FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Transmission computer

My VIN:    5470

Transmission computer

So I recently bought one of Michaels trans filter kits, which I plan to install this summer. Right now the car is running fine, I just figured it was good insurance. After reading about some of the other issues people have had, I was wondering if it could be worthwhile to replace the trans computer (governor) as well? At $300 it's not cheap, but beats the price of a trans rebuild. Do these fail often enough with catastrophic results that it's worth the investment?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

It's a very common problem with the automatics. The age of the electrical components inside is not in your favor. If I had an auto car, it would be on my short list for a preemptive replacement (insurance) if it hadn't been done by a PO. I'd rather not gamble and wait for it to fail at the most inconvenient time like vacation traveling. It's one of those critical components that is needed for the car to function properly like the fuel pump.

For comparison, a low mile car with manual trans has a clutch. If you have to pull the the transmission for a leaking rear main seal, it is standard practice to replace the Clutch ($350+) whether needed or not and depending on the age (history) the OE (old) hydraulic components-master cylinder, clutch line and Slave cylinder. ($400)

Now your computer governor doesn't seem quite so expensive does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3937

The real damage comes from continuing to drive it after, or while, it's failing. If it fails and starts to feel like it's slipping, giving you no power in a gear, or revving really high when you press the gas like it's in neutral, continuing to drive it will damage components inside that will need the rebuild to correct.

So, advice? If you get some of these things happening hinting yours has failed, put it back in the garage (towed home unless you're right around the corner) and fix it before driving more.

Proactive replacement? Often a "theoretically" good idea, but in practice, I've found even simple jobs you think you have all planned out still don't go as planned with either cost or schedule.

If you really want to get it done proactively, which I personally wouldn't if the car is showing no symptoms, I would do it in the off season, like next Fall before you put the car away. Keep in mind the DMCH rebuilt unit (which is good and what I have) generally needs your core and so isn't a typical spare part you can keep in a box in your garage to have ready to go when you need it.

Do you know for certain your shift computer has never been worked on? I think you just got your car, right?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by rickjames8 View Post
    . Do these fail often enough with catastrophic results that it's worth the investment?
    Yes, they seem to fail fairly often, but rarely/never with catastrophic results. As Jonathan says, it's only if you ignore the signs and keep on driving it, that you would see problems.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If it hasn't failed by now it will probably be OK for a long time. If you ever have a problem there is a "Limp Home" mode. If you are driving and it starts to shift erratically you can always pull fuse # 13 and drive it slowly because you only have 3rd gear. Doing the filter and an oil change is a good idea. Follow the level checking procedure on G:04:02 and do all of the other external "On Car" checks and adjustments. You can also buy PJ Grady's fins to put on the transmission oil cooler. Don't forget to change the final drive gear oil. Check the auto trans oil level once in a while. Make doubly sure all of the wiring to the shift computer is secured and well away from the hot exhaust pipes. Do all of this and the transmission can last a long time.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5470

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The real damage comes from continuing to drive it after, or while, it's failing. If it fails and starts to feel like it's slipping, giving you no power in a gear, or revving really high when you press the gas like it's in neutral, continuing to drive it will damage components inside that will need the rebuild to correct.

So, advice? If you get some of these things happening hinting yours has failed, put it back in the garage (towed home unless you're right around the corner) and fix it before driving more.

Do you know for certain your shift computer has never been worked on? I think you just got your car, right?
    Thanks for the advice/opinion. Most of my drives are very short, so I'd rarely be far from home, so I think I'll change the filter and fluid and see how we go.

Yes, just got the car in November. I am not sure if this was ever replaced. I have zero documentation from previous owners. I'd have to imagine the first owner (lotsa miles, lotsa years) probably had a nice stack of papers, likely lost in one of the subsequent sales. I got a title and a handshake. Oh, and a car.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you don't know the service history the first thing you should do is replace all of the fluids and filters. Check the date codes on the tires and battery. Replace tires over 7 years and battery over 5. Replace the wiper blades. If the struts won't hold things up replace them. Grease the front end. Check for leaks, cuts in the C/V boots, trailing arm bolts and exhaust leaks. Replace the belts and the two idler pulley bearings. Make sure all of the recalls and service bulletins have been done and the relay upgrade. Drive the car and note any problems and fix them. Good idea to remove all of the fuel and wipe out the gas tank to get rid of any dirt.
    David Teitelbaum