FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I've done some research on TAB's

Club(s):   (DMA)

I've done some research on TAB's

I haven't done a TAB job yet but I've read many of the posts and I need to do my car. I have two sources for a bolt.

I found a M12x130mm, grade 12.9, socket head , 36mm thread length, 1.75 pitch. Zinc Plated. The length of 130mm is NOT including the head, so overall length is about 137m I'm guessing. According to some engineering websites, 12.9 is about the same strength as Inconel 715, as used in Toby TABS if I understand correctly. It has a proof strength of 176Ksi (140,000 psi) and a tensile strength of 176Ksi (176,000 psi) Grade 12.9 is about 10-15% stronger than the 10.9 of the original TABs. The supplier tells me they are zinc plated and then baked to prevent hydrogen embrittlement, thus maintaining rated strength. The best part about this is the price. I can buy a box of 50 for about $130 delivered from South Carolina. All I did was make a few phone calls, It wasn't that difficult, am I missing something here? I realize it's a socket head, but there is enough room on the head side is there not? I don't know what the material of washer part #:SP10868 is, but I would source a good 10.9 washer since the socket head is a little smaller than a hex head so the stress on the washer may be a little higher.

I am also waiting for a quote on 50 pcs of an Inconel 715 bolt, same dimensions, but with a hex head. As I understand, Inconel 715 is a little stronger than 12.9, and has superior corrosion resistance. These parts are made to order, and will cost about $200 EACH ! maybe a little cheaper at the 50 qty. My apologies to Toby P. I'm not trying to steal your thunder, I know you did a lot of research on your TABs. I'm just trying to source my own set and this is what I came up with. The only problem is the 50 piece quantity, that's $10,000 worth of bolts. If one of our vendors would like to make the investment, I'm happy to give them the source info. All I would want out of this is two bolts at whatever the cost turns out to be.

I'm new to this DMC forum, and if I've missed some subtle point about these bolts, someone feel free to set me straight. Considering the low price of the socket head bolts, I'm inclined to go with them. But the slick setup would be the Inconel bolts with a hex head for an OEM look, and few would ever notice the difference. Anybody who wants a pair of the 50 socket head bolts I need to buy can have them for $6/pair plus shipping (about $8 ) I'm guessing. Any interest out there?
    Best Regards,
    Mike D.
    Last edited by mike3112; 12-10-2013 at 10:27 AM.

My VIN:    6125

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've done some good research so far but you seem to have hit a wall in regards to minimum order quantities. If you're not looking to going into the TAB business as a side project you may be better off looking to one of the vendors who already sells 12.9 bolts in the correct size.

I believe DMCH and affiliates have 12.9 strength bolts that they offer... This is what they have listed on the web page:
    http://store.delorean.com/p-7390-bolt-m12.aspx
    If you call them up you should be able to get more specs on the bolts. I usually go to Dave S. at DMCMW since they are local and have awesome customer service.

John Hervey also sells cad plated 12.9 socket head bolts here: (scroll half way down the page)
    http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...uspension.html

Otherwise if you search around on the forum I think there are people who have been able to just buy two bolts from Fastenal or other large hardware vendors.

Inconel would be a great option as well but as you already said thats a 10k investment at the minimum buy quantities you listed..... My guess is that you'd be sitting on inventory for a long, long time. I think the perceived demand for TABs is a lot higher than the actual demand. If I remember correctly even Toby P. had some difficulties selling of the first batch of "Toby Tabs" back when they were first created.

I don't mean to discourage you from sourcing your own bolts, but rather inform you of the other options that are out there that you may not be aware of. It's also still possible to find a set of Toby TABs if you're looking for Inconel, although the price has risen a lot in the past several years as they become harder to find.

I'll call them Z-TAB's

thanks for the quick response Mark. DMCH and the other appear to have only the 10.9 variety. It looks like John Hervey has the same socket heads that I found, so it looks like I reinvented the screw again. However... I did just hear back from the other supplier regarding the Inconel 718 bolts (not 715 as I stated earlier) Let me repeat the specs, m12x130(not including the head) , 1.75pitch, 40mm thread length, Inconel 718, with an 18mm hex head I can get these for $25 each with a 50 piece minimum. At this price, who would want to use anything else, for a part that is all but indistinguishable from the oem part, with a strength rating slightly better than 12.9, and superior corrosion resistance?
    Any interest out there? I'll call them Z-TAB 's since I'll be selling them from the shameless commerce division of my Ziebart business in Fairfax, VA. I can even take credit cards.

regards,
    Mike

My VIN:    03572

At those prices (did you add any profit) I think you would easily unload them. I will be your first customer.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Z-TAB s

I tacked on about $5 for my trouble, WOO HOO ! Packaging and shipping will add another $15-20. I'm not looking to make money here, just fill a need. Thanks Dave.
    Mike

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Inconel would be nice, I'd love to see another batch of this TAB.
    Unfortunately, the total cost seems very expensive.
    Anyway, at $200 the two bolt, I would buy you a set either.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Must be Trailing Arm Bolt day!

We'll be selling these I718 Trailing Arm Bolts as of tomorrow at DMC Midwest. We've had a small batch made of Inconel 718, they will come with the nuts. Pricing not yet finalized but will be similar to legacy pricing. We'll announce in a new thread.

inconel_DMCMW.jpg
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Same as the TobyTab?

Z-TABs

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    Inconel would be nice, I'd love to see another batch of this TAB.
    Unfortunately, the total cost seems very expensive.
    Anyway, at $200 the two bolt, I would buy you a set either.
    yeah at $200 each they ARE pricey, but at $25 each they're a bargain! Heck, buy a pair just to have on hand. If I can get at least ten people to ante up, then I"ll pull the pin and order them.
    Last edited by mike3112; 12-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mike3112 View Post
    I tacked on about $5 for my trouble, WOO HOO ! Packaging and shipping will add another $15-20. I'm not looking to make money here, just fill a need. Thanks Dave.
    Mike
    Just FYI, the 12.9 grade bolts aren't that hard to get ahold of. Last year I walked into a Fastenal location, they ordered me 2, arrived at the store the next day, and I picked them up. It was roughly $5 per bolt. You can also order them online. I just really don't think there's any money to be made in steel trailing arm bolts. Best of luck anyway.

Dave, when can we all place our orders?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast