FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Custom instrument cluster illumination

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    For those who want to do this and may not know where to start, just search for "5050 rgb led strip" which will get you the light strip itself. I buy this in rolls of 5 meters for around 10 bucks a roll. The controllers are very diverse. Simple to complex remotes. For this project, the inline controller shown below works fine and it's only a few bucks. Other than some hook up wire to extend the lengths from the strip to the controller to the power source, that's all you need!
    Could you provide a part number or link for the particular controller you used?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    Could you provide a part number or link for the particular controller you used?
    Just search for "RGB inline controller"
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Led strip

Is the led strip infront or behind the Perspex cover?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    Is the led strip infront or behind the Perspex cover?

Thanks
    Actually neither. I placed it on top of the cluster under the light box roof panel. Point the LED's up so they are facing the roof. When the roof is put back into place, it diffuses the light so that it comes in evenly through the long openings above the gauges.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Any idea why the cluster ceiling is Light Turquoise as opposed to White? Does it Matter? Do you think that coloration effects the color? I know that with Standard incandescent bulbs in a backlit application, Green characters use a turquoise Filter so it appears GREEN when the light mixes. It's the old yellow & blue makes Green standard.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Any idea why the cluster ceiling is Light Turquoise as opposed to White? Does it Matter? Do you think that coloration effects the color? I know that with Standard incandescent bulbs in a backlit application, Green characters use a turquoise Filter so it appears GREEN when the light mixes. It's the old yellow & blue makes Green standard.
    2 things you can do. You can paint it white or if you don't want to do anything permanent, you can put a piece of sheet plastic in with double sided tape. Sheet plastic can be found at any good hobby store and it's molded in white.

I didn't do anything to mine, but it was a very light shade of turquoise. I just thought it was aging and it was still almost white.

I would suggest you place the cover in place and test them. You will probably find the lights are so intense that the color of the box will not matter very much.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Michael said he forgot to take a picture of the LEDs in place. I just did this mod and am very pleased. I'm still figuring out all the different settings with the controller however.... here is a pic.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    3472 (former), 1141

Club(s):   (RMDG) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Nice work Michael! I am going to try this same thing, but plan on using a strip of UV LEDs . . .

Thinking that I will probably keep the regular Incandescent's or LEDs for the odometer illumination.

Will post here if I can get something working that illuminates everything properly.

This is what I have with just replacing the incandescent illumination bulbs with UV, and it is not nearly bright enough:
    BlackLight Instrument Cluster.jpg
    Michael Babb

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Has anyone tried UV and RGB LEDs? RGB's for the illumination, UV for the glow.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    05141

I am waiting for a nice solution from Dave one day.....

Jan

Steering with power

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast