FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blower Motor Upgrades?

My VIN:    10694

Blower Motor Upgrades?

I searched the archives but haven't found anything recent.
    My blower motor is squealing more and more, and I figure if I'm going to replace it, I sure would like for it to move MORE air.
    Any suggestions on a faster or bigger motor that would fit?
    Thanks!
    Oliver

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The OEM motor moves enough air and the replacements will too. If you are not moving enough air there are several things to check.
    Is the motor running in the correct direction?
    Is the fan loose on the shaft?
    Are the doors and actuators working or is the mode switch hissing and hard to turn?
    Is the ductwork inside the doors connected and not leaking?
    Is the boot that connects the center vents installed correctly?
    Do all of the speeds work?
    Is the air box and coils clean? You can check that when you remove the fan motor.
    When the fan motor is squealing the bearings are worn out and the motor will not go fast enough anymore.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5879

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Holler View Post
    I searched the archives but haven't found anything recent.
    My blower motor is squealing more and more, and I figure if I'm going to replace it, I sure would like for it to move MORE air.
    Any suggestions on a faster or bigger motor that would fit?
    Thanks!
    Oliver
    +1. I'm in exactly the same boat and was thinking that, like the cooling fan upgrades, there have to be better options now than there were when the car was made. I do suspect that my blower system is working fine besides the squeaky bearings, but nevertheless want more power!

Blow vs. Blast!

Thank you David. All factors and valid points. Enough air is good, I guess. I was just hoping to do to my air, what some have done to their engines! Really make it blast like a rocket! I thought about a motor rated for lower volts, which would make it spin faster.
    I've got a '95 Chevy truck that blows like a hurricane. Of course, it's a different animal, but I sure wish I could fit that in the D.
    I appreciate that you shared your thoughts and insight.
    O.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

squeaky motor

I had a blower motor start making noise, hmm bad bearing? Took the fan out and oiled up the bearing closest to the cage but couldn't reach the end bearing. So I drilled a tiny hole in the end cap, oiled it and siliconed the hole. Going strong twelve years now.

Paul Cerny #2691
    Kalispell, MT

My VIN:    03572

I have thought about a better blower motor. You would need a motor that is more efficient or you will probably need to do some wiring changes. My stock blower motor draws about 22 amps on speed 4.

I think the only thing you would gain is a quicker cool down if your car has been sitting in the sun. IR window tint is probably the better option.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have thought about a better blower motor. You would need a motor that is more efficient or you will probably need to do some wiring changes. My stock blower motor draws about 22 amps on speed 4.

I think the only thing you would gain is a quicker cool down if your car has been sitting in the sun. IR window tint is probably the better option.

I don't think the problem is the volume of air. The problem I have is that you just can't point the vents directly onto you. Neither the center vents or the ones in the doors will aim directly at you. That's why you don't feel the air so much.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I have thought about a better blower motor...

I think the only thing you would gain is a quicker cool down if your car has been sitting in the sun. .
    Assuming there was enough extra capacity in the system. All things being equal, blowing a greater volume of air at a higher rate of speed through the same evaporator will just get you a higher volume of warmer air.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Everyone talks about the blower motor turning in the "correct" direction, but I can't find specifically what that direction is!
    Looking at the shaft, (the part the blades attach to) my old one turns in a counter-clockwise direction. The new motor does too.
    But I'm getting more air blowing out the intake vents outside beneath the windshield, than out the side hole in the door.
    Seems like the wrong direction to me...
    Can anyone verify the 'Right' or 'Correct' direction a blower motor should turn?
    Thanks,
    Oliver

ever looked in to the doors how the air channles are made ?
    the gaps ?
    and under the dasboard ?
    the long hoses ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast