FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: UC Davis Picnic Day 2014 - Who's interested?!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

UC Davis Picnic Day 2014 - Who's interested?!

Hey guys!

It's that time again. UC Davis' 100th anniversary Picnic Day is only 89 days away (April 12th) We need to start getting our application in order for this year.

For those of you who don't know or remember, Picnic Day is the highlight of the NorCal calendar (at least in my mind!) - it's a fun, low stress, low speed parade where we very clearly steal the show every year. We get tons of attention and it's a great time.

Who's interested? Last year we had 5 cars. This year I'm really, really hoping we can double it and get 10 of us.

Same requirements apply as last year (you need to have current license, registration, insurance and provide copies of all the documentation, as well as have a fire extinguisher in your car and sign a statement of rules) but I will be coordinating with interested drivers for that in a couple months.
    Last edited by jawn101; 01-13-2014 at 09:22 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    1768

I dont know if my clutch can handle another one of those parades, Plus ive done four of them. What can we do to make it more interesting for us drivers?

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    I dont know if my clutch can handle another one of those parades, Plus ive done four of them. What can we do to make it more interesting for us drivers?
    I hear you there. I get anxious about my clutch every year, but I have the car to do drives like this so "well, I figured, what the hell."

As far as making it more interesting...
    • We could talk about doing a theme and dress up the cars
      • 100 year anniversary is ripe with time travel possibilities of 1914 UC Davis theme
      • BTTF
      • 80s
      • Pixar Planes/Cars - We could dress up the cars to be airplanes from the new(ish) movie, complete with (gull)wings

• Costumes for drivers/passengers
    • Scripted routine - periodically we stop the cars, get out, and re-enact a scene from BTTF, do a cheesy short and simple dance, or some other scripted thing

That all takes time though to prepare. Depends on how badly you want it to be interesting. Would be fun with the right idea that everyone could get behind.

Oh, and I'm in for the parade.
    David Proehl

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    I hear you there. I get anxious about my clutch every year, but I have the car to do drives like this so "well, I figured, what the hell."

As far as making it more interesting...
    • We could talk about doing a theme and dress up the cars
      • 100 year anniversary is ripe with time travel possibilities of 1914 UC Davis theme
      • BTTF
      • 80s
      • Pixar Planes/Cars - We could dress up the cars to be airplanes from the new(ish) movie, complete with (gull)wings

• Costumes for drivers/passengers
    • Scripted routine - periodically we stop the cars, get out, and re-enact a scene from BTTF, do a cheesy short and simple dance, or some other scripted thing

That all takes time though to prepare. Depends on how badly you want it to be interesting. Would be fun with the right idea that everyone could get behind.

Oh, and I'm in for the parade.
    Ha! I like these ideas. We could definitely do something fun like that.
    Jon

My wife says that the staff at UCD is also suggesting that we do something like dress up as though it was the first picnic day. Given the parade's theme this year and our time-traveling roots, this could be a lot of fun. Plus, I know Clint and Brian have steampunk in their veins.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Hey guys!

It's that time again. UC Davis' 100th anniversary Picnic Day is only 89 days away (April 12th) We need to start getting our application in order for this year.

For those of you who don't know or remember, Picnic Day is the highlight of the NorCal calendar (at least in my mind!) - it's a fun, low stress, low speed parade where we very clearly steal the show every year. We get tons of attention and it's a great time.

Who's interested? Last year we had 5 cars. This year I'm really, really hoping we can double it and get 10 of us.

Same requirements apply as last year (you need to have current license, registration, insurance and provide copies of all the documentation, as well as have a fire extinguisher in your car and sign a statement of rules) but I will be coordinating with interested drivers for that in a couple months.

I'm in for this one............

Stephen

My VIN:    11280

I think this is far enough away to either be all in or once again have my car in pieces. I'm shooting for all in! I can definitely help with 80s themed stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Hand-Schaub View Post
    I think this is far enough away to either be all in or once again have my car in pieces. I'm shooting for all in! I can definitely help with 80s themed stuff...
    LOL, nice options Brian

We have to do 1900's themed stuff, not 80's this year! So... i dunno, mutton chops and derby hats?
    Jon

OK, I put in our application. Like last year, I told them to expect 10 cars, no more but possibly less. I hope we can find something to spice up the entry this year and make this the best parade yet!
    Jon

NCDMC

My VIN:    10911 and 05794

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    OK, I put in our application. Like last year, I told them to expect 10 cars, no more but possibly less. I hope we can find something to spice up the entry this year and make this the best parade yet!
    So far it looks like a good day on my calendar. Hopefully I'll have my AC working by then.

And I do tons of costuming. Pick an era and I probably have a costume for it.

Ken

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast