FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: #5096 restoration

My VIN:    3299

Very nice stuff, Samuel. Man, it sounded really good as it first pulled away from you in the parking lot. Eddie sure knows how to make these cars sound good! You'll love the finished product !
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Wow that sounds awesome!! Nice work! Just be sure to go a little easy on that clutch for the first hundred miles or so to burnish the clutch without glazing it

My VIN:    5096

Well, 5096 is back in my garage. I debated about continuing this thread or just creating a new one. I'll continue for now unless someone complains being I'm no logger "modding" per se but restoring more now.

Anyways, Got the dash out tonight and have the new one ready to go in. I also have the lovely fiberglass binnacle (thank you stevie67cars!) along with new fiberglass a-pillar trims. Pics are below. My next step is to remove the a-pillars as mine are warped. At least mine were done before they started gluing them under the window so they should come out fairly easy, I just need to borrow a heat gun to loosen the glue around the door portion.

Dash removed
    Old dash vs new dash
    Fiberglass A-Trims
    Old Binnacle vs Fiberglass Binnacle (old isn't angled due to not removing the mounting hardware so sizes look off)

I do have a question, any recommendations for the center console? A previous owner thought it was a smart idea to pain the rear of it silver and to put a big hole in the driver side of it in an attempt to hold it with a screw (failed on that).

Painted center console
    Hole in center console

nice works! can you take a picture of the dash and binnacle togheter? just to see the color match..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    nice works! can you take a picture of the dash and binnacle togheter? just to see the color match..
    From a distance
    Close up

They are close. I've noticed on other cars that the binnacle itself is slightly off from the dash. Mine also has a bit of a shine to it vs the plastic dash so I'm not worried about it. If it bothers me enough then I'll dye them both with the dye I'm going to use on the vinyl.

I now have the A pillar trims removed. A heat gun on low constantly moving and an angled pick work well to scrape under the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    From a distance
    Close up

They are close. I've noticed on other cars that the binnacle itself is slightly off from the dash. Mine also has a bit of a shine to it vs the plastic dash so I'm not worried about it. If it bothers me enough then I'll dye them both with the dye I'm going to use on the vinyl.
    thanks, very useful!

any news about your turbo set up?
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

It's done, what do you want to know about it? I believe I put a video up somewhere.

We are currently at a 5lb spring but we are going to up it to 7lb. It drives great but the clutch is still breaking in so it grips much faster than I'm accustom to. As you can see I can't drive this very minute, no AC in Florida sucks, but AC will go in as soon as my dash goes back in which occurs after the A pillar trims.

I've not put it on a dyno yet to get numbers but it's on the list.

So it's been a couple months, the weather is finally turning nice yet due to work I haven't been able to move along as fast as I wanted. I did just dye all of the interior pieces and they match nicely to the new plastic dash. Next step is to start reinstalling the dash and A pillar trims, install the AC then start installing the rest of the interior. Still have a goal of end of the year daily driver.

Random dyed parts. Can you spot the new one?

My VIN:    * 5945 * Oct, 31, 1981. FranKenDeLorean

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning View Post
    So it's been a couple months, the weather is finally turning nice yet due to work I haven't been able to move along as fast as I wanted. I did just dye all of the interior pieces and they match nicely to the new plastic dash. Next step is to start reinstalling the dash and A pillar trims, install the AC then start installing the rest of the interior. Still have a goal of end of the year daily driver.

Random dyed parts. Can you spot the new one?
    Nice job, everything looks good to me. It's pretty impressive how you have taken the interior apart to do all this. I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Not something I would have the patience to do at this point in my Delorean ownership ; I think after 10 yrs of work and projects on mine , I'm at the point where I just want to cruise and enjoy the car for once. I redid the seat covers last year on mine and my hands just about felt like they were going to fall off after that one.

Hopefully you meet you goal by the end of the year,thanks for sharing the update,

--Randy
    ** A wave is like an empty canvas, waiting for a masterpiece -- unknown **
    ** VIN 5945 - FranKenDeLorean Oct 31, 1981 ** SpaceCoast, FL, USA ** DMCTalk Member/DMCOwner Since 2005

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9