have when the cameras are rolling.

But nothing can be done about it now. Just the millions of people who'll watch this and be disillusioned by the car. And on-top of that, the automotive gear-heads who'll just shake their heads in agreement, with that "told you so/we've always known" attitude (the haters).

And I can assure you now, any of those DeLorean biopics ever get made by some of those Hollywood types, it's not going to be pretty.
    Last edited by martydmc12; 01-09-2014 at 08:52 PM.

My VIN:    6298

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post

Why would Jerry Senfeld have the uber app on his phone…would he really use a service like that, especially in Los Angeles (where I'm sure he could easily get another ride set up)? And their banter in the street flowed pretty well... could have been rehearsed. Lastly, between the onscreen graphics and Jerry's mention of uber, it just smacked of "paid endorsement".

I doubt that DMC-CA would provide them with a car that was working properly, and an overheating condition could probably be faked or induced pretty easily.

EDIT: I just noticed that the uber app was on the other guy's phone. But it still smacks of product placement.
    What are the odds that Uber pulls up in an Acura? Acura is the primary and sole sponsor of the entire TV series for multiple seasons.
    Bill

VIN 6298 - '81 Gray Auto

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast