FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time for a rebuilt Fuel Distributor?

Time for a rebuilt Fuel Distributor?

It seems that I'm having a few different issues relating to my fuel system all revolving around the distributor. Most recently the plunger seems to get stuck every couple of weeks. It comes out easily when I take the FD off, it just seems to stick when I put it back together. I've tried every suggestion mentioned to clean it, and I know for certain I haven't dropped or scratched it... Is it normal to stick in cold weather?

I'm leaning towards getting a rebuilt one, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other last suggestions?

Chuck

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by virtualchuck View Post
    It seems that I'm having a few different issues relating to my fuel system all revolving around the distributor. Most recently the plunger seems to get stuck every couple of weeks. It comes out easily when I take the FD off, it just seems to stick when I put it back together. I've tried every suggestion mentioned to clean it, and I know for certain I haven't dropped or scratched it... Is it normal to stick in cold weather?

I'm leaning towards getting a rebuilt one, I'm just wondering if anyone has any other last suggestions?

Chuck
    You must have some dirt or a burr somewhere. Get a flashlight and examine the bore carefully for any discoloration and clean it up. Use some crocus cloth and polish the plunger.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You must have some dirt or a burr somewhere. Get a flashlight and examine the bore carefully for any discoloration and clean it up. Use some crocus cloth and polish the plunger.
    I'm not familiar with crocus cloth, but it appears to be about an 800 grit polishing cloth? I'll give it a try, thanks!

Chuck

Banned

My VIN:    1798

You could also try rebuilding it yourself.

DPI now carries the rebuild kits, or you can source one from eBay seller cis-jetronic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-DMC...item2a35adc319

Here's a link to a most excellent step-by-step how-to courtesy of the Porsche 928 guys:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/down...CISRebuild.pdf

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Have you ever done one, or more?
    Have heard that once you open that up, it is impossible to reseal it.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post

DPI now carries the rebuild kits, or you can source one from eBay seller cis-jetronic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Delorean-DMC...item2a35adc319

Here's a link to a most excellent step-by-step how-to courtesy of the Porsche 928 guys:

http://www.porsche928forums.com/down...CISRebuild.pdf
    I did see that kit and I'm tempted to try it... but to be honest, I am completely TERRIFIED of a fuel leak leading to a fire in the engine compartment. I would feel much more comfortable leaving that to a professional...

Chuck

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Have you ever done one, or more?
    Have heard that once you open that up, it is impossible to reseal it.
    If someone else can get it resealed, then why can't you or I?

I've yet to rebuild one myself, however, I do have a used FD that needs to be rebuilt and will attempt to do so once I find the time to do it....

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Well that is just it! I gave read and heard from several sources that resealing this successfully is as common as being the first winner in a bingo room. After skills it is pure luck.

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos etc
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXAKOS View Post
    Well that is just it! I gave read and heard from several sources that resealing this successfully is as common as being the first winner in a bingo room. After skills it is pure luck.

Sent from a mobile device. Please excuse typos etc
    You do not have to take the fuel distributor apart. You can separate it from the mixture unit if necessary. If you can't find crocus cloth get some 2000 sandpaper. Before sanding try some Brakeclean to clean up any residue of old, sticky gas or Acetone.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    05287

I sent mine out to one of those eBay rebuild places, long story short they took 2 months to get it back to me and it leaked!

I then took it apart myself cleaned it up again, found a ripped o-ring, replaced it and revealed it myself. Almost two years now and it's not leaking and working perfect. Others gave you the rebuild PDF .. I took some pictures when I tore mine apart, just take your time. Have a clean place to lay it all out and put it all back where you found it...

Or pay a trustworthy source for one!

Last post...
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?t=481

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast