FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Transporting w/car trailer

My VIN:    4519

The frame is solid, just has one tow loop busted off.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Finalizing plans for this week; I'll have tire straps available, so that should solve the issue of the missing front tow loop.

I'm going to secure and cover the louvre as suggested. The car will be pulled from a garage onto a flatbed using the rear tow loops, then reverse-operation into my garage.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It should roll unless the brakes are stuck. You won't need to winch it off the trailer, it should roll, but you may need to winch it into the garage. If the car has been sitting for a long time DON"T STEP ON THE BRAKES! That just jams the brakes on and the calipers will stick and the wheels won't turn easily. Use the parking brake. Leave the drive's window open and steer the car unless you have a helper that can turn the wheel and use the parking brake. If the car has been outside for a long time beware of critters that may have hitched a ride. You don't want them in your garage.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It should roll unless the brakes are stuck. You won't need to winch it off the trailer, it should roll, but you may need to winch it into the garage. If the car has been sitting for a long time DON"T STEP ON THE BRAKES! That just jams the brakes on and the calipers will stick and the wheels won't turn easily. Use the parking brake. Leave the drive's window open and steer the car unless you have a helper that can turn the wheel and use the parking brake. If the car has been outside for a long time beware of critters that may have hitched a ride. You don't want them in your garage.
    Good tips....thanks.

It has been garaged for ~15 years. Oddly, I could find no rodent nests in any of the usual locations...just a few pellets and a slightly chewed tool bag in the jack storage area.

If you see that expect to find more once you look deeper. Don't discount insects. On one car I bought, once it was in my warm garage, all of the spiders started dropping onto the floor looking for a new home. There have been stories of snakes slithering out of cars. Droppings can be an inhalation hazard so use a respirator or a face mask and dampen droppings before removal. Till the car is cleaned up treat it like a biological hazard. I like to try to wash the car down (the outsides and undercarriage) before rolling it into the garage. Till you get the battery and old gas out keep a fire extinguisher handy. Since it sat so long figure on draining all of the old fluids out. Before doing any work on the car make sure to get the car titled IN YOUR NAME! That way you KNOW it is YOUR car and not anyone else's and is not reported stolen. Since you are financing it you should insure it at least for theft and fire. You haven't looked inside the heater box yet. Pull the fan motor.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you see that expect to find more once you look deeper. Don't discount insects. On one car I bought, once it was in my warm garage, all of the spiders started dropping onto the floor looking for a new home. There have been stories of snakes slithering out of cars. Droppings can be an inhalation hazard so use a respirator or a face mask and dampen droppings before removal. Till the car is cleaned up treat it like a biological hazard. I like to try to wash the car down (the outsides and undercarriage) before rolling it into the garage. Till you get the battery and old gas out keep a fire extinguisher handy. Since it sat so long figure on draining all of the old fluids out. Before doing any work on the car make sure to get the car titled IN YOUR NAME! That way you KNOW it is YOUR car and not anyone else's and is not reported stolen. Since you are financing it you should insure it at least for theft and fire. You haven't looked inside the heater box yet. Pull the fan motor.

lol..."biological hazard." I get what you're saying, just sounds funny...haha.

Dude, I hope a snake comes slithering out: I'll make a video, keep it as a pet, and release it in the Spring.

It may sound extreme and creepy but it is true. There have been cases in the southwest US where people have contracted Hanta virus from mouse droppings. You can get parasites. Not only you but others living in the house or having contact with you. It is worth taking a few simple precautions. You don't want to have to fumigate your house because spiders or other insects got into the house. Just a heads up. Use rubber gloves and a paper face mask at least. Remove what you can and wipe down with bleach. At the first sign of insects "bomb" the car with insect spray. Be careful if there is mold too. Pull the fan motor and see what is in there. Check the underside of the seats. Pull the carpet.
    David Teitelbaum

My car was transported backwards safe & sound. I explained to the driver I wanted it transported backwards so it could be be deposited nose-first into my garage, and was prepared to cover & strap down the sunshade louvre. Without needing any DeLorean-specific information; he [very] kindly, but adamantly requested we remove the louvre. My arm is in a sling, and told him I wouldn't be able to remove it, so he took it off for me and we put it in the car. We used the cardboard [I brought] as a cushion between the louvre and the interior. He later thanked me for letting him talk me into removing it.....he said he once saw a disaster involving a sunroof on a car being towed backwards, the louvre had his attention right away, and he didn't want to be stressed out the entire ride.

He backed up to my garage entrance and I coasted off the ramp into my garage.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8