FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting w/car trailer

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    Something else to think of, will the door clear the trailer fender? U-haul trailers usually have fenders that fold away.
    That's not usually a problem if you have the car centered on the trailer.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    4519

I just spoke to my friend; the trailer deck is 20" high, the ramp is 6.5' wide x 4' long. That sounds like it'll be a bit steep...any thoughts on that?

BTW, thanks for all the feedback...

My VIN:    5180

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    I just spoke to my friend; the trailer deck is 20" high, the ramp is 6.5' wide x 4' long. That sounds like it'll be a bit steep...any thoughts on that?

BTW, thanks for all the feedback...
    You can also strategically park the trailer axles in a DIP/Ditch or area that makes the loading angle shallower. Including Blocking the trailer wheels and raising the tongue Jack all the way up to lower the the back end of the trailer.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You can also strategically park the trailer axles in a DIP/Ditch or area that makes the loading angle shallower. Including Blocking the trailer wheels and raising the tongue Jack all the way up to lower the the back end of the trailer.
    Ahhh....I like that! -Good tip, thanks.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    ...the trailer deck is 20" high, the ramp is 6.5' wide x 4' long. That sounds like it'll be a bit steep...any thoughts on that?
    Yes, that's going to be a problem unless you can, as suggested, tilt the deck for loading/unloading and/or drive the car on and off from a higher elevation. I'm assuming that "4' long" is the dimension parallel to the loading/driving direction. The 6.5' ramp width is more than enough.

From p.40 of the Owners Handbook the ramp angles for a stock-height D are 22deg (front) and 27deg (rear).

The 20in. rise to the top of a 4ft/48in ramp length works out to a ramp angle of ~25deg, exceeding the front limit. To stay below a 22deg front ramp angle you need the rear of the deck to be less than 18in higher than the rear of the ramps are.

You also don't want to high-center the car over the rear of the deck halfway up/down during loading/unloading.

Another idea: Longer/additional ramps to decrease the ramp angle for any given deck height. Make sure they can take the load...

With the planning you're doing things will be fine.

Let us know when you take possession and we'll roll out a bigger welcome.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Another idea: Longer/additional ramps to decrease the ramp angle for any given deck height. Make sure they can take the load...
    2x6's even. If that would give you enough extra room. Get two of them say two feet long or something, and then place them so the trailer ramp comes down on the end of them. Drive up on the opposite end and you'll be a couple inches closer to your allowed loading angle. Similar advice if you can't get a jack under your (lowered) car. Drive up on some wood and then slide the jack underneath.

If it hasn't already been mentioned, make sure there is lots of air pressure in the tires. If the tires are low it will make your angle worse.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I just trailered a 1985 Pontiac Fiero on a uhaul "vehicle towing " trailer. Not a tow dolly. I brought it from New Jersey to Long Island. Once on the trailer, even though the car was centered, I couldn't get the drivers door open, even with the fender hinged down. I had to climb out of the window okie the Dukes of Hazard. Couldn't put the window up once out. Thankfully it didn't start raining until I got back to Long Island and got the car off the trailer and the window back up. I've never put a D on a trailer, but I can see it having the same issues, not being able to open the door once up on the trailer. And the D is wider than my fiero.
    Just food for thought, it may be worth going to uhaul and doing some measurements first, you can't climb out f a delorean window, unless you are anorexic. Where in NYS are you? Near Long Island?
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Quote Originally Posted by Westenddmc12 View Post
    Once on the trailer, even though the car was centered, I couldn't get the drivers door open, even with the fender hinged down. ?
    DeLorean doors go up. They never hit those fenders unless you have it on the trailer off-center, in which case you go around to the other side.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If it hasn't already been mentioned, make sure there is lots of air pressure in the tires. If the tires are low it will make your angle worse.
    Conversely, if you have a portable air compressor and a lot of patience, you can flatten the trailer tires while loading the car. Total PITA, but a last resort if you can't borrow/rent a better trailer for the purpose.
    Dave S
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Ok, as I said, I've never put a D on a trailer. Just relaying my experience with A different car.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast