FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Converting non-standard weights & measures.

My VIN:    4519

Converting non-standard weights & measures.

How much does a metric shit-ton weigh?

How 'bout it's volume?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

A metric ton of shit weighs 2204 standard, or Imperial, pounds. Call it 2200lbs.

The volume would depend on the animal and its immediately preceding diet, I would assume.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    A metric ton of shit weighs 2204 standard, or Imperial, pounds. Call it 2200lbs.

The volume would depend on the animal and its immediately preceding diet, I would assume.
    Thanks...lol!

My VIN:    3937

Is there something full of shit you need emptying Rich?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Is there something full of shit you need emptying Rich?
    Nothing other than myself...LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Nothing other than myself...LOL!
    Haha. Wasn't sure if you were joking or seriously wondering about the metric system?

... I'll bite though... a lot of the metric system seems to have been based on keeping things simple and using multiplications of 10 or 0.1. The standards are generally based on somewhat known items like the length of a meter or weight of a kilogram. And going from weight to volume or length was meant to be easier to understand. 1 kilogram of water at a standard temperature and pressure is a volume equal to 1 litre. And 1,000 litres is equal to one cubic meter. That same water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and boils at 100 degrees C. As things get bigger, you'll see them scaled up using kilo for 1,000, centi for 100 or mega for 1,000,000. Conversely, getting smaller by 1,000 (or 0.001 rather) is milli, nano, pico, etc. Just about all units can be derived from the basics like grams, meters, seconds, Newtons, and what not to get acceleration or velocity. Ok, enough of that... lol

I thought this thing was cool to show you the scale of the universe idea and how big or small certain units are. It's not solely metric system applicable here of course.

It's called The Scale of the Universe and the link is here: http://htwins.net/ (as I can't upload an Excel file here apparently, or a big one I guess).

Haha. Wasn't sure if you were joking or seriously wondering about the metric system?
    I was just joking..hahaha!

I'm a big fan of the Metric system; Base 10 like you said, helluva lot simpler than the ridiculous U.S Standard system. I think we'd be converted if it wasn't for my Dad's generation hitting the panic button back when I was in grade school and we were supposed to convert.

Metric System is Base 10
    Our money is counted in Base 10
    We weigh & measure in Base #&(^@_)(!$&. and claim the Metric system is too hard...LOL!

I thought this thing was cool to show you the scale of the universe idea and how big or small certain units are. It's not solely metric system applicable here of course.

It's called The Scale of the Universe and the link is here: http://htwins.net/ (as I can't upload an Excel file here apparently, or a big one I guess).
    Scale of the Universe thing is cool - wow, my head hurts now....yeow!

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

... I'll bite though... a lot of the metric system seems to have been based on keeping things simple and using multiplications of 10 or 0.1. The standards are generally based on somewhat known items like the length of a meter or weight of a kilogram. And going from weight to volume or length was meant to be easier to understand. 1 kilogram of water at a standard temperature and pressure is a volume equal to 1 litre. And 1,000 litres is equal to one cubic meter. That same water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius and boils at 100 degrees C. As things get bigger, you'll see them scaled up using kilo for 1,000, centi for 100 or mega for 1,000,000. Conversely, getting smaller by 1,000 (or 0.001 rather) is milli, nano, pico, etc. Just about all units can be derived from the basics like grams, meters, seconds, Newtons, and what not to get acceleration or velocity. Ok, enough of that... lol
    I remember back in the late '70s, hearing that the U.S. conversion to the Metric System was right around the corner; I'm still waiting to see that happen...

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    I remember back in the late '70s, hearing that the U.S. conversion to the Metric System was right around the corner; I'm still waiting to see that happen...
    Yup, I was in Elementary School when we got started. As I recall, the adults when into panic mode, we didn't complete the mission, and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    lol, don't worry... a lot of the world is waiting and wondering when that will happen as well.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jdQMXJksLa...option_map.png

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast