FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is the future of electric cars...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

This is the future of electric cars...

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/...ntcmp=HPBucket

Finally, someone that has figured out that a rotating wheel can be altered to be the actual motor..... keeping everything clean will be one issue as will the additional unsprung weight being tough on the handling. The simplicity that this brings to electric cars however is a good thing and should lead to easier retrofits. And the HP is impressive.

Keep you eye on this....
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03572

I love the idea. You can even get all four wheels to drive if needed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

This in-wheel electric motor technology is an unbelievably good idea. Weight reduction is important for any car, but more so for electric ones. There would be other benifits too, like traction control, and all-wheel drive. And I didn't read this in the article, but I believe this idea could be capitalized on, by incorporating reduced weight re-genrative bakes somewhere in the electric-drive as well.

If this technology is only a few years from production, I would wait until then before giving up my carbon fuel powered cars for electric.

Thomas

My VIN:    5186

Looks great, just stay away from water that can reach the rotor.

My VIN:    891, 1045

I think this would be great for trucks and vehicles with mediocre handling, but all that unsprung weight will really mess with a normal to performance level cars abilities. I like where the thinking is going, to be able to adapt any car to a hybrid. I'd love to have a few hundred extra lb-ft of torque at each wheel for launches!
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

This is not new technology, been working on those motors for over 10 years but, on different vehicles.

It might be new on passenger cars.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

My employer donated NC router machine time to a group of Collage Students from the University of Minnesota to fabricate mold plug for the body of a A Solar car they were building. They brought the completed car to my work this past fall to show it off and explain the technology that went into it. IIRC it used a version of Protean In-wheel motors also. I don't remember if they used just 2 rear drivers or all 4.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    5186

I believe this technology is already in use on some electric wheelchairs. The wheels are detachable and are really power assist wheels for a wheelchair.

Club(s):   (DMA)

it's like deja vu all over again (Yogi Berra, or was it Yogi Bear?)

Ferdinand Porsche introduced this 110 YEARS AGO in a car he called Semper Vivus. And it was a hybrid to boot. He also put it in a race car as well.

As far as weight in the wheel goes, It's not the absolute weight of the wheel that affects handling, it's the RATIO of sprung to unsprung weight that matters. Since you'd have to be hauling around 1000 lbs of batteries more or less, adding say, an extra 20-50 lbs to each wheel may not be that detrimental. It's never going to be as nimble as say a Delorean (heehee) , but it may not be all that bad.

IMHO, the whole wheel weight issue goes away when your road is smooth at least. For example, my escalade takes turns like it's on rails (fat tires help) , as long as the pavement is perfectly smooth. Hit a bump, or a pothole repair and it handles, well, like an Escalade.

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by LEVY View Post
    This is not new technology, been working on those motors for over 10 years but, on different vehicles.

It might be new on passenger cars.

LEVY
    Yeah, we did this on an EV project at upenn.edu ~ 15 years ago and it wasn't a new idea then.

-Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast