FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Transporting w/car trailer

My VIN:    4519

Quote Originally Posted by eagle-co94 View Post
    My main concern was the design of those trailers. The floors are normally just angle iron and not I-beams and they're spaced about every 2-3' with simple metal mesh laid down. Adding a wood floor helps, but the floors are designed for evenly distributed loads, not concentrated in 4 small contact patches. Ride on mowers, ATV's and motorcycles are more typical in a trailer like that.
    Valid concern for sure....I'm with you on that.

I'll take a look underneath for curiosity's sake....I think it's box-channel but not sure.

My VIN:    891, 1045

It may be a boxed frame if it's got its own brakes.
    -James . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise." ~ H.P.G.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Can anyone recommend the car trailer from Uhaul to use? Is this what everyone has used?
    https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-...ort-Rental/AT/
    Shannon

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Can anyone recommend the car trailer from Uhaul to use? Is this what everyone has used?
    https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/Auto-...ort-Rental/AT/
    Yeah. We see those all the time. Heavy steel, don't pull with something light. They balance ok with the car facing forward since the car is so short. U- haul will want you using a pickup or suburban.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

When I moved from upstate New York to Florida, I successfully used their tow dolly that only holds the front tires.

It may not be the ideal way to trailer the car, and I also had to reinstall the original springs because being lowered I could not get the car onto the dolly. There were a variety of reasons I couldn't use the full car trailer, all I can say is it is doable with a dolly. This was 7 years ago.
    Last edited by dn010; 01-16-2017 at 04:17 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yeah. We see those all the time. Heavy steel, don't pull with something light. They balance ok with the car facing forward since the car is so short. U- haul will want you using a pickup or suburban.
    I can second this. I've driven across the Continental Divide in high winds pulling my DeLorean on one of these, and never had an issue with trailer sway. They're pretty easy to load with the folding fender, and have a enough low deck that they make loading disabled cars simple. I use a retrieval strap between both front tow hooks to pull evenly, and then use a ratcheting hand winch to pull the car up halfway onto the trailer. From there you can connect the winch to your hitch assembly to easily pull the car the rest of the way up to secure it.

BTW, are you leaving Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    When I moved from upstate New York to Florida, I successfully used their tow dolly that only holds the front tires.
    Unless you are pulling either a FWD car (or a 4x4 with a transfer case that completely disconnects the transmission), I would staunchly advise against using a tow dolly.

There is too much risk involved with burning out synchros or locking up the gearbox if something pulls/pushes on the shifter. And you can't even do it with an automatic since you'd burn up the insides since no fluid is pumping.

Yes, there are kits that will enable you to do this with an auto, but I highly doubt that unless you regularly pull your DeLorean with an RV, you're going to mod it to install a lube pump and additional fluid cooler. Especially when it's cheaper to get the full trailer if you're just moving.

Not trying to browbeat or anything, just giving some advise to stay safe. If you were going across town or something, you could get away with a dolly. But not cross country.
    Last edited by DMCVegas; 01-16-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Adding 2nd response/cleaning up.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

You can also always remove the drive shafts...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Unless you are pulling either a FWD car (or a 4x4 with a transfer case that completely disconnects the transmission), I would staunchly advise against using a tow dolly.

There is too much risk involved with burning out synchros or locking up the gearbox if something pulls/pushes on the shifter. And you can't even do it with an automatic since you'd burn up the insides since no fluid is pumping.

Yes, there are kits that will enable you to do this with an auto, but I highly doubt that unless you regularly pull your DeLorean with an RV, you're going to mod it to install a lube pump and additional fluid cooler. Especially when it's cheaper to get the full trailer if you're just moving.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    You can also always remove the drive shafts...
    You are absolutely correct on that. Yes, removing the driveshafts would also work to enable you to use a tow dolly.

For any RWD car or truck that you tow, this is an option as long as you either have an Independent Rear Suspension like we do, or you have a Fixed Yoke Driveshaft. If you have a slip yoke on a solid axle, you'll spill out all your gear oil from the transmission when you pull the driveshaft and will need to refill it. If you're in a tight spot and can't get a trailer for a RWD vehicle, removal of the driveshafts is an option. Otherwise you've just got to consider the time spent removing and reinstalling the drive shaft(s), and consider if that is worth your time.

Keep in mind too that when towing a car with a dolly instead of a trailer, the front wheels of the vehicle being towed still turn, so you can't back up. And if you've disabled the vehicle by removing the drive shaft(s), you can't quickly unload and reload it to pull your truck out of a tight spot. So always keep it in a straight line, and only park in places where you can drive forward to leave.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Another good point. Key needs to be in the ignition to disable the lock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you do use a tow dolly,the car, since it is on the ground, is supposed to have plates and insurance. If you use a trailer you don't need the plates on the car but you should still have insurance. With a dolly you can use a smaller tow vehicle too. Make sure you have good tires on the car if you use a tow dolly and it is best to remove the drive shafts. Many States now require recovery lights if you use a dolly. They are held on with magnets so you must figure out how to secure them on a Delorean. If you tow backwards, either on a dolly OR an open trailer, you must either remove the rear louvers or cover them with a tarp to keep it from flying off. if you are towing a car with a rotten frame you must find a way to secure it firmly. You cannot use the usual loops. Never pull on the lower control arms to move or secure the car, they will bend. Stop often and check your trailer and the load, the tires, and the lights. Take your time trailering a car. I like to cover it if I am not using a closed trailer so it is not so obvious what the car is. Also keeps parts from falling off and keeps the car cleaner. Just make sure any cover is on tightly so it doesn't flap and beat up the S/S. NEVER try to back up with a tow dolly.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast