FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Removing Seat Tilt Lever !

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Help Removing Seat Tilt Lever !

Hi all, I'm recovering my seats as we speak. I'm at the point of removing the plastic seat tilt lever , and I'm stuck as so how this comes out.

I removed the two little screws that hold the plastic frame in place, and now what? I'm afraid to pry it out and break it. It's not like it's loose for it to just fall out; it still feels attached in some way.

Thanks for your help,

Randy
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

Never mind...I got the little bugger loose and off. Thanks..on to more fun. If anyone has any tips in general feel free to share, would appreciate it!
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

My VIN:    4534

The area around the headrest is a real pain. I used long zipties instead of the hog rings and they've held up very well.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    6883, 6146-Acura Powered, Formerly 10310 and 628

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

If you put a plastic shopping bag over the headrest, the covers will slide right over. No need to remove the bag. +1 on tie wraps.
    Tom

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by tommyrich View Post
    If you put a plastic shopping bag over the headrest, the covers will slide right over. No need to remove the bag. +1 on tie wraps.
    Tom
    If you can, leave the new seatcovers out in the sun on a hot driveway to soften the leather and vinyl before trying to stretch it on the seats. Get a hog ring plier and a bag of rings. If the seat tracks are rusty now is a good time to clean them up, paint and lubricate them so they look nice and move easily. If the rubber seat bottom is torn/ripped it should be fixed or replaced so the seat will support you properly.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks guys! Just finished last night at 3am. Overall took me 1 day to remove and prep, 1 day to put on. This has got to be one of the most pain in the butt jobs I have ever done. Considering it was my first ever attempt at this, I am pleased overall, and cant ask for perfection. I was up for the challenge.

However , I do have to say the fitment did not seem 100%. I'd say more like 90%. The headrest portion could not stretch down to the metal bars to attach hog rings....and even after I ensured that all sides were being stretched evenly. I don't know...maybe I needed super hands to pull it, but I said screw it, my hands feel like they went through torture. So yes I used zip ties to fill that extra inch gap i needed.

I also noticed a few wrinkles left at the sides of the base of the headrest. Could not get them out no matter what I stretched. Dmch covers.

Oh well, much better than before anyways. Glad it's over and now I can sit and relax on my new seats!

Randy2013-12-16 02.11.17-1.jpg

My VIN:    10722

I just did mine with DMCH skins and had the same issues with the leather not fitting nicely at the base of the headrest no matter how you stretched it. I followed the instructions in my old Gullwing magazine issue, which were excellent except for the part about the seat tilt lever. I cut the notch for this piece in the front just as instructed, but when finished I think the cut should have been BEHIND the lever, not in front because the cut material shows just a little even with the plastic bezel installed. Real bummer...

Andy

My VIN:    3004

Usually my hands are just dead for a few days after I've done a set. The seats should match to their backings though. It requires a bit more heat and stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    I just did mine with DMCH skins and had the same issues with the leather not fitting nicely at the base of the headrest no matter how you stretched it. I followed the instructions in my old Gullwing magazine issue, which were excellent except for the part about the seat tilt lever. I cut the notch for this piece in the front just as instructed, but when finished I think the cut should have been BEHIND the lever, not in front because the cut material shows just a little even with the plastic bezel installed. Real bummer...

Andy
    Yes, that is a bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. The lever section is very tricky. I noticed that almost happened to me on the first seat. The reason being is that the lever has to be dead center before the cut, or else when the cut is made and the lever goes through, it will position itself in the position of least resistance, and you will see an unwanted gap that perhaps may not be covered by the plastic frame.

You could probably mitigate that by cutting an extension to the plastic frame all around, extending the borders, so that it will cover the unwanted cut. Being creative using a material that would blend in with the black plastic. Doing it to both seats so it looks like it's oem.

-Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeli View Post
    Usually my hands are just dead for a few days after I've done a set. The seats should match to their backings though. It requires a bit more heat and stretching.
    True , I should have applied some heat to it, like with a hair dryer? Will it do anything if I tried it now with the covers on you think? I mean it's not awful, just a little crease , but to the trained eye it is noticeable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast