FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fan Relay Control

My VIN:    10270

Since this thread is getting some more attention...

For those using MS to control the cooling fans, any recommended settings for on/off temps? I have my temp sensor in the Y pipe but the otterstat is far enough downstream that it seems like slightly hotter temp points would be called for.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Received the correct Zener diodes yesterday, I have a ton of them but not the number you posted. Installed it today and the problem disappeared! Thank you again for posting that Dave, one less frustration now. I am on to heat shrink wrapping the install now, always something to do. By the way, I haven't forgotten about ordering your dimmer relay, just need to figure out the rest of my alarm removal situation first, one of these days I'll be done.

thanks again - Dan B.
    Glad it fixed it. The part number you use is not that critical. The part just needs to clamp that inductive spike.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post

For those using MS to control the cooling fans, any recommended settings for on/off temps? I have my temp sensor in the Y pipe but the otterstat is far enough downstream that it seems like slightly hotter temp points would be called for.
    I'm planning on doing some testing soon. I plan to install my "solid state otterstat" in the coolant return line going to the water pump and I will stick a thermal sensor (reads out on my multimeter) in there also. First test will keep the OEM otterstat controlling the fans to just see what the return line does.

Still not sure why the otterstat is in the feed line to the radiator.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am running off of the temp sensor located in the head, rear passenger side, I was able to find a good value table for this sensor which gives the ECU pretty accurate temp readings. I can look during my lunch hour to verify, but I am 99.9% sure I have it set to the stock 190 on 210 off setting.

EDIT: Actually I am already wrong. The sensor in the head I have running to my gauge. I'm using the sensor in the water pump (pump and sensor is from a 1987 Volvo 780) to feed the temp to my ECU. The sensor I am sure can be installed in the stock D pump.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-19-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Since the threading matched, I have mine in the return Y pipe in place of the vacuum switch. Seemed like a decent place to get an accurate read.

If it fits tho, I might move the sensor to the water pump as I'm considering putting my turbo water return and oil heat exchanger returns into the Y pipe instead. Right now it's an untidy H pipe into the heater return hose, but I could install fitting in place of the kjet sensors and run the hoses that way.

The Y pipe is a return, right? Am I looking at the flow path correctly? Coolant flows up, out the mini hoses into the heads (and tstat once open) and then returns from the Y pipe and heater hard pipe?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Since the threading matched, I have mine in the return Y pipe in place of the vacuum switch. Seemed like a decent place to get an accurate read.

If it fits tho, I might move the sensor to the water pump as I'm considering putting my turbo water return and oil heat exchanger returns into the Y pipe instead. Right now it's an untidy H pipe into the heater return hose, but I could install fitting in place of the kjet sensors and run the hoses that way.

The Y pipe is a return, right? Am I looking at the flow path correctly? Coolant flows up, out the mini hoses into the heads (and tstat once open) and then returns from the Y pipe and heater hard pipe?

I used the water pump location because that is where the sensor was originally on the B280F. Didn't feel like messing around with more work when a swap is already enough work and wiring, etc.

Attached are coolant routes, one is the B28F, the other the 3.0 and they're pretty much both the same (heater core and expansion tank differences). B280F engine that I'm using has the oil heat exchanger lines running #1 from the block & #2 a line running to the the steel "return" pipe (stock D's engine steel return pipe is different with only one enter/exit passage). If you need sensor information or resistor values I have them depending on which sensor you're using.

IMG_1513.jpg
    IMG_1514.jpg
    -----Dan B.

Thanks for posting that! I'd seen it months ago but could not find it again.

So the Y pipe for supply and not for return, so much for my hypothesis

Looks like I will put together a better solution for the turbo & exchanger return lines.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3