FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: '82 DMC-12 assessment

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    This is something I don't get at all. If you're serious about doing it, then why is making the trip to see the car in persona, even multiple times, so very difficult? Even at a discounted price, we're still talking serious money here - aren't we? And yet it's not worth a few gallons of gas and a few hours of your time?

COME ON!

When I purchased my car, I made a 1,200 mile round trip twice (two whole days and 2,400 miles of driving) - once to scout several cars along a carefully planned/determined route, and once to purchase/pick-up my car. And that was only after visiting several other area cars (within a 300 mile radius) that I previously rejected. All together, I probably expended 3,500 miles and the requisite time before finally purchasing #1798.

If it's too much of a hassle to actually visit the car a couple times before deciding whether or not to purchase, then my honest advice is that a DeLorean is not for you - your heart will never be in it. A DeLorean is an enthusiast's car. It's not a new car and will never be like a new car, no matter how nice of a car you may have. And an enthusiast would not be making a deal out of a 2.5 hour drive. Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to make a point here.

If the frame was previously messed with, that says that a PO did a lot of messing with this car. If that PO, or his hires, didn't really know what they were doing, it could be a disaster. Or maybe they did know what they were doing and everything is just fine. You either really need to know what you're looking at or have someone go with you that does in order to accurately assess the value.
    Your opinion here is incredibly subjective- everyone approaches big purchases differently. I am a HUGE enthusiast... I started saving money to buy a DeLorean when I was 11 years old. By the time I graduated high school, I began to look around for one to buy. First, I made friends in the DeLorean community, and attended several meets. I probably looked at a dozen perspective cars. The first one I ended up buying was 6 hours away... I drove down & tested out the car, and returned the next weekend with the cash to buy it.

In retrospect, even after looking at a dozen DeLoreans, I could have found a better car for my money. So when it was time to replace my first DeLorean, I was far more persnickety. The seller of my second DeLorean insisted on me taking the car for 3 days and traveling to a DeLorean meet several hours away I had planned on attending. Even though I fell in love with that DeLorean, I didn't immediately purchase it. The memory of my first car was still fresh, so I brought in my parents (who have always bought & sold classic cars & motorcycles) for their opinions. I probably visited the car a third time before I purchased it. There are some things you just want to get right.

DeLorean ownership can be a bit like marriage... it's a big commitment. You want to make sure you settle down with the right car for YOU. For instance, the OP wasn't sure he wanted a project car or an automatic. This one is both. He might regret being pressured into buying this car down the road. Even if he buys it cheaply, there's no guarantee he can unload the car for what he has in it once he gets it roadable. I've seen owner after owner sour to the cars after they bought examples that drained their wallets & patience. They were all enthusiasts, but they all had their breaking points, too. Just some things to think about. Being an owner & enthusiast is absolutely different for every person out there.
    Louie Golden

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6298 View Post
    (snip)
    I recommend:

- Learn everything in James' buying guide book (http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-th...tomobiles.aspx).
    - Read forum posts on a regular basis to make sure you enjoy staying engaged
    - Research and price common procedures for different levels of a restoration

This may not apply to your specific situation but I thought I'd share a real world story.

Good luck.

Bill

Thanks for mentioning this, Bill - I'm always surprised that people are willing to spend ten(s) of thousands on a car based on an inexperienced third-party inspection and some photos. We see lots of cars bought that way come in to DMC and they almost invariably are cars that were overpriced.

I wrote this book over 7 or 8 years off based on my experiences buying and selling DeLorean cars - about 200 in the last 18 year. It was created to help people know what to look for and what to look out for - but it's part of a multi-step process that Bill also mentioned. I would love to be able to spend hours on the phone with any of the number of callers I speak to who want to know "what to look for" when evaluating a DeLorean. Even if I had the time to do so, it would only scratch the surface and you wouldn't retain a fraction of the information I would download on you. The book, with 120 pages and more than 200 color photos and illustrations, lays it all out for you.

Lots of other good comments here, as well - and in the end, however, a detailed personal inspection by a prospective buyer (after they know exactly what to look for) is the only way to buy a DeLorean. There are far too many "gotcha" things that can turn a "great deal" into seemingly bottomless money pit faster than you can write a check.

Final plug - the book (The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles - free PDF preview available on the site) is also available on Amazon, Ebay and most of the DMC dealers have it in stock, as well.
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    6298

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Final plug - the book (The Illustrated Buyer's Guide to DeLorean Automobiles - free PDF preview available on the site) is also available on Amazon, Ebay and most of the DMC dealers have it in stock, as well.
    You can easily read the book in one sitting. This helps makes the re-read or skimming hassle free.

FWIW, I don't mean to be buzzkill to the OP. I can honestly say it was a lot of fun to jump in head first and pull the trigger. :-)

After re-reading the post, I would try to ask subtle questions to find out if the owner started this car up with the original gas after so many years. He may not even know the damage this can cause. Try to get him to walk through the entire storage process from A to Z. Let him tell the story without any probing. Find out why it was stored. If it was stored drivable and was driven periodically, that would be a plus. If fluids were changed out periodically, even better. Some folks will be really proud of non-standard customizations and repairs. Non-standard is only as good as the PO's abilities or luck. Assess the quality of the car and the previous owner's track record with the car.

My VIN:    4519

This is something I don't get at all. If you're serious about doing it, then why is making the trip to see the car in persona, even multiple times, so very difficult? Even at a discounted price, we're still talking serious money here - aren't we? And yet it's not worth a few gallons of gas and a few hours of your time?

COME ON!
    Fair point, here's the explanation:

I was planning two trips; one for a test drive and take pics to share on this post, then a 2nd trip to make an offer & load the car on a trailer. If I felt capable enough, I'd do it in one trip. I'm new at this so my approach is 1)get info, ask for input 2)make a decision. I really do value the help & input I've received here. If I knew a DeLorean owner I'd absolutely take them with me.

Since my friend will be passing by there tomorrow, I see no harm in getting the pics in advance of the trip....seems like good intel to have. If it looks like a worthwhile find, I'll be there on Saturday (instead of next weekend) to see it in person.

I absolutely plan on seeing this car in person and driving it....

I'll be at the DCS (with/without a car,) 10 hour drive 'cause I really do have a genuine interest, always have.....but now I can afford it.

I'm starting to appear a bit clumsy in my approach, so I'd like to clarify: my original approach is to learn & research over the winter, then shop in the $20K - $25K range for a nice manual-shift model in the Spring/Summer. I registered on this site, been reading posts (and now the IGBDA,) and planning a trip to the DCS.

Then someone happened upon this car yesterday and it seems like it could be a good deal, so I'm just taking a slight detour 'cause I'm not one to overlook an opportunity.

If I can get anything for <50% of what it's worth, I'll buy it. I floated this out there for help in assessing the situation and I very much appreciate everyone's input. I'll finish the .pdf book tonite, will continue to learn, and soon enough will be competent enough to know what I'm doing.

If the car isn't a smoking hot deal, I'll pass....no biggie. If I see any 1oz pure silver boullion for $10 each, I'll buy those too.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6298 View Post
    I recommend:

- Learn everything in James' buying guide book (http://store.delorean.com/p-10550-th...tomobiles.aspx).
    - Read forum posts on a regular basis to make sure you enjoy staying engaged
    - Research and price common procedures for different levels of a restoration

This may not apply to your specific situation but I thought I'd share a real world story.

Good luck.

Bill
    Good advice....thanks!

Banned

My VIN:    1798

My little rant wasn't wholly directed at you - sorry if I came off like an ass.

It's just that all too often, both here and on DMCToday.com, and for some reason or another fairly recently, there have been quite a few people that show up, say how excited they are about wanting a car, and then act like it's too much to travel more than 10 minutes away from their residence to look at a prospective car. I honestly don't get/understand that attitude, but as Louie said above:

"I've seen owner after owner sour to the cars after they bought examples that drained their wallets & patience."

I believe that the lack of patience/commitment to the car is what seals the fate of such owners/cars (in addition to a lack of funds / inability to do your own work on the car), and making a deal out of a trip to look at a prospective car, in my mind anyway, is indicative of the lack of such. And it's not just with DeLoreans - the same applies to any classic/vintage/exotic car.

I don't believe that to be you though, as you've stated that you've grown up around cars.

Also - it doesn't take $20k-$25k to find a great car. If you're patient, are willing to shop around (travel), and truly committed, you should be able to find a great car for $16k-$19k. I paid $18k for mine, and it's a collector's grade concours example that I've driven cross country.

The car you're presently looking at could be a great buy, and not as large of a 'project' as others are making it out to be. Any classic/vintage/exotic/old car will require an on-going expense in keeping it maintained and roadable, but usually if the car runs and drives normally, the remaining 'essentials' tend to be minimal and manageable. As for the rest (cosmetics), it all depends on how nice you want to take it. If the frame has been previously messed with, then it's more likely than not that other things on the car have also been messed with. However, the headlights, lighter, and windows don't necessarily mean that the electrical has been hacked, as we've already covered the more than probable causes of those issues in detail (most of which can be easily confirmed one way or the other before you even decide whether or not to purchase).

A test drive (a good long test drive at various speeds so everything gets up to temp), photos, and a video of the engine idling will get you a fairly accurate assessment.

Best of luck and have fun checking this car out!
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 11-22-2013 at 01:04 AM.

My VIN:    6514

Club(s):   (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

You may also want to purchase a copy of James Espey's book..."The Illustrated Buyers Guide to Deloreans". Full of a lot of useful information. As stated above....don't jump on the first one you come across, no matter how badly you want one! Took me over 20 years, between finding the money and the "right car". You'll know it when you see it.
    LINYDC.........Long Island New York Delorean Club has many knowledgeable members who I'm Sure would be willing to assist you and answer any questions you might have.

My VIN:    3589

We'll help ya!

If you can still get to your friend today before he snaps pics, have him take LOTS of pics under the car. Specifically, where the frame goes "under the engine" (The cradle) just behind the driveshafts/axles. Take as many as he can from all angles. Also, up front, the "flat area" under the very front of the car, just behind the radiator. Gets lots of pics here. These are the two spots that rust first.

Ask him to open the doors (if allowed?) and check to see if the Torsion bars are intact (Long silver round bar running from front to back just under the door hinges. If the torsion bars are broken, those are big big $$$ but more than likely the struts are just weak (shock absorber looking things attached to the rear of the doors).

Pics of the engine help of course. Pics of the interior too are always nice.

When I got my car out of it's 25 years sleep I spent 4 days taking pics and loading them up here for advice (it was a family car so I wasn't racing against another buyer, I had time). The advice I got here was priceless.

Doogie

Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    If you can still get to your friend today before he snaps pics, have him take LOTS of pics under the car. Doogie
    I told him the pics under the car are most important and to take as many as he's able.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topcop66 View Post
    You may also want to purchase a copy of James Espey's book..."The Illustrated Buyers Guide to Deloreans".
    I read the .pdf sample last night and ordered the book today...looks like a valuable resource.

My little rant wasn't wholly directed at you - sorry if I came off like an ass.
    I don't take it that way....fire away -lol! It's all constructive and I've learned a boatload in the past two days, thanks!

Best of luck and have fun checking this car out!
    Thanks man!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 11-22-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast