FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Transporting w/car trailer

My VIN:    4519

Thanks for all the suggestions....very helpful for sure. Hopefully I'll put them to use, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Rich

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions....very helpful for sure. Hopefully I'll put them to use, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Rich
    I have towed many Deloreans. The best way is with an enclosed trailer and backed in so you have plenty of weight on the tongue. If using an open trailer you can back it on but you then have to either remove the sunshade or use a tarp so it can't catch the wind. If you can move it far enough forward you should be able to get enough tongue weight if you drive it on. Get two 2X4 about 4 feet long and place them on and ahead of the ramps to get enough clearance so you don't damage things. Tie to the tow hooks if they are not rusty otherwise either straps around the tires or chains to the frame. Don't touch the lower control arms. Once fastened, no parking brake and neutral. Best if you can cover it so you don't have gawkers. Lock it if you can so when you stop no one can open the car. When first starting out check your tie downs every 15 minutes or so till they no longer have to be tightened. Check tire pressure in the trailer tires and the lugnuts. Every time you stop inspect the hitch and check the trailer lights. Be careful when large trucks and trailers pass you because the trailer will sway. Leave extra stopping distance and take turns wide and slow. Plan so you do not have to back up if possible. Make sure the trailer has a spare tire. Cross the safety chains under the hitch. If the trailer starts to sway hold the wheel straight ahead and take your foot off the gas. Do not hit the brakes.
    You do not have to do the speed limit, do what feels comfortable, especially if the weather is bad. Tolls will be expensive.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I have towed many Deloreans. The best way is with an enclosed trailer and backed in so you have plenty of weight on the tongue. If using an open trailer you can back it on but you then have to either remove the sunshade or use a tarp so it can't catch the wind. If you can move it far enough forward you should be able to get enough tongue weight if you drive it on. Get two 2X4 about 4 feet long and place them on and ahead of the ramps to get enough clearance so you don't damage things. Tie to the tow hooks if they are not rusty otherwise either straps around the tires or chains to the frame. Don't touch the lower control arms. Once fastened, no parking brake and neutral. Best if you can cover it so you don't have gawkers. Lock it if you can so when you stop no one can open the car. When first starting out check your tie downs every 15 minutes or so till they no longer have to be tightened. Check tire pressure in the trailer tires and the lugnuts. Every time you stop inspect the hitch and check the trailer lights. Be careful when large trucks and trailers pass you because the trailer will sway. Leave extra stopping distance and take turns wide and slow. Plan so you do not have to back up if possible. Make sure the trailer has a spare tire. Cross the safety chains under the hitch. If the trailer starts to sway hold the wheel straight ahead and take your foot off the gas. Do not hit the brakes.
    You do not have to do the speed limit, do what feels comfortable, especially if the weather is bad. Tolls will be expensive.
    Thanks Dave...good stuff.

My VIN:    891, 1045

Here are a few images of the DeLoreans I have towed. I only had trouble loading 891, the last pic as the bodytub was essentially broken in two pieces and was partially dragging. 20" seems like a fair estimate for the deck height. All these cars were at the stock U.S. suspension height however. As was noted before, having some 2x6's handy would likely fix any issues with loading a lowered car.

As you can see I used two different generations of Uhaul trailers, but the positioning is about the same on the trailer. I put the D in balls deep and it rides fine with more weight forward of the center of the trailer for safe towing. I never needed to fold the fenders either. Some fenders are welded in place and do not fold.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

James (eagle-co94) had a great idea posting photos of DeLoreans on trailers for towing. Attaching a few below:

GN-on-trailer-1.jpg

GN-on-trailer-2.jpg

These photos are taken just before DCS 2008 with my Grand National DeLorean on one of my single place trailers.
    I purchased this trailer from a Porsche Club member (back in my Porsche phase, about two decades ago) who used
    it to trailer his Race 911 before he upgraded to an enclosed trailer. The bump stop was already set for rear engine.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Here's a couple I have picked up (photos, not cars)

No idea whose cars they are except the first one, which is from that recent GE commercial

How Germany does it:

and using a dolly:

Attached Images
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    No idea whose cars they are except the first one, which is from that recent GE commercial
    The first one is not the car from the GE commercial... It looks like Paul Nigh's car maybe?

GE used TMR's 'flagship' replica car built by Temporal FX for their recent commercial.

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    The first one is not the car from the GE commercial... It looks like Paul Nigh's car maybe?

GE used TMR's 'flagship' replica car built by Temporal FX for their recent commercial.
    ?? It says "GE Brilliant Machines" on the door ???

maybe it's a replica of a replica
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Looks like a tentative for Sunday. I have the trailer arranged (borrowing from a friend.) I'll bring some 2x6's, a floor jack and a positive attitude!

I'll also take some pics

My VIN:    891, 1045

Yes, pics or it didn't happen!
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast