FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here have Google Glass?

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Anyone here have Google Glass?

I think the thread title pretty much sums up the question. I received my invitation code from Google today to purchase Google Glass and I'm wondering if anyone here has Google Glass? What are your thoughts?

I don't want this to get into a debate as to if people think they are geeky, stupid, dangerous while driving, etc. I'm just wondering if any DMCTalkers have hands-on experience with them.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I say buy them no matter what. if you don't love them, put them on ebay where they will no doubt command a premium.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Wrong Section

Moderators: Can you please move this thread to the general discussion section?
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

One of my friends recently bought a (pair? set?) of Google Glass, and I got to play with it for quite a while a few weeks ago. It is neat, but frankly I was a little disappointed with it. The first surprise was that the "screen" is smaller than I expected when putting them on. The resolution is good, but that's fairly easy to achieve when the projected screen area isn't that big. The functions seemed pretty basic, and after playing with it for about 30 minutes, I felt kind of bored and like I had done everything it can do. It has voice recognition, and a touchpad on the temple, but it is crude compared to the touchpad on a laptop. There is no "mouse," it's just up/down forward/backward. It takes pictures, surfs the web, makes calls, sends texts, and it seems like that's about it. I know that's amazing for a pair of glasses, but call me spoiled by using computers most of my life and smartphones for 2+ years. Oh I almost forgot, it does link wirelessly in real time to your smartphone, so your smartphone screen can see what your Google Glass is seeing -- that was pretty impressive.

My friend mentioned he's disappointed with the battery life, and that would be the most important improvement in his opinion. He also said this version is more like a proof of concept, and a great indicator of things to come down the road, but he admitted there's not a whole lot you can really "do" with it right now.

Don't know if you're a Star Trek TNG fan, but the whole time we couldn't stop making jokes about the episode "The Game."

Just curious, can I ask what the price is through an invitation directly from Google?
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post

Just curious, can I ask what the price is through an invitation directly from Google?
    Thanks for your input! The price from Google is $1,500 plus tax. Very expensive, especially considering it might cost $500 if/when it actually gets released to the public.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

The thing is, when you buy them from Google, the fine print says you agree not to resell them and may only "gift" them away.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by DL4567 View Post
    One of my friends recently bought a (pair? set?) of Google Glass, and I got to play with it for quite a while a few weeks ago. It is neat, but frankly I was a little disappointed with it. The first surprise was that the "screen" is smaller than I expected when putting them on. The resolution is good, but that's fairly easy to achieve when the projected screen area isn't that big. The functions seemed pretty basic, and after playing with it for about 30 minutes, I felt kind of bored and like I had done everything it can do. It has voice recognition, and a touchpad on the temple, but it is crude compared to the touchpad on a laptop. There is no "mouse," it's just up/down forward/backward. It takes pictures, surfs the web, makes calls, sends texts, and it seems like that's about it. I know that's amazing for a pair of glasses, but call me spoiled by using computers most of my life and smartphones for 2+ years. Oh I almost forgot, it does link wirelessly in real time to your smartphone, so your smartphone screen can see what your Google Glass is seeing -- that was pretty impressive.
    Derek

did you have any issue with eye strain switching between looking at Glass and looking at the real world? As I have gotten older I notice more of a delay in refocusing when my eyes switch from looking at my phone to, say, someone talking to me. And vice versa. So I wonder if it would be a huge PITA switching to something so close to my eye. Or looking at something so close for so long.

and why aren't they called Google Glasses? Just annoys me every time I read it. Bah humbug!
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Derek

did you have any issue with eye strain switching between looking at Glass and looking at the real world? As I have gotten older I notice more of a delay in refocusing when my eyes switch from looking at my phone to, say, someone talking to me. And vice versa. So I wonder if it would be a huge PITA switching to something so close to my eye. Or looking at something so close for so long.
    I'd guess that the virtual distance of the projected image is about 5 ft away from your face, rather than 1 inch away, so eye strain isn't that big of an issue. I had to keep my near-sighted prescription eyeglasses on under the Google Glass, otherwise the screen looked blurry, which is further evidence that you're looking at something at a bit of a distance. If it was close I would have been able to see it clearly without my glasses. My vision isn't the best in general (I notice the slow focus change when looking up from something close too, hehe) so I'm sure I'd experience some eye strain if I used the Google Glass for hours, but it's probably not that bad for most people.

One thing I didn't mention in my other post is that the screen isn't straight in front of you, but rather a little above straight ahead. I guess that's to keep it out of the way of your regular vision, but it still takes some getting used to.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

I don't want to be part of the Human race Roman Legion's Avatar

My VIN:    VIN in progress.

Club(s):   (DCVA) (LVDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Just make sure they're compatible with Human physiology.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Virtual_display_device

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast