FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can i buy a car in Canada and trailer it to the US?

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Can i buy a car in Canada and trailer it to the US?

Hi all. I am considering a new project in addition to my DeLorean. But I can't get a straight answer about this. If I buy a car in Canada can I bring it back to the US myself or do I have to do all the import paperwork first. Also if the car does not conform to US safety and DOT standards can I simply tell them it's for "off road use" at the border just to get it back? Is there an online resource anywhere I can get information about this? I may be able to register and title the vehicle as a "home built" in New York state later on.

I guess my main question is can I go and buy a car in Canada, trailer it back and worry about the paperwork later?

Thanks,
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Also my passport is expired. Do I need one to go to Canada? Haven't been out of the states in a while.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Also my passport is expired. Do I need one to go to Canada? Haven't been out of the states in a while.
    I believe a valid passport is a must nowadays. As I understand it, they did away with a driver's license or some other identification as being acceptable. This was done first when travelling via air, but I think it now also applies on the ground if you drive across the border.

A couple months ago in September, we had a bunch of the US owners come to the British Car Day in the Toronto area and most of them drove in their DeLoreans. Marty and Trish and some others from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, New York I think it was. You might want to see about getting in touch with one of them to double check. I remember one of them saying his passport was expired/lost right before the trip, but I don't remember what his solution was.

I can tell you as a Canadian I don't go anywhere without my passport, but it can be different depending on which side of that same border you are coming from versus going. Same for the car import paperwork. I can tell you quite a bit about how to bring a car into Canada from the US, but you'll need to hear from an American friend on how to do your paperwork going the other direction.

Where abouts in Canada are you going to get this car?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Ontario. Maybe. From long island it's only about 350 miles. Not %100 sure about it yet but just exploring my options.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Gotcha. Exploring ideas before diving in is a good way to do it in my books too.

If/when you get to Ontario and have any questions on how to do something here or where something is, etc., let me know.

My VIN:    3028

You will definitely need a us passport to get into canada. Also I just found out that if you had a DUI you can't come in.

As far as paperwork, not sure of the specifics but you will need some documentation, best to call your border crossing of choice.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    You will definitely need a us passport to get into canada. Also I just found out that if you had a DUI you can't come in.
    I don't doubt this part yet hadn't seen it clearly shown anywhere. If you're already here though, you can smoke some crack if you like, we'll even let you be mayor!! We're good with hookers as well... our Supreme Court just decided those sorts of prostitution laws aren't constitutional.

So, just to summarize:

Drunk driving = bad
    Crack and hoes = good

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

You definitely need a passport to cross over now.

As for taking the car now and doing paperwork later, no. You need to check in on both sides of the border when exporting/importing a car. You stop on the Canada side to send the car off, and the US side to bring the car in.

Here's a general idea of what to expect. As stated above, check in with the border crossing you plan on using. They'll have the definitive answers for your specific situation.

I recall when bringing my car across from the US TO Canada, I needed to notify the US side 72 hours in advance via FAX that I was coming. When I reached my border crossing, I needed to show proof of that advance notice in the form of a FAX confirmation (essentially a photocopy of the papers you FAXed with the date and time sent, plus number you sent it to in the header of the sheet). Do you need that to go from Canada to the US? I don't know. You'll need to, though.

Something I just found funny, is that while you can bring a vehicle into Canada after fifteen years from the date of manufacture without having to jump through a bunch of extra regulatory hoops, to do the same in the US requires the vehicle to be 25 years old. What are they so worried about that you need to wait a whole extra decade to bring in that Nissan Skyline?

What are you thinking of buying, btw? It was never mentioned. It may shed some light on exactly what you'll need to do.

Funny you mentioned that yes! I'm looking at a 1989 R-32 GTR Skyline. I hear more ridiculous misinformation about trying to do this so I thought I'd check here being we have a lot of Canadian members on the forum.

I should make it clear that I'm not %100. Sure I'm going to do this but i'd like to get as much information as possible first. A lot of Nissan and Nismo people are telling me it's impossible and that the USDOT and NHTSA have a war against the Skyline. But I think it's doable.

We'll see right now I'm just doing my homework. I'd like to get a fairly stock unmolested car. Not some fast and furious wannabe. One like this:

http://m.autotrader.ca/a/19_7677448
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Hi all. I am considering a new project in addition to my DeLorean...........Also if the car does not conform to US safety and DOT standards can I simply tell them it's for "off road use" at the border just to get it back? .................. I may be able to register and title the vehicle as a "home built" in New York state later on.

I guess my main question is can I go and buy a car in Canada, trailer it back and worry about the paperwork later?

Thanks,

If your vehicle is not titled as Off Road, then you can not change that fact unless you replace the frame for a custom made. Some States are more lenient than others, Texas is kind of easy to register vehicles, I believe New Mexico is even easier. If you are not planning to use it off road, then it is not worth going that route. If you really wanted for off road, then may be easier to register it as off road in Canada then iimport it as off road.

LEVY
    I would work extra hard at whatever I was doing to become so good at it and that I would never have to kiss anyone's fanny to keep my job. And I never have and I never will.

John Z. De Lorean

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast