FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RediRad - AUX input for Craig Radio

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    05457

RediRad - AUX input for Craig Radio

Has anyone tried a RediRad or a device like it on your Craig? The idea is that it plugs into your FM antenna input on the back of the radio, supposedly allowing clear audio. It is still an FM signal rather than true AUX input, but doesn't require modifications to the radio at all.

I'm (very) slowly upgrading my stereo system and this seems like it might be a good alternative to shipping my radio somewhere to have it modified. I'm sure it isn't as clear as a true AUX mod, but curious if this setup works as well as they claim.

David Proehl

Looks like there are a couple products like this, here is one that is about 1/3 the price at $34:

David Proehl

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The DMC labeled version is not available any more but there are zillion others out there. http://store.delorean.com/p-10466-dm...ansmitter.aspx

It just plugs into the cigar lighter, connects to your phone/ipod other mp3 player etc. and broadcast the signal on FM. Not quite as elegant as a wire-in, but typically very inexpensive.

google "fm modulator"
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Yes, I am using one of the wireless ones now, but have a lot of static at times. I'm hoping that something wired in like this would be clearer.
    David Proehl

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Yes, I am using one of the wireless ones now, but have a lot of static at times. I'm hoping that something wired in like this would be clearer.
    Since you'd be unplugging the antenna, I'd guess there would be less static. As long as there are competing local signals of varying strength, there might still be some interference. My recollection is having to adjust signal bandwidth constantly to find the clearest station.

But hey, give it a try! for $30?!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

I'd rather install this somewhere hidden.

A fellow member has done a GREAT job hiding it in the ashtray...if you're not smoking!
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Plus a sd memory card!!! Much handier in loading music.

David is right! I would avoid any FM linking. The noise may be difficult to avoid.

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos etc
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Post Regarding the RediRad...

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Has anyone tried a RediRad or a device like it on your Craig? The idea is that it plugs into your FM antenna input on the back of the radio, supposedly allowing clear audio. It is still an FM signal rather than true AUX input, but doesn't require modifications to the radio at all.

I'm (very) slowly upgrading my stereo system and this seems like it might be a good alternative to shipping my radio somewhere to have it modified. I'm sure it isn't as clear as a true AUX mod, but curious if this setup works as well as they claim.

Hello, David & the group:

Although I am a Pontiac collector, I "lurk" around a lot of car forums and saw your post. I am the inventor of the RediRad and if I may, I would like to chime in on the options on the market. For AM-FM radios, there are several 'modulators' on the market and you guys have captured the popular ones out there.

As captured above, the 'wireless' modulators are just a waste of money and the aggravation you will feel from poor performance (sound quality) will be apparent almost immediately. On to 'direct-connected' modulators...

While the RediRad-FM @ $99 is on the high-end of the price spectrum, there is much more value vs. the cheap alternatives. First off, the RediRad-FM is American-made at a small business and we take customer SATISFACTION seriously. Second, and UNlike the Scoche FM modulator, RediRads have automatic detection from your external source; there is no external on-off switch (therefore no holes to drill) which means neither the casual observer (nor car show judge) can tell that you have an AUX-input on a stock audio system. Third, unlike a radio 'conversion', vehicle originality (and therefore value) is maximized when you use the RediRad-FM because it does not invade the car or its radio. If you sell the car, you can keep your RediRad-FM for the next one. Fourth, the RediRad-FM has a no-hassle, money-back guarantee: Try it for a couple of months. If you decide it's not your cup of tea, send it back. I could go on but the probably the best reason to consider a RediRad-FM is that you can call and talk with me (the inventor, who is both a rabid car-guy and a radio/antenna engineer) if you have technical questions.

I suppose a potential down-side to the RediRad is that the stereo input cable is 3.5mm (1/8") and a few devices out there (some smart phones, for example) use the 2.5mm connector so you would need a 2.5 to 3.5 adapter (runs around $10 on Amazon). The Rediad is also not USB-direct capable. The reason is that very few portable devices have a USB plug but nearly all portable devices have a headphone jack.

Anyway, thanks for letting me introduce both myself and the RediRad-FM from Brew City Engineering.

If you have questions, feel free to post them here or call me. My office hours are 8 - 4 central time.

Respectfully,
    ~Matt Planning
    262 646 3363

My VIN:    6125

When I first got my DeLorean I was using a wireless FM transmitter with my iPod and was pretty discouraged with how bad the sound quality was. I always seemed to get static that would come and go. The RediRad sounds like a much better alternative. I like auto sensing feature so you don't have to try and hide a switch somewhere. I'll be adding this to my christmas list for this year

Any additional questions?

Hey folks, this is Matt, inventor of the RediRad.

I am bringing this old thread back up because I want to thank everyone's patronage over the years.

In the time since this thread was originally posted, we at RediRad have sincerely listened to our customers, and have made product improvements while keeping it American-made and not raising the retail price. More about us at http://redirad.com ... thanks again for supporting an American small business.

Any RediRad questions, feel free to ask me. Either reply here or contact me thru the RediRad site.

All the best to you!
    Attached Images
    respectfully,
    Matt Planning
    RediRad Inventor

We are SUPER excited to announce an all-new RediRad website - please check it out: http://RediRad.com

...gotta getta RediRad!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast