FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Preparing to sell in the spring...1981 5spd, 18k miles, $22k range

My VIN:    6272

Preparing to sell in the spring...1981 5spd, 18k miles, $22k range

VIN #6272.

This post is just to put out some feelers to gauge interest. I have owned my Delorean for a couple years now and have had tons of fun with it. My wife has been a tremendously good sport in allowing me to own my dream car, but we are now talking about starting a family so that means the D's days are now numbered in my garage, ha.

So right now I am not quite ready to sell, but by early spring I probably will list the car on Ebay/Hemmings/etc. However since I have enjoyed this message board community so much the past few years, I figured I'd throw it to all of you first.

I have a 1981 5-spd with about 18,000 on the odometer. The car is in great shape, it runs and drives just fine. Engine starts up and idles smoothly, tranny shifts well and doesn't slip. The body is in very good condition, all of the panels are unblemished aside from a small ding in the rear passenger wheel well. The front fascia has slightly raised eyebrows but that's becoming more and more common with these cars. Interior is solid, seats have no holes or tears. The dashboard has some cracks but I have a a grey dashmat on top of it. Here is what I have done with the car since purchasing it:

-New TABs
    -Updated AC system (blows cold R134a)
    -Replaced the entire fuse/relay system
    -New oil pressure sending unit
    -New otterstat
    -Replaced the old rubber cooling hoses
    -New front tie rod ends
    -Replaced fuel pump lines
    -Installed new shift linkage bushings
    -Newer belts
    -Various other odds & ends

There are a couple things that keep this from being a perfect car, which I have listed below:

-The aforementioned panel ding and raised fascia eyebrows
    -Cracks on dashboard
    -Squeaky driver side lower control arm/anti-roll bar bushing. Probably needs new LCAs.
    -Small oil leak, traced to driver side valve cover. Might have 2-3 drops after a 20 minute drive, but that's about it.
    -Power windows are currently inoperable. The PO did a hack job and put custom window switches in that didn't work, so I purchased new DMC switches and a passenger side window motor unit but haven't installed them. Driver's side motor works but needs to be rewired.

I'm looking to sell the car around $22,000 in the condition that it's currently in. I would like to at least get the LCA and power window issue taken care of by spring, which at that point I will likely raise the asking price accordingly. If you are interested please let me know- I live in the Cleveland area and will probably winterize the car in the next week or so. I will try to get some more pics of the car up...for now here is one from earlier this year. I also have a link to a short film that I shot featuring the car. It shows up around 2:40 into the video.

http://youtu.be/sXeeqkft3jM

Here is an earlier thread with a few behind-the-scenes photos with the Delorean in it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?78...818#post115818
    Attached Images
    Last edited by eldusto84; 12-09-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldusto84 View Post
    VIN #6272.

This post is just to put out some feelers to gauge interest. I have owned my Delorean for a couple years now and have had tons of fun with it. My wife has been a tremendously good sport in allowing me to own my dream car, but we are now talking about starting a family so that means the D's days are now numbered in my garage, ha.

So right now I am not quite ready to sell, but by early spring I probably will list the car on Ebay/Hemmings/etc. However since I have enjoyed this message board community so much the past few years, I figured I'd throw it to all of you first.

I have a 1981 5-spd with about 18,000 on the odometer. The car is in great shape, it runs and drives just fine. Engine starts up and idles smoothly, tranny shifts well and doesn't slip. The body is in very good condition, all of the panels are unblemished aside from a small ding in the rear passenger wheel well. The front fascia has slightly raised eyebrows but that's becoming more and more common with these cars. Interior is solid, seats have no holes or tears. The dashboard has some cracks but I have a a grey dashmat on top of it. Here is what I have done with the car since purchasing it:

-New TABs
    -Updated AC system (blows cold R134a)
    -Replaced the entire fuse/relay system
    -New oil pressure sending unit
    -New otterstat
    -Replaced the old rubber cooling hoses
    -New front tie rod ends
    -Replaced fuel pump lines
    -Installed new shift linkage bushings
    -Newer belts
    -Various other odds & ends

There are a couple things that keep this from being a perfect car, which I have listed below:

-The aforementioned panel ding and raised fascia eyebrows
    -Cracks on dashboard
    -Squeaky driver side lower control arm/anti-roll bar bushing. Probably needs new LCAs.
    -Small oil leak, traced to driver side valve cover. Might have 2-3 drops after a 20 minute drive, but that's about it.
    -Power windows are currently inoperable. The PO did a hack job and put custom window switches in that didn't work, so I purchased new DMC switches and a passenger side window motor unit but haven't installed them. Driver's side motor works but needs to be rewired.

I'm looking to sell the car around $22,000 in the condition that it's currently in. I would like to at least get the LCA and power window issue taken care of by spring, which at that point I will likely raise the asking price accordingly. If you are interested please let me know- I live in the Cleveland area and will probably winterize the car in the next week or so. I will try to get some more pics of the car up...for now here is one from earlier this year. I also have a link to a short film that I shot featuring the car. It shows up around 2:40 into the video.

http://youtu.be/sXeeqkft3jM

Here is an earlier thread with a few behind-the-scenes photos with the Delorean in it.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?78...818#post115818
    You should post on the general section, so people can replay freely!

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you don't sell it before DCS I'd take it there. There will be a whole bunch of DeLorean enthusiasts attending.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

Ok here are some more pictures. It's about 20 degrees and snowing right now so I didn't want to pull it outside! I will also throw this in the general discussion as you suggested, Levy. Thanks.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

funny, was just about to come on here and post id be interested, figured id finished checking ebay first. Thought I recognize this car lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gfrank View Post
    funny, was just about to come on here and post id be interested, figured id finished checking ebay first. Thought I recognize this car lol
    Yeah I decided to put in on Ebay just for the heck of it. I realized that whether I sell the car now or in early spring, it makes no difference to me since I probably won't have much chance to drive it with the weather here. If you have any questions about the car, fire away.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by eldusto84 View Post
    If you have any questions about the car, fire away.
    Thanks for the photos.

Do you happen to know what's inside the black cable-jacket that snakes over the coolant tank and under the heat pipe ending up beneath the throttle spool area?