FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Just saw that Falken has a $50 rebate on the ZIEX ZE-912's and Tire Rack has $25 off

My VIN:    891, 1045

Just saw that Falken has a $50 rebate on the ZIEX ZE-912's and Tire Rack has $25 off

I'm looking for a set of tires and I put these same tires on 16336 and they were fine as far as I remember. Tire Rack has $25 off an order over $150 and Falken has a $50 gift card rebate on a purchase of 4 tires. The deal is only good on 3 models, but the 912's are one of them.

THIS REBATE ENDS 12/31 so if you're thinking about getting tires you have about a week. I think I'll order them and put them in the garage for right now. Just passing the word!
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Tire Rack doesn't carry Falken tires. Also, the Ziex ZE-912 are an all season model that's made in Thailand, if that means anything to you.

If you're going 225 on the rear, then I highly recommend the Vredestein Sport Trac 5. They are designed by Giugiaro (same man that designed the DeLorean), made in the Netherlands, rate higher than the Ziex ZE-912, and are a true UHP (ultra high performance) summer tire as opposed to an all season tire. I run them on my DeLorean and couldn't be happier with them.

You can get a set for $562 shipped from here:

http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-11064-vr...c-5-tires.aspx

For more info, check out the tire thread:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?72...ronts%29-Tires

I considered them briefly, but for under $300 shipped to my door for the Falkens plus a $50 gift card rebate that's less than half the cost of the Giugiaros. If they had the correct size tires I'd give them more consideration. The DeLorean is quite far from an Ultra High Performance car so I'm not worried about needing anything over an S or T rated tire. My biggest concerns are for an A rating for traction and temperature. I'm currently running Achilles tires on my CTS-V which are made in Thailand and they're performing great. My first set of Falkens were fine and the next owner didn't have a problem with them either. They also have a 480 treadwear rating and 65,000 mile warranty vs a 300 rating for the Vredesteins.

I actually commented in that thread several times this summer and have been checking into options ever since.

Banned

Thailand is almost worse than China as far as unfair competition goes. Lax to non-existent: environmental regulation, worker protections, taxation, etc. US trade deficit with Thailand is currently at $12B annually.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c5490.html

Netherlands standards are similar to those here in the US. US trade surplus with the Netherlands is currently at $20B annually.

http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/balance/c4210.html

Just a friendly FYI.

I don't see Thailand raising an army and making direct threats on our safety so as far as I'm concerned they're better than China. My next tire choice would be the Fuzions if I can find the U.S. made version. Vredestein just isn't pricing their tires competitively enough, and for their specs they're overpriced in my opinion. The Fuzions carry a 400 treadwear rating and a 40,000 mile warranty for only $280.02 shipped, also less than half the price of the Vredesteins.

My VIN:    05287

Not caring as much as some about the political side of things and more caring about a matching set (selfish only child syndrome here) front & rear I have a set of the ZIEX ZE-912 and they have been plenty for the car so far. If I ever get the island twins on it, well then we will see, I bet they will be plenty then too hah, as you said not so much a performance car as I would hope it to be...

I always try and support the 'greener' and 'better for this or that' reasons if I can, but i can't stand mismatched tires, and since this car's not making huge HP, that was the most economical choice.

Banned

Thailand has allowed China to use it as an intermediary to skirt around several trade agreements.

The Fuzions would be an excellent choice, however, I've yet to actually see a set of the US made variants and every time I've inquired about them, they only seem to have the Chinese made variants available.

If the Cooper CS4 Touring was a better tire than what it is, I would have gone that route myself, but unfortunately, it's a mediocre tire at best.

If price is a factor, then you might find the South Korean made Nexens or Hankooks to be viable alternatives. South Korea is better than Thailand.

Nexen CP641 - 400 tread wear rating, 55,000 mi warranty
    Nexen N5000 - 420 tread wear rating, 60,000 mi warranty

Hankook Optimo H418 - 440 tread wear rating, warranty based on actual wear not mileage
    Last edited by NightFlyer; 12-23-2013 at 05:21 PM.

My VIN:    03037

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    I'm looking for a set of tires and I put these same tires on 16336 and they were fine as far as I remember. Tire Rack has $25 off an order over $150 and Falken has a $50 gift card rebate on a purchase of 4 tires. The deal is only good on 3 models, but the 912's are one of them.

THIS REBATE ENDS 12/31 so if you're thinking about getting tires you have about a week. I think I'll order them and put them in the garage for right now. Just passing the word!
    Eagle, Thanks for the fyi. Do you have the link/URL, and specs, etc? They the same tread design for all four? Thx, B

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    Eagle, Thanks for the fyi. Do you have the link/URL, and specs, etc? They the same tread design for all four? Thx, B
    Stepping in to supply the URL. From there you can find the red Sizes/Specs button:

http://falkentire.com/tires/car-tires/ziex-ze-912

Look at the bottom half of the specs chart, the 480-A-A rating section and NOT the 360-AA-A listings at the top, to see the specs for the sizes in question.

The tread patterns match F/R.
    Last edited by Rich; 12-23-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Rich, thanks for the link. I was just going to provide this link (where they can be ordered): http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=15&cs=225

I tried to correct my first post where I said Tire Rack but it's too late to do that now. It should have said Discount Tires Direct (Tires.com) as I tend to use the two names interchangeably by mistake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast